Author Topic: Sangean CL-100 voice alert disable removed from latest firmware?  (Read 4059 times)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
I just received my CL-100 from Amazon. It's a nice radio, but it seems the latest firmware has removed the capability of defeating voice alerts for certain alert types (v2.10, 1/18/2012)?

Can anyone confirm this, or am I missing something obvious in the programming menu? I only see the siren disable in the menu.

Perhaps Sangean thought it was a bad idea to allow defeating alerts completely and removed the feature..... :sad:

Best,

Don

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Sangean CL-100 voice alert disable removed from latest firmware?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »
I called Sangean about this. They said that even though the menu item is called "DEFEAT SIREN", disabling an alert in this menu actually disables ALL audio alerting, including voice. The firmware after 2011 or so added this. I was looking for separate menu items to disable the siren and voice. The menu name is misleading and the manual is not very clear that voice alerts are also disabled.

I hope that the silenced alerts still activate the alert LEDs and show up in the alert history. The guy at Sangean said that disabling the alert causes the radio to completely ignore that alert type. I'll wait for this week's test and see, as the weekly test was disabled by default.

Don

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Sangean CL-100 voice alert disable removed from latest firmware?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
I verified the operation of the CL-100 during the weekly test this morning. The weekly test is disabled in the "DFEAT SIREN" menu.

My older Radio Shack receiver responded to the test, as usual. I checked the CL-100. Neither the voice alert nor the siren activated, which is what I was hoping for.

However, Sangean was not correct in saying that disabled alerts are ignored completely by the receiver. The "weekly test" text still scrolled through the screen and the "advisory" light illuminated for about 10 minutes, the "duration" of the test event.

All good!

Best,

Don