Author Topic: RIPE Atlas Probe Trouble - Solution  (Read 6718 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
RIPE Atlas Probe Trouble - Solution
« on: July 04, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »
Recently I've been having problems with my probes being dead on the network.

Support sent me this info which fixed me up.  I thought I should pass it along.

Recently, many users have reported problems with their probes. An internal investigation showed that the cause might be a corrupt filesystem on the USB stick.

We came up with a possible solution that should help in most cases and we are asking for your help in performing these simple steps to get your probe up and running again:

1. Unplug the probe from its power source
 2. Remove the USB stick from the probe
 3. Plug in the probe WITHOUT the USB stick
 4. Wait for ten minutes
 5. Insert the USB stick

After an hour, you should be able to see your probe listed as "connected"

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
Re: RIPE Atlas Probe Trouble - Solution
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:45:03 AM »
I agree

I also received this procedure and had to use it for my 2 probes

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:06:10 AM »
This process usually has to happen when the loaded firmware on the removable USB is corrupted. Removing and booting the probe without the USB will prepare for a firmware download, which begins once the USB is inserted 15 minutes later.
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 12:30:19 PM »
My RIPE Atlas was down for over 8 days. I did contact RIPE support and they sent me similar instructions this morning which is what triggered my memory about this thread. The only difference in my instructions were to wait "5" minutes before reinserting the USB stick. The fix worked perfectly and I am now back up and connected.

Thanks for posting this little tidbit...  =D>
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »

I am getting failures regularly.  The first time I contacted  them and Alastair Strachan sent the following:
Hello Paul.

Thanks for your email.

The best thing to do in this instance is:

- Power off the RIPE Atlas Probe

- Remove the USB stick

- Power on the tp-link and connect it to the network

- Wait for 5 minutes

- Insert the USB stick while the RIPE Atlas Probe is powered.

Please let me know if this doesn't work and the probe is still not working correctly.

If you have any further questions, please let me know

Kind Regards,
RIPE Atlas Team

As that didn't work he said:
Hello Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Could I ask you to disconnect the USB flash drive from the probe and connect it directly to your computer? Is the drive readable?

If so, please format the drive completely and reconnect it to the probe whilst it is connected to power and network.

After 30-60 min the probe should come online.

If the probe is still not coming online, do you have a spare 4GB or larger blank USB drive you could try in the probe? If so, please connect this to your probe.

If after 30/60 mins the probe is still not online, please let us know.

If you have any further questions, please let me know

Kind Regards,

RIPE Atlas Team

and that worked, for a few weeks until the next failure.  So I reformatted the drive again.

I've done that several times now as it was working for just a few days at a time and approached Alastair if there was another longer term solution.  He responded that that is the only solution they offer and suggested I get another USB drive to use.

I am not connected anymore!

Paul

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 02:05:08 PM »
I've done that several times now as it was working for just a few days at a time and approached Alastair if there was another longer term solution.  He responded that that is the only solution they offer and suggested I get another USB drive to use.

What brand of USB drive did they send you?

Personally, I'd try another USB drive.  Sometimes you just get a lemon (or sometimes a bunch of lemons if purchased in large lots).

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »

Not at home at the moment to check what make but it is the tiny little stub 1 Gb.  Initially I didn't even know that was a removable drive until Alastair mentioned to pull it out.

I should mention that it had originally worked for many months without any issue, and I had millions of credits ;)
Paul

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 04:39:58 PM »

One of my probes is (again) disconnected since 5 days, following a power outage.  I tried the usual procedure but this time it fails.
On the RIPE website, in the probe settings, I just found a new tab "Status (beta)" with the following text :

Read-Only Flash Drive Detected
What does this mean?

The USB stick in your probe switched itself to "read-only" mode. This is bad because this is a permanent state and it therefore became useless for the purposes of serving the probe.
Why is this happening?

The v3 (white) probes probes use USB storage to buffer results. This is useful when the probe is offline, and especially useful if the error lies outside the host's network.

The unpredictable nature of power losses and other unfriendly events regarding file systems also affect these sticks. This is not unexpected, so the probes do file system checks and repairs as needed to overcome file system corruption resulting from this.

We learned the hard way that the particular type of USB stick provided with the hardware (Sandisk nano) has a particular "feature": it switches to permanent read-only mode if it detects possible corruption. This is most likely to prevent further escalation of the problem, while allowing recovery of the remaining data from the stick. This is probably okay for generic use, as the sticks are cheap and replaceable. However, in the RIPE Atlas context, this is bad because there's nothing we can do to fix it besides reporting the problem to the host. We're unsure what exactly triggers the behaviour.

