Author Topic: Acurite 01035  (Read 7537 times)

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
Acurite 01035
« on: January 26, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »
I am a National Weather Service Senior Forecaster and I have had an Oregon Scientific WMR100N for 5 years. Overall I have been pleased with its performance, but I have been able to test one of the Acurite 01035/01050 systems over the past month and a half. I was a little skeptical, given the Acurite price and newness to the market of PWS's. I must say that I have been very very pleased with the Acurite unit, and would highly recommend the system to anyone. From a professional Meteorologist who takes his data quality seriously, this is my highest endorsement. All of the readings are very close to our local ASOS just 5 miles away. The dewpoint/humidity, which frequently would be way too low on the OS unit, is spot-on on the Acurite. The Barometer is much much better, once I was able to hook up to Weather Display and get the correct calibrated reading.  I now have the Acurite system updating my ajax website at moreheadcityweather.com.

There are flaws with the whole Bridge setup, with only 15-minute Weather Underground uploading, and the numbers that run through the Bridge are frequently quite different that what appears on the console or what is sent to Weather Underground, and the My Backyard Weather app. That's why getting a USB-enabled unit and using Weather Display is a MUST! In fact, I would encourage Acurite to abandon the whole Bridge idea, as this would appeal to only very low-end users. Using Weather Display clears up all issues that I had with the system. I was able to get all of the data calibrated and everything now is solid! 

Again, excellent unit, running in combination with Weather Display (thanks Brian for all of your good work), and I would highly recommend to anyone getting into the PWS hobby.

Just my two cents,
Chris Collins
moreheadcityweather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Acurite 01035
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »
What did you pay for it?  Also, if the Bridge is useless one needs to have a PC, a USB connector and WeatherDisplay.  That is what?  400 more bucks?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »
I have fixed a small windspeed calculation error in the latest WD update  #-o
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
Bushman,

They are available in Walmart store now for around $100. And I guess I mis-stated the comment about the bridge. It is useful if you want to update the phone app using the My Backyard Weather interface which is still being developed or for looking at the data on the My Backyard Weather website.

For hardcore users, like many on this forum, who use their weather stations to drive their web sites, then the USB cable, PC and Weather Display would be a must to get the most out of this weather station. If one is just a casual weather observer, and just wants to monitor conditions outside of their house, this station is also great for that. I gave one to my mother and she loves it.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:29:54 PM »
So what did YOU pay for the unit you tested?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
That is correct actually, the Bridge is really for ALL users who want to monitor their own weather at home- not designed just for hardcore weather professionals like folks on this site. We have had allot of folks use the ethernet bridge to monitor temps inside and outside of businesses, other properties, etc.- they like that they can essentially build their own weather station.

The "weather professional" market is extremely important to us overall, but the reality is that it's a very small market compared to the average "hobbyist" or family folks who just want to know the weather for everyday activities. We create products for everyone, so the whole spectrum is covered with our connectivity products.

The USB connected station gives you allot of options, especially now that Brian has his great software working with it- I second that thanks to Brian for all his hard work. =D>

Offline jeeptj5

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »
I have had the Acurite 1025/1035 station installed for about two weeks now, and I couldn’t be happier. Let me start out by saying I am NOT a weather professional, just a hobbyist.  I am in southwestern Arizona and I am completely off-grid powered.  I was a little concerned about running the console on 110VAC, but the current draw is so small that I can leave my small inverter on 24/7 without running down my batteries.  I am primarily solar powered and supplemented with a wind generator.  I use an Acer Netbook computer powered off of 12 Volts to display my data and feed the internet via a Verizon cell/internet interface.

I received and installed the station and had it running within minutes.  I installed the USB driver in the Acer XP Netbook and it came up and worked.  I was able to connect with the Acurite servers and I was able to then connect to Weather Underground.  The USB software has been working properly since then. 

I have downloaded and installed the Weather Display software, and it is really great.  I like being able to see the station in nearly real-time and updated constantly.  Due the vast array of options in the Weather Display software, I have not taken advantage of all the options, and some of the setups have been a little confusing, but I will keep plugging away to figure out all the features of interest to me.  I have WD feeding Acurite, but I still have Acurite feeding WUnderground.  I tied to set that up, but it didn’t work, so I’ll have to come back to that. (I know it works, I just have to figure out how to set it up)

From my experience, the Acurite 1025 weather station is a real winner.  I really like the multiple parameter display and the alarms, etc.  The wind alarm is especially handy for me.  I’m in a RV and when the awning is out and the wind comes up (which is frequent on the desert) the alarm will remind me to pay attention to the awning and put it up if necessary.  The accuracy of the readings seem to be very good, and agree closely with stations reporting around me.

I have had no hardware problems or failures with the Acurite system, and installing it was really easy.  I also have a Acurite 1050C at my home location in Illinois which has been up and running since the fall of 2011.  I had an initial failure of the internet bridge, but Costco sent me a whole new unit very quickly and it has all been working properly since then.  The bridge has been very reliable since the software update  a few weeks ago.
All in all, the Acurite system is a great value for the cost of the system. Check out my system on WUndergorund it is KCAWINTE2.

Don

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 03:11:27 AM »
one thing to note is that the station is new on the market and so is still undergoing improvements as issues come to light
one issue is in a moist climate, moisture getting into the humidity sensor
they are working on improving that
thats what is good about this new station, they are willing to work on improving the design etc :)
if you live in a dry climate then you will not have that problem :)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
one thing to note is that the station is new on the market and so is still undergoing improvements as issues come to light
one issue is in a moist climate, moisture getting into the humidity sensor
they are working on improving that
thats what is good about this new station, they are willing to work on improving the design etc :)
if you live in a dry climate then you will not have that problem :)

Pardon me for being a bit cynical here but wouldn't one think that a company building a weather station for national or international consumption would thoroughly test their designs BEFORE they place them on the market? To me, it just screams of a very poor design and quality control/assurance. Weather stations should work regardless of whether they are placed in humid or dry climates!

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
true
but depends on what resources/budgets you have etc

note that other similar priced stations also tend to sucumb to similar problems in extreme environments as well
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
true
but depends on what resources/budgets you have etc

note that other similar priced stations also tend to sucumb to similar problems in extreme environments as well

Perhaps I jumped the gun with my comments but I really don't consider the term "moist climate" to be indicative of an "extreme environment". If that is what was meant, then I was off-base.

However, you are correct, given the price of the new system, it does appear to be a very good performer. It is always nice to hear that a manufacturer is actively working on improving and debugging a product.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849