Author Topic: Somewhat frustrating setup of my WS-1400-IP  (Read 1982 times)

Offline tfconway

Somewhat frustrating setup of my WS-1400-IP
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »
Hello all,

Newbie here.  I just set up my new WS-1400-IP this weekend, and wanted to share my experience with the group.  I started by setting up the Observer IP and the indoor sensor - that seemed to go very easily, and as soon as I powered on the indoor sensor it synced with the Observer.  I flashed the Observer with firmware v2.1, but after I registered with Weather Underground and received my station ID, I could not get past the issue with the station ID resetting to "0000000000 maxlength=" on the Observer.  I downgraded back to v2.0, and it took the station ID just fine.  I have not upgraded to v2.1 since; I figure I will just wait for v2.2.  I performed a power off restart after flashing both times.

As others have noted, it took a while for the sensors, both indoor and outdoor, to re-synchronize with the receiver after I flashed down to v2.0.  The outdoor sensor took about 10 minutes.  I gave up waiting on the indoor sensor, so I pulled the batteries and put them back in.  Then, the indoor sensor synced OK.  So far they have continued to stay in sync.

It also took a while for the station to start reporting to Weather Underground - I wasn't timing it, but I would say at least half an hour after I registered.  During that time, there was no good information from either my unit or from Weather Underground as to what was happening (or what wasn't).  All the PWS Dashboard on WU said was "no report" from my unit.  I was about to contact WU support when magically, my station reported in.  I can only speculate that, from the time I registered the station, it takes WU about 30 minutes or so before it is ready to receive data from a newly registered PWS.  However, I could not find any official documentation which says that. 

One last item - the time on my Observer was fast by about 25 minutes for while.  I could not find a way to change that.  My time zone info is correct, and it handled the DST changeover no problem.  As of this morning though, the time is correct.  Again, I can only speculate, but it appears to have incorrectly synced the time initially, but since has corrected itself.  It's possible the incorrect time had something to do with the delay in checking in with WU.

Now that it's working, I really like it!  This system is an upgrade from an old La Crosse 2310 which had died (and which was never that reliable in the first place).  I really like the Weather Station app on my iPad - I had been using that even before I got my unit.  I'll keep watch to make sure my PWS keeps reporting, but I'm hopeful that I'm past the rough part.  Time will tell.

Tom
KMDQUEEN13

Offline billybob

Re: Somewhat frustrating setup of my WS-1400-IP
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:07:23 PM »
You have to reset the observerIP for the firmware upgrade to work correctly by pushing the reset button on the back. After that the station ID would work fine. I emailed Ed about the 2.1 update as it only seems to update once every 30 seconds instead of the 16 second update on the 2.0 firmware. Hopefully they will have an update shortly.

I wish they had manual time settings because NTP is slow to update for some reason. Look at your Relative pressure offset under calibration settings as mine had some junk numbers in it after update that made the pressure readings too low.

Glad you are enjoying your station.