Because of this behaviour, we started using a different brand for storage at some point. We see no need to pro-actively swap out the sticks (and it's also very difficult to do in practice) as the problem only occurs with a small number of probes.
How can I fix this?

Please use the following procedure:

Get a working USB stick that is at least 4GB in size (it does not need any preparation but its contents will be erased so make sure it does not store anything crucial)
    Power down your probe (unplug the USB power cable)
    Insert the USB stick into the probe's USB slot
    Power up your probe (plug in the USB power cable)
    Wait at least 30 minutes for the probe to initialise the drive and upgrade its firmware

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »
We learned the hard way that the particular type of USB stick provided with the hardware (Sandisk nano) has a particular "feature": it switches to permanent read-only mode if it detects possible corruption. This is most likely to prevent further escalation of the problem, while allowing recovery of the remaining data from the stick. This is probably okay for generic use, as the sticks are cheap and replaceable. However, in the RIPE Atlas context, this is bad because there's nothing we can do to fix it besides reporting the problem to the host. We're unsure what exactly triggers the behaviour.

Because of this behaviour, we started using a different brand for storage at some point. We see no need to pro-actively swap out the sticks (and it's also very difficult to do in practice) as the problem only occurs with a small number of probes.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think my probe in Nebraska (where I'm not now) is Sandisk.  I've had it fail several times, but it's still going (knock wood).

My probe in Texas is using a Verbatim drive.  I've never had problems with it.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »
Lots of good stuff here! My unit seems to be working again just fine. I've had no problems with it since initial installation a year or so ago other than some drop-outs but it always came back on-line again by itself. Will watch it more closely to see if the issue comes back again. My USB stick is black and has "Verbatim" on it in white letters but no other markings.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »

The USB is Verbatim.  I am back connected.
I have been reporting since February and was getting 21,600 credits per day for Probe uptime until August 26 when there started to be about 7,600 additional credits For results delivered. 

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your email.
The only fix we have currently is the formatting of the USB drive. You could try a replacement drive if you have one available.

If you log into the RIPE Atlas page here you can set your notifications to alert you sooner if you would prefer:
https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/#!tab-mine

I have added my email in the Settings Notification and will see if that will make me aware of a problem sooner than their normal 1 week notification.

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 10:49:25 PM »
Interesting. I just checked my notification time and it was set for 15 minutes. My probe went down and it took a week for a notification to be sent. I wonder if they changed it because I was having problems. I did mention in my email to them that it would be nice if they notified probe owners in a shorter period of time.

My probe is still running nicely since I restarted. I've been up solid for 10h 25m so it looks like the restart fixed the issue.

BTW, what are these points or credits some are talking about? I don't see anything referencing points. Am I missing-out of something?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 12:28:25 AM »

Hi Don,
Login and under My Atlas click on Credits.  I am at near 5.2 million but have not yet understood what to do with them other than pass them on to someone else.

By the way where did you see the 15 min notice.  I couldn't find anything other than to fill in my email in the Settings Notification and presume that will shorten the notification period.  My past notifications of not being connected have been after it was down a week as well.

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 12:57:33 AM »

Hi Don,
Login and under My Atlas click on Credits.  I am at near 5.2 million but have not yet understood what to do with them other than pass them on to someone else.

By the way where did you see the 15 min notice.  I couldn't find anything other than to fill in my email in the Settings Notification and presume that will shorten the notification period.  My past notifications of not being connected have been after it was down a week as well.

Paul

Well DUH! Guess I missed that one... (*,)  :oops:

I see that I have 5,900,450 and 13.75 credits / hour. I think the credits are for running special reports on your probe but, I haven't a clue how any of that works...

If you go to your Probe webpage (https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/26817/) (enter your probe number where mine is - 26817). That should get you to the General tab for your probe. Just scroll down the page until you see "Notifications". Off to the right you will see an EDIT button. Click on that and you will what your "Notify time" is currently set to. Leave the other fields as they are and you will receive your outage notices at the time you set. Mine is set to "15" which means I should receive an outage notice 15 minutes after my probe drops off-line.

Thanks for the help and hope this, in turn, helps you!

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 04:05:14 AM »
Read-Only Flash Drive Detected
The USB stick in your probe switched itself to "read-only" mode.

