Author Topic: Spring/Summer '17  (Read 18024 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Spring/Summer '17
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »
Haven't seen a thread yet.  Guess it's time.  Spring either starts in a few days or about 4 weeks no matter how you define it.

For many of us, 'Spring' has been here for the last few weeks already despite the calendar and the norms.

Most of my flowering trees are already budded out and some are in bloom.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
Re: Spring/Summer '17
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:43:20 PM »
Haven't seen a thread yet.  Guess it's time.  Spring either starts in a few days or about 4 weeks no matter how you define it.

For many of us, 'Spring' has been here for the last few weeks already despite the calendar and the norms.

Most of my flowering trees are already budded out and some are in bloom.

Ha! It's been mostly late Summer-early Fall heat environment down here this 'winter'.  8-)
It has been the mildest 'winter' on record (and in my memory too). Every month has set "average temp" and many "daily high/min low" records.
These are beyond random fluctuations, this is the third year of these (no longer?) record anomalies.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/alltime-warmth-for-february-stretches-to-new-england

:twisted:
“Western Atlantic basin SSTs are on fire!” tweeted hurricane forecaster Eric Blake (@EricBlake12) on Thursday. “Easily warmest on record--especially the Gulf of Mexico.” This warmth is especially well reflected in a swarm of daily record highs and record-warm lows at Galveston, TX, where records began in 1874. Since September 1, Galveston has set an impressive 33 heat records of various types--more than any other Southeast city during that period in a compilation pulled together late Thursday by Houston meteorologist Matt Lanza (@MattLanza). Eric Berger (Space City Weather) has more on the extremely mild Houston/Galveston winter....

Texas and the century mark: 100°F heat on Thursday
We expect to see temperatures over 100°F in Texas in July, but not in February! Temperatures soared past the 100 degree mark at several stations in southern Texas on Thursday, flirting with the all-time U.S. temperature record for February. According to wunderground weather historian Christopher C. Burt, the Texas (and national) February heat record is either a questionable 104° at Fort Ringgold (now known as Rio Grande City) on Feb. 20, 1902 or, more likely, 103° at La Joya on Feb. 28, 2009 and also at Laredo on Feb. 20, 1986 and Feb. 27, 2011. The 101°F reading in McAllen, Texas on Thursday was their hottest February temperature ever recorded. A number of COOP and Mesonet stations also exceeded 100°F on Thursday, with the hottest being a 107°F mark at Falcon Lake on the Mexican border. However, we asked south Texas weather expert Richard "Heatwave" Berler (@Heatwave KGNS) about this mark, and he responded:  "I think that the thermometer is miscalibrated or exposed. It consistently runs higher than nearby thermometers during the daytime." Another site at Falcon Lake recorded 103°F (originally reported as 105°) though, and this may be a reasonable measurement, since there were three Mexican stations near Falcon Lake that reported 103°F - 104°F at that time. Update: The NWS/Brownsville office reported in a tweet Friday afternoon that the Falcon Lake COOP station recorded 103°F on Thursday. This ties the most reliable candidates for the national February record noted above.

Here are the 100°F readings in Texas from from February 23 as recorded in the NOAA Weather and Hazards Viewer (thanks go to Hal Needham for alerting us to this tool):

107°F at Falcon Lake RAWS
105°F at Falcon Lake COOP (APRSWXNET/CWOP)
102°F in Atlee
102°F in Dilley
101°F at Zapata
100°F at Faith Ranch Airport
100°F at Cotulla
100°F - 101°F at three stations in McAllen
101°F at Laredo

The hot temperatures in southern Texas have increased wildfire risk this week, and a Red Flag Warning for dangerous fire conditions was posted on Friday for most of the region.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
Storm Prediction Center kicks Spring off right on time with an Enhanced Risk area covering several states for February 28th into March 1st.

I really hope this isn't a precursor to a bad severe season.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
Enhanced Risk area expanded to a much larger area now for Tuesday, then moves SE for Wednesday.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
Spring's coming in noisy.  Lots of banging booming and flashing.  Unfortunately, there will be plenty of damage too.

Numerous Tornado Warnings have already been issued and there is sure to be m ore before morning.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
The roller coaster continues; 70s a couple of days ago, 46 tomorrow, then upper 60s again by Monday.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 04:57:23 PM »
After a near record low snowfall total of 0.2" all Winter, I now see this in the forecast March 11:

Saturday
A chance of snow before 8am, then a chance of rain and snow between 8am and 9am, then rain after 9am. Cloudy, with a high near 42. East northeast wind 7 to 9 mph.

Saturday Night
Rain and snow likely, becoming all snow after 11pm, then gradually ending. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. North northeast wind around 8 mph.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »
My daffodils have popped their heads out of the ground here in northern Nevada...  \:D/

It's been a long, cold and wet winter with record breaking snow and everyone around here is looking forward to some warm and dry weather coming soon.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 07:29:52 AM »
Sooo, Spring hasn't sprung?

Saturday
A chance of snow before 9am, then a chance of rain and snow between 9am and 10am, then rain after 10am. High near 35. East northeast wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Saturday Night
A chance of snow and freezing rain before 8pm, then a chance of freezing rain between 8pm and midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. North northeast wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 41. North northeast wind 3 to 7 mph.

Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Light northeast wind.

Monday
A chance of snow before 9am, then a chance of rain and snow between 9am and 10am, then a chance of rain after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47. Light and variable wind becoming east southeast around 5 mph in the morning.

Monday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Northwest wind 5 to 8 mph.

Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. North northwest wind 6 to 9 mph.

Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 27. North wind around 5 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.

Wednesday
A slight chance of rain and snow. Mostly sunny, with a high near 48. Light and variable wind becoming south southwest around 6 mph

Supposed to be near 70 today and I may be hauling firewood up to the house again.  I though I was done with all that and have already cleaned the stove out.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 07:31:23 AM »
The clock may go ahead one hour this weekend, but the calendar goes back a month.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service
312 PM CST Thu Mar 9 2017

...Freezing Temperatures Expected Friday Night...

.A rare area of Arctic high pressure will surge across the area
late tonight and Friday, setting the stage for a hard freeze over
portions of the region late Friday night and Saturday morning.
Low temperatures in the 20s will be common over the next several
nights heading into next week.

312 PM CST Thu Mar 9 2017

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM FRIDAY TO 8 AM CST
SATURDAY...

The National Weather Service in Paducah has issued a Freeze
Warning, which is in effect from 10 PM Friday to 8 AM CST
Saturday.

* TEMPERATURE...Mid 20s along the I-64 corridor to around 30 near
  the border region of southeast Missouri.

* IMPACTS...The forecast temperatures will likely damage fruit
  trees, especially those trees that have already budded out such
  as peach trees. Other plants that are similarly ahead of
  schedule for the spring growing season could also be impacted.
  Please take precautions to protect any sensitive plants. The
  cold nights will likely continue well into next week.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Freeze Warning means sub-freezing temperatures are imminent or
highly likely. These conditions will kill crops and other
sensitive vegetation.

&&

Yes, my peach tree is budded out and has some blooms.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
Hit 90F today and aired out the cold house. We'll be upper 80's pretty much through the next week. :-)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
This has to be some kind of weird joke:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »
This has to be some kind of weird joke:
And as long as that great big blue H sits over my neck of the woods, things ain't gonna change much.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
Those  big blue H's  in the north are also in an long string of them moving to the east  from  out of the Bering.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »
Having some of the coldest weather since December this week.

Spring my foot.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 05:05:38 PM »
Spring my foot.
No kidding, forget spring, we've got temps here normal for early/mid June.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »
Here in KY, we saw quite a bit of damage from that severe storm outbreak that ushered in the month of March.  Record breaking warmth carried us through the week leading up to that. 

This week, polar opposite.  Lows in the teens, daffodils screaming for mercy, fruit trees being damaged, tracking possible snow events.  Nature always keeps a balance.

As for what spring will hold, I'm expecting an uptick in severe.  The midwest has been very quiet for the last few years due to El Nino dominating.  That's led to cool, wet summers with few tornadoes, and cold, snowy winters.  Well, now we're headed the other direction with weak La Nina conditions present and a true war between cold air and warm air already setting up in the Ohio Valley region.  Things in this part of the world are about to get interesting.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Spring/Summer '17 - trivia
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 08:30:39 PM »
astronomical spring today :-)

Little trivia...

Despite the common belief that spring equinox is on Mar 21st, it can actually be anytime between 19th and 21st and 21st is relatively exception. There will not be a single spring equinox on March 21st (UTC) until the end of this century :-)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 07:44:10 PM »
Now I can talk about spring.  Golf ball hail in Iowa today. Pea size in Minnesota.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »
Well spring season in my country actually is SUMMER already hohoho

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 01:11:19 AM »
This weather system has been doing pretty good for the rain in the most of the western half of Oklahoma, so far, tonight.   No tornadoes or big hail associated with the storms.  Some places have had high wind gusts, and flash flooding in low lying areas, though.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 11:08:46 PM »
Well Except us hehehehe heat Index now is almost 37 degrees (98.6 F) expect you have sunburn in just 8 mins exposure. you can fried an egg just exposed it outside our yard LOL  :-P ^^

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 06:39:37 AM »
Forecast of 81 today, then 61 Friday?

Momma still can't figure out what season she wants to wear.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 07:29:14 AM »
26C (79F) last weekend
1C (33F) with -7C (19F) feels like (strong wind) and snowing today

:D :D

I enjoy this