Author Topic: Newbie needs advice on new PWS  (Read 782 times)

Offline BarryGordon

Newbie needs advice on new PWS
« on: March 09, 2019, 12:24:19 PM »
I am new to the Personal Weather Station community, having never owned one. I had an API from IBM/WU (WeatherUnderground) but with their new business model, the API has been canceled. I am a fairly expert programmer and write my own software for Home Automation.  My home has wall mounted iPads in each major room for control and information display. One of the display pages was weather information consisting of local conditions and a 5-day forecast. Obviously, that page is now defunct. It is my understanding that IBM/WU will provide a free access key to those that have a PWS and are supplying data to IBM/WU

One approach I am looking at is to install a PWS and provide that information to IBM/WU, get a new API key as a weather data supplier, make any required software changes, and be back in business.  I need some help in selecting a PWS. I would like a system that is reasonably priced (<$400), easy to install,  capable of straight forward communications to the IBM/WU service, and that is well documented as to installation and communications protocol.  The house has a robust Wi-Fi system and a fast internet connection. If possible I only want a weather sensor with the ability to communicate to WU without a console,  as the iPads in each room act as my consoles. Is there a weather sensor that will meet my needs, assuming I may have to buy some additional connectivity equipment?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Newbie needs advice on new PWS
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »
I'd say you have a few choices...These are the best ones to consider:

Acurite Atlas with Access Internet hub....you can get the Atlas without the display and just the Access device.

Ambient Weather WS-2000 or WS-2902A or WS-1550-IP, depending on if you want a nice display, and okay display, or no display. You can add the display's afterwards also.

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue with WiFi Logger from scaledinstruments.com (this just barely goes over $400)

Ecowitt GW1000 with weather station accessory components.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:00:23 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 02:16:34 PM »
Since you are 'a fairly expert programmer' and deeply into Home Automation, you should do your own thing with a Raspberry Pi Weather Station. This one is one example of many that others have built & documented, and it has instructions for:
  • Temperature
  • Humidity
  • Wind Speed & Direction
  • Pressure
  • Rain
  • Weather Camera

You can customize and add or delete as many sensors and features as you want. It is also a simple way to get the data to your Ipads without relying on external systems such as WU since it is all on your local network.

Offline BarryGordon

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 01:57:04 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I agree with everything you have said and my endeavors with home automation are exactly done that way. The overseeing control point is a Raspberry Pi 3 running Node.js.  The only external system usage has been Alexa, Text to speech (both via Amazon) and weather.  The reason for the Weather was for forecasts.  I wanted a five day-forecast available.  WU supplied that quick and free in the past.

My query still stays the same.