OK, some fresh news about this issue

1) The USB stick reported as "read-only" is branded "Verbatim".   I tried it on a PC running Windows.   It is reported as unreadable and format fails, again reported as read-only.

2) A inserted an old 4 GB Kingston stick, restarted the probe.   This was successful, the probe is online again

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:11 AM »

Hi Don and thanks, I have it now set at 15 min.  I guess I had never scrolled down that far :oops:

Here is my current credits
2016-10-27 05:04 UTCProbe ID:26948 For results delivered
2016-10-26 17:06 UTCProbe ID:26948 Probe uptime
2016-10-26 05:04 UTCProbe ID:26948 For results delivered
2016-10-25 17:07 UTCProbe ID:26948 Probe uptime
2016-10-25 05:04 UTCProbe ID:26948 For results delivered
2016-10-24 17:06 UTCProbe ID:26948 Probe uptime

Anyone have any suggestion what we can use the credits for?  or anyone in need of more credits?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »
Mine failed again, and couldn't get it to work anymore - trying to reformat the USB stick and eventually got a "write-protected".  Couldn't get it to work with a new USB stick which was less than 1gb so went and got a new 8mb stick today and now working again.

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 11:49:13 PM »

Just received an email that my RIPE ATLAS is disconnected. The unit only showed the Power and Internet lights on in a steady condition. None of the other lights are lit. So, I disconnected the power for about 30 seconds and then reconnected it. The power led come on and then after about 30 seconds or so, the WPS/RESET led started flashing. Shortly after that, the Internet, WLAN and RJ45/Ethernet leds started flashing. All three of those leds are still flashing now after a good 15 minutes post power application. The RIPE ATLAS website still shows my unit disconnected. I'm just going to let it run overnight and see what it looks like in the morning.

I have not done anything with the USB drive as yet. Will look into that if the reset/restart hasn't worked by morning. BTW, I'm now at over 9.2 million points...  \:D/

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 12:15:07 AM »
Hi Don,
I had a stoppage as well a couple days ago.  Now when I get that message from Ripe I shut it down, remove the USB stick and place in my computer where it says it needs formatting.  Do the quick format, reinstall in the probe and then soon all is fine again and nothing lost except for a few credits during the down time.  I am a little less than you on the credits... just over 9M.   http://www.komokaweather.com/ripe-atlas/probe26948.html

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 12:39:10 AM »
Hi Paul,

Well, I pulled the USB drive out of the RIPE Atlas and placed it in my computer. I immediately got a message saying it needed to be formatted. I did not do the format and simply placed it back in the RIPE unit which had already been powered down before removing the USB drive. It took about 15 minutes and now I see that my unit status on the RIPE website shows I've been connected for a little over 10 minutes. So, it looks like removing the USB drive worked this time. Will watch it to see if it is still working in the morning.

What I also don't understand is why it took 25 days to get a message from RIPE saying my unit had disconnected on Feb 25th. My alert message time is set for 15 minutes. I've sent an email to RIPE support asking why it took so long to get the message. Probably won't get a reply until Monday though.

And lastly, where did you get the code to pull the RIPE data for your website? I'd like to do that same thing, if possible.

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 02:45:03 AM »
And lastly, where did you get the code to pull the RIPE data for your website? I'd like to do that same thing, if possible.

You will probably find what you need at this address : https://stat.ripe.net/index/documentation/interfaces_apis

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
Hi Don,
If I recall correctly after a few re-formats (at Ripe's support suggestions) my initial USB would not work any more no matter what I tried, and then when the replacement disconnected I just went with a 're-format' as I don't think anything gets lost doing that.   Very simple, very quick.

I still couldn't begin to write code but great at borrow, cut and paste, edit, trial and error.  Can't recall where I got it but this is what I have:
Code: [Select]
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8" />
        <!-- Always force latest IE rendering engine (even in intranet) & Chrome Frame
        Remove this if you use the .htaccess -->
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1" />
        <title>RIPE Atlas Probe Widgets</title>
        <meta name="description" content="" />
        <meta name="author" content="Christian Teuschel" />
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0" />
        <!-- Replace favicon.ico & apple-touch-icon.png in the root of your domain and delete these references -->
        <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
        <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/apple-touch-icon.png" />
        <script src='https://stat.ripe.net/widgets/widget_api.js'></script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <div>
            <header>
                <h1>KomokaWeather RIPE Atlas Probe</h1>
            </header>
            <div style="background-color: #CCCCCC; display: inline-block; padding: 1em; ">
                <p>Below is the RIPE Atlas probe traffic stats and builtin measurement results for KomokaWeather Probe ID 26948</p>
                <p><big>Komoka, ON Canada.</big></p><br />
                                <a href="https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/26948/">Ripe-Atlas Site</a>
            </div>
            <div>

