Poll

What type of internet do you have?

Dialup
3 (3.5%)
ADSL/ADSL2+ (download faster then upload speed)
22 (25.6%)
SDSL (download is same as upload speed)
0 (0%)
VDSL/VDSL2+ (Fiber to the node, curb or building)
5 (5.8%)
Cable (Coaxial)
48 (55.8%)
Fiber to the Home (FTTH)
2 (2.3%)
Satellite
1 (1.2%)
Wireless (public wifi, WiMAX)
3 (3.5%)
Cellular (e.g. 3G, 4G, LTE, ect.)
2 (2.3%)
Using the neighbor's wifi
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Internet Connection  (Read 12278 times)

Offline linuxfreak

• Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
Re: Internet Connection
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
Well, neighbors either side of me have "Fibe", what a joke, should be FTTH like Verizon. Damn, even my son fell for the hype from Bell, just so he could play CoD on his X-box!!! #-o #-o

I'm running dry loop dsl, extra $10/month, my ex left me holding a $400+ bill with Bell in her name, an that buggered my options for phone, so I run a Magicjack Plus down in the network "rack" and feed out to the rest of the internal wiring from there. So the lines are fast enough in my area, I'm 2 blocks from the old Bell telephone and microwave relay building which is also home to the Hamilton CKVR rebroadcast transmitter now.

George
George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
Bell should get in trouble for using the term Fibe. I know so many people that switched to Fibe because they thought it was FTTH, but we're very disappointed afterwards from the marketing gimmick and the poor performance. DSL is 10x more reliable then the so called Fibe. All you have to do is Google "Bell Sync No Surf". If you get the Sager (Sagemcom F@ST 2864) your just better off going to Teksavvys 7/1 plan and get reliability.

P.S. Are you going to bring your website back up? My bookmark bar seems strange without your website.
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline linuxfreak

• Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2014, 01:35:12 AM »
P.S. Are you going to bring your website back up? My bookmark bar seems strange without your website.

I know! I had to unpin a raft of tabs in my browser when the webhost died away, hate seeing error pages!

I have my personal server here next to me, changing over to Ubuntu server from Win2k3 server and XAMPP to get a bit of a performance boost. Just wish I could find a set of full extension rack slides for the 1U server case, pain to get it in and out of the rack to do servicing otherwise.

As to getting hosting, still "checking the water", and pocketbook, before pulling the trigger and going through all the setup and grief too many times. ;)

If you get the Sager (Sagemcom F@ST 2864) your just better off going to Teksavvys 7/1 plan and get reliability.

No, ain't paying that kinda price, I have a 2Wire modem/router that I'm switching into bridge mode so I can keep using my Netgear with dd-wrt as my main router. The tech at Lara said that'll work until I go to the "Fibe" speeds when I'd have to rent one of the high priced French modems.

George
George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2014, 08:35:49 AM »
I heard really good things about Arvixe hosting so you may want to check that out. I also noticed a lot of the weather websites that switched their hosting to "a small orange" when e-rice went down.
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2014, 09:18:11 AM »
Hughesnet:

So far I can't get it to read the Bellsouth dialup.  It just sits there looking for the best server determined by the ping.  I'll check it again in about 20 minutes and see if it's found anything.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:13:25 AM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
Now I understand why your weather is not graphic heavy. How long does it take to load WXForum? Also does the speed vary or is it consistently slow?
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »
Hughesnet:

So far I can't get it to read the Bellsouth dialup.  It just sits there looking for the best server determined by the ping.  I'll check it again in about 20 minutes and see if it's found anything.

Can't say I miss Hughesnet at all. I will do know your pain though. Been down that road before and it blows!

Offline karona

• Razdel Weather
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »
Via microwave to a dish on my roof, then rebroadcast via standard WiFi to the rest of the village. 20 Megabit download, 75 Kilobit Up, I'm 100 Kilometres  from my ISP's base.
Aercus Instruments WS3083
Weather Display 10.37R

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »
I started with 28 kbps modems. Then went to what was called Diamond's shotgun modems using bonding with dual phone lines. Then SlowModems nightmare Hughesnet followed by wireless RF internet and finally cable.
Randy

Offline helgew

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
Recently signed up for TrueStream from DSL Extreme, which is basically AT&T's UVerse service. About 22 Mb/s down, 1.5 Mb/s up.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2015, 11:49:55 PM »

Just  for shoots and giggles, I thought I'd test my connection again tonight.  This is the Hughesnet, and we've used our whopping 250 MB allowance for the day so we're "hard throttled" until the free period of 2:00 am.  But I will say it is still better than dialup.

This is on a normal day in Decembber:

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2015, 11:59:55 PM »
But Greg, there is still 1 person in a hundred that is slower than you - so over 3 million worse off.  You should feel privileged #-o

Paul

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2015, 06:25:18 AM »
But Greg, there is still 1 person in a hundred that is slower than you - so over 3 million worse off.  You should feel privileged #-o

Paul

I'll try to remember to remind myself of that!   ](*,)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2015, 06:53:14 AM »
Greg have you looked at Blaze wireless. They claim to service your area. I know when I went wireless over Hughesnet it was like day and night.
http://www.blazewifi.com/high-speed-internet/Tennessee/Ten-Mile/
Randy

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 05:21:08 PM »
Greg have you looked at Blaze wireless. They claim to service your area. I know when I went wireless over Hughesnet it was like day and night.
http://www.blazewifi.com/high-speed-internet/Tennessee/Ten-Mile/

Wireless Internet
Daily Surfer 25GB

25GB Data Allowance
    Up To 1.5 Mbps Download Speed
    Up To 512 Mbps Upload Speed

$99.99

That might be a good deal, but it's a little too expensive for my taste, and it's the cheapest they offer.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:25:09 PM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »
Added ADSL2+ through Centurylink today. Didn't even know it was available until a week ago. ](*,)

My $70 a month 5 down and 3 up cable was getting unreliable at nights and 2-3 day response time for fix, that's only if I kept nagging, was getting old.
Don't know if as some call it centuryStink will be any better but line latency is 1/2 what cable was and I'm getting about 17 down and 1.7 up. They do that by bonding 2 ADSL lines.  Thinking about keeping the minimum speeds offered 3 megs on cable for couple months just for assurance.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:45:58 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2015, 01:12:37 AM »
So my connection is not an option in your survey. I have a microwave link to my ISP which gives me 20 mbps down and sometimes 3 times that up. Too bad it isn't the other way around, but most of us on the link are consumers! I had ADSL from ATT and dumped it when streaming became impossible. They're now trying to get me to sign-up for UVerse, but they only claim a speed of "Up To" 3mbps. Pathetic. We all know that "Up To" means "Good Luck Getting That". {/Rant}
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
It's a long and sordid tale of woe...

We have WiMax out to the place and it was dreadfully slow.  We were paying $50/mo for supposedly 512 kbps which we rarely saw.  Then around March 10 we and our neighbors received letters from the ISP that they were upgrading the system and would be offering a single plan on the new system of 10 Mbps @ $99/month.  It turned out that the kicker was that to get access to the new system one needed to be within a five mile radius of the towers and they were shutting off service from the tower closest to us.  That left us and our neighbors scrambling for an alternative which now consisted of satellite or cellular.

After looking around I chose a 4G router from US Cellular and the agent reworked our plan so that 20 GB/mo shared between the router and our two smart phones would cost about the same as the previous phone plan and the ISP charge per month.  I've had the router on line for about two months and the speed isn't stellar but beats the pants off of what we were getting.  However, not all the computers at the farm are switched over yet as the ISP hasn't shut the old system off yet (stated to have been shut down May 1) and now it runs up to 2 Mbps!

AT&T turned up 4G service in our area earlier in the year.  Since we're on AT&T land line my hope is that they offer a reasonably priced bundle for phone, 'Net, and DirecTV.  Even if they do I would keep the 4G router as a back up.  Beyond being Internet challenged, nothing beats the farm life!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »
NONB I feel for you. Options at best are limited, good thing you don't use the internet much 20 gigs doesn't go far about 8 days for an low end user of 150 gigs a month.
Randy

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »
NONB I feel for you. Options at best are limited, good thing you don't use the internet much 20 gigs doesn't go far about 8 days for an low end user of 150 gigs a month.

150 GB/mo?   :shock:

Between my my brother and myself we do quite a bit on the 'Net but haven't gotten into the habit of watching movies and such on the Web.  I tend to mostly do email and forums with some software development work but that is sporadic.  I am hoping 20 GB/mo will be enough but I won't know until all the farm computers have been on USCC for a few months.  The agent said that 30 GB/mo would be $25/mo more.  I am dialing back the amount of software experimentation I do and have become a fan of minimalism.  One of my strategies will be to get the computers on the same Linux distribution to share updates between them and minimizing the downloads.  It's a challenge but doable.  I have no idea how spoiled I would be if I even had access to 10 Mbps unlimited, but since the ISP doesn't want to provide that to us, I'll likely never know.

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
My android speed test.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2015, 05:30:24 PM »

Between my my brother and myself we do quite a bit on the 'Net but haven't gotten into the habit of watching movies and such on the Web.  I tend to mostly do email and forums with some software development work but that is sporadic.  I am hoping 20 GB/mo will be enough but I won't know until all the farm computers have been on USCC for a few months.  The agent said that 30 GB/mo would be $25/mo more.  I am dialing back the amount of software experimentation I do and have become a fan of minimalism.  One of my strategies will be to get the computers on the same Linux distribution to share updates between them and minimizing the downloads.  It's a challenge but doable.  I have no idea how spoiled I would be if I even had access to 10 Mbps unlimited, but since the ISP doesn't want to provide that to us, I'll likely never know.

I'm around 3 gigs daily,  on average both up and down. I watch 2-3 Netflix movies each month. I do have my constant uploads on my website. Which adds up I guess. I know some ISP's have a 250-300 gig warning limits is why I was thinking 150 would be average. But after looking at this chart by the government it looks much less. Depending on the ISP you have, look at the poor satellite subscribers.   This was data from 2012.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:32:33 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2015, 12:33:37 AM »

With Hughesnet, we get 250 MB/day before we're throttled to around dialup speed.  The new plan is calculated by the month, but I wouldn't want to be throttled more than a day.  So GBs would be wonderful here.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
Comcast raised my speed from 50mbps to this. :shock:  :grin:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:14:10 AM by cospringswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com