Author Topic: 18 Month old VP2 Aspirator Fan sounds like it's disintegrating?  (Read 655 times)

Offline DrBobDavisV2

My Aspirator fan is making a loud noise and most likely the elements and mother nature has added to its decline after 18 months of use.

Is that about normal?  I live in Central Florida with high temps, humidity, and lots of seasonal rainfall.

Talked to Davis and the change-out is $45.  Any other options or expertise to add?

Curious with time on my hands.

Bob

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: 18 Month old VP2 Aspirator Fan sounds like it's disintegrating?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:20:11 PM »
The fan motors Davis use are of questionable integrity at best. After doing 3 or 4 of them, I jumped on the a/c band
wagon and installed a computer case fan as several here have done. If your able, it's a super easy job, and very well worth it. If you want to stick with the OE route, here's a link to a much cheaper alternative should you choose.
https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-500TB-18280-R-Nichibo-Taiwan-3-Volt-DC-Motor-2104-Rpm-1-3-Volt-Range_2158442.html

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »
I have two of these fans. One is in the original ISS, the other is in a modified T/H station.

The T/H station one is reasonably quiet. The ISS makes a racket, and has since it was originally installed.

When it stops working I'll change it out again. I have two spares. One was bought as a Davis part, the other was repaired with a new motor.

As long as it is flowing air, I'd just leave it.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 05:27:57 PM »
Davis uses cheap DCV motors which use mechanical "commutators' to change/switch the current-directions thru the motor windings...these mechanical contacts WEAR OUT eventually, creating the noise you hear. Next, difficult 'starting' (but OK running) will happen, followed (eventually) by complete mechanical failure and stoppage.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:30:51 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline DrBobDavisV2

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:30:48 PM »
I ordered 2 from Jameco at 3 bucks a pop.  $16.50 delivered including a $5 service charge.  Hopefully it swaps out easily enough.  I know I can't live with the noise it's making right now as I'm pretty much used to hearing nothing but birds, squirrels and breeze.  It's definitely got to be changed out.  If nothing else, it will get me motivated to get it off the pole and cleaned up.  Thanks for the insight so far.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:42:35 PM »
The fan motors Davis use are of questionable integrity at best. After doing 3 or 4 of them, I jumped on the a/c band
wagon and installed a computer case fan as several here have done. If your able, it's a super easy job, and very well worth it. If you want to stick with the OE route, here's a link to a much cheaper alternative should you choose.
https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-500TB-18280-R-Nichibo-Taiwan-3-Volt-DC-Motor-2104-Rpm-1-3-Volt-Range_2158442.html

I second this suggestion. I went ac during summer '17 and haven't looked back. In your hot wind-less climate during most of the year, you will definitely need greater airflow through your sensor chamber to keep it closer to ambient.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 10:09:13 PM »
Hopefully it swaps out easily enough. 
By far the biggest problem is centering the motor within it's housing as the fan blades run extremely close to it's housing as well.
Too bad a/c is not for you.