<h2>RIPE Atlas Probe Traffic:</h2>

<h3>Minified Version</h3>
                <div class="statwdgtauto">
                <script>
                    var parameters = {
                            probe_id: 26948,
                            mode: "minified"
                    };
                    ripestat.init("atlas-probe-traffic", parameters, null, {"size":"800", "show_controls":"yes","disable":["title", "logo", "container", "feedback", "maximize"]});
                </script></div>

<h3>Condensed Version</h3>
                <script>
                    var parameters = {
                            mode: "condensed"
                    };
                    ripestat.init("atlas-probe-traffic", parameters, null, {"size":"800", "show_controls":"yes","disable":["title", "logo", "container", "feedback", "maximize"]});
                </script>
                </div>

<h2>RIPE Atlas Ping Measurements:</h2>

<script>
                    var parameters = {
                            measurement_id: 1,
                    };
                    ripestat.init("atlas-ping-measurements", parameters, null, {"size":"800", "show_controls":"yes","disable":["title", "logo", "container", "feedback", "maximize"]});
                </script></div>

<script>
                    var parameters = {
                    };
                    ripestat.init("atlas-ping-measurements", parameters, null, {"size":"800", "show_controls":"yes","disable":["title", "logo", "container", "feedback", "maximize"]});
                </script>
                </div>

</div>
            <footer>
                <p></p>
            </footer>
        </div>
    </body>
</html>

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
With our millions of credits anyone got an idea how we can use or distribute to a useful cause?  I don't think the local Goodwill or SA is interested ;)

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »
Thanks Paul! I've modified your code for my ID and also incorporated it into the Saratoga template format. I did notice when I clicked on several of the links on the RIPE Atlas website that showed my charts that some code and links came up. I suspect that is where the initial coding you got came from. I hadn't noticed them before now. And BTW, my unit seems to be working again after I restarted it last night.

The code for mine follows.

Code: [Select]
<?php
############################################################################
# A Project of TNET Services, Inc. and Saratoga-Weather.org (Canada/World-ML template set)
#
#   Project:    Sample Included Website Design
#   Module:     sample.php
#   Purpose:    Sample Page
#   Authors:    Kevin W. Reed <kreed@tnet.com>
#               TNET Services, Inc.
#
Copyright: (c) 1992-2007 Copyright TNET Services, Inc.
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA
# This document uses Tab 4 Settings
require_once("Settings.php");
require_once(
"common.php");
$TITLE langtransstr($SITE['organ']) . " - " .langtransstr('RIPE Atlas Analysis');
$showGizmo true;  // set to false to exclude the gizmo
include("top.php");
?>

<style type="text/css">
.hidden {
display: none;
position:relative;
}
.shown {
display: block;
position:relative;
}
div.center {
width:100%;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
}
</style>

<script src='https://stat.ripe.net/widgets/widget_api.js'></script>
</head>
<body>
<?php
include("header.php");
include("menubar.php");
?>

<div id="main-copy">
        <div>
            <header>
                <h1>Carson Valley Weather RIPE Atlas Probe</h1>
            </header>
            <div style="background-color: #CCCCCC; display: inline-block; padding: 1em; ">
                <p>Below is the RIPE Atlas probe traffic stats and builtin measurement results for Carson Valley Weather Probe ID 26817</p>
                <p><big>Minden, NV USA.</big></p><br />
<a href="https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/26817/" target="_blank">Ripe-Atlas Site</a>
            <>
            <div>
                <h2>RIPE Atlas Probe Traffic:</h2>
                <script>
                    var parameters = {
                            probe_id: 26817,
                    };
                </script><>
                <script>
                    var parameters = {
                    };
                </script>
                <>
                <h2>RIPE Atlas Ping Measurements:</h2>

<script>
                    var parameters = {
                    };
                </script><>
                <script>
                    var parameters = {
                    };
                </script>
                <>
            <>
            <footer>
                <p></p>
            </footer>
        <>

<><!-- end main-copy -->

<?php
include("footer.php");
# End of Page
?>

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »
Great, and you've done it nicely in the Saratoga.  I may try doing that as well as I had only added it to www.komokaweather.com not www.komokaweather.ca

Glad to hear yours got connected again.

Paul