Author Topic: Reporting Wind But Not Recording  (Read 431 times)

Offline denemc

• Tainui Weather
Reporting Wind But Not Recording
« on: August 02, 2018, 06:58:35 PM »
I'm in the boat of having a weather station that looks like an Ambient Weather 29XX model, but I suspect it's a Fine Offset WH2950... Anyhow...  The station is reporting wind on the console, current conditions on Weather Underground, and the high and low update in both places. However, the history can go for hours without showing any wind even though the station is detecting it. I assumed this was a Weather Underground issue so emailed them with no response. In the meantime, I hooked it up to Met Office WOW and Weather Cloud and it is doing the same thing - current conditions show wind speed but graphs have large blank periods.

Essentially, it is reporting things correctly from what I can see, but it's not being recorded in the history for certain periods and it's not platform specific. It's a console model so I haven't been able to capture the traffic using any hacks to see what it sends out.

Does anyone have any experience or can provide any advice? I'm thinking it's a faulty unit and I should just send it back, although I got it at a good price and here in NZ I won't be able to get another one for under double the cost I paid.

Any help to capture the traffic that is going out would be appreciated. Many thanks!

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IDUNEDIN70
https://app.weathercloud.net/d8101733659
https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details?site_id=be972360-198f-e811-8c6e-0003ff597a81

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Reporting Wind But Not Recording
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 09:06:44 PM »
If you are seeing wind reported on the console that doesn't match what you are seeing online with WU and WOW. Then it sounds like a software bug. Maybe you need to update the console to a newer firmware. It is the job of the console after all to do the uploading.

But I can't tell you how to get a firmware update because you didn't mention what brand or model you really have.

You said it looks like the WS-29XX but you think you have a WH2950. Well the WH2950 is like a mix of the new WS-2902A console with the outdoor array of the older WS-1001 which also the same as the WS-1202 and WS-1401. Those comparisons I've made are in relation with Ambient Weather models.

So it looks like if in fact what you have is a clone of the WH2950 then realize we don't really have that combination with Ambient Weather. But that shouldn't matter with troubleshooting your issue. I think it sounds like a firmware update is needed.

Hopefully you can get support from whom you bought it. If your manufacture offers the ObserverIP device. I'm talking about a clone of the ObserverIP that is actually compatible with your station not an actual ObserverIP. Then you could set up the ObserverIP clone to do the uploading instead of the console. As maybe that device has a better software running on it without the bugs in your console.

If not send it back while you are within your return window. All of these devices when they were new and firstly introduced have had bugs. The nice thing with Ambient Weather is that they have been great supporting their products and working with Fine Offset to develop firmware fixes and making the fixes available to their customers. Hopefully you can turn to your manufacture in the same way.

One thing you can also try is to see if the WS Tool app has a firmware update for your device.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:12:11 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything