Author Topic: Removing cotter pin on RainWise stand alone rain gauge  (Read 2190 times)

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
Removing cotter pin on RainWise stand alone rain gauge
« on: June 22, 2018, 11:28:38 AM »
Last August I installed the RainWise tipping bucket to replace my VP2+ tipping bucket. The other day after a very heavy downpour, the RW tipping bucket was clogged and draining slowly. The next day I took it off and removed the clog. It was a little more involved than taking off the Davis rain gauge. I was thinking of leaving the cotter pin out to facilitate an easier removal for cleaning. The debris screen fits in the gauge rather snug and requires a little effort to remove without the cotter pin. Was wondering if anyone out there has opted to leave the cotter pin out?
Bill

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Removing cotter pin on RainWise stand alone rain gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
I've not had to take the cotter pin out again (once out a few times, they stay out) since I started using a little stainless steel screen looking a little bit like a sombrero.  I got one with several sizes to chose from, from my local DIY Menards (sort of like Lowes, etc) and it stays in place, filters out the big stuff like maple helicopters, oak droopies, and all the normal stuff.  The fine dust and other dirt still is there but that is far less.  And the cotter pin being gone, I'm hoping the channel directing the water to the buckets is more open and what may be getting through is going right on through, not being netted and held up by the cotter pin.

In the years since one of the members here told about it, I've had very quick (and much easier cleaning ) of my buckets.

If you don't know what I'm describing, I'll take a pic later.   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 12:24:35 PM »

If you don't know what I'm describing, I'll take a pic later.   Dale

Thanks for the quick reply Dale. A pic would help but no hurry. We have a Menards not far from me.

Bill
Bill

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »
It says it is a Danco 2 1/2" stainless screen.  There were about three sizes to choose from, at least the time I got mine.

I will get a picture this afternoon if I can get away from some other work.

There are some more widely flanged and while I was worried that it would not let all the rain into the buckets, I think that the 'seal' obtained by the flange sitting on the plastic collection funnel is not so good that the water just runs in under it anyway. 

I've not had a problem but do clean it after the trees are done polinating and again after the leaves fall in the fall.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:07:04 PM »
Thanks much Dale. Just checked online and my local Menards has it. Appreciate the help.

Bill
Bill

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »
Now why didn't I ever think of that.  Walmart sells a package of different sizes.  They are sold as sink traps.  Thanks to you Dale I have a new use for them.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:44:47 PM »
I leave mine out also. Same as dale but I don't get much pluggage other bird turds.
Randy

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
It says it is a Danco 2 1/2" stainless screen.  There were about three sizes to choose from, at least the time I got mine.

I will get a picture this afternoon if I can get away from some other work.

There are some more widely flanged and while I was worried that it would not let all the rain into the buckets, I think that the 'seal' obtained by the flange sitting on the plastic collection funnel is not so good that the water just runs in under it anyway. 

I've not had a problem but do clean it after the trees are done polinating and again after the leaves fall in the fall.

Dale, it looks like you just placed it in the center of the collection bucket, is that right?  Is it anchored in any way?  No problems with wind blowing it around?

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
Short Answer:
I just placed it in the center of he depression that the funnel forms, and tried to make sure the outer rim of the strainer was flush against the funnel all the way around.

I have 6 of these installed at various locations and in what are Rainwise or Rainwise-supplied funnels, along with a couple of Davis and a Peet Brothers, and no problems whatsoever with wind or other disruption.  Being metal, they have some weight, and they are lower down into the funnel, and it would have to be one mighty wind to dislodge them in any way.

Never had a bird try to make off with one, either, but I haven't got many crows around where my wx stuff is, and they'd be the only culprits here.

I haven't ever had the concern that it might move or fall out.  It is metal and doesn't float, so even when the pollen and chaff from the various trees do collect it does have to be pulled and cleaned, and the worst for plugging up the original round little plastic screen that fits into the depression of the funnel is when it is very dusty, there are small brief showers that wash some atmospheric junk which is very fine into the already present pollen and that can settle in the area below the original round plastic screen, but much less often than when the cotter key is in there making the orifice much smaller.

Unlike Randy, I've not had too much of a problem with this being a porta-potty for birds, but I can see how it might be attractive to them sitting on the edge and then reducing take off weight just before they fly off.

These help a lot in my heavily treed area and in the spring for six weeks when the blacktop driveway is greenish yellow with oak tree pollen and such onslaught, along with maple tree helicopters that collect and some long stringy flower parts from the oaks, I think, it cuts down a tremendous amount on the trips up to clean the collectors.  The mesh is big enough that some stuff gets through, and I'd advise against trying to tack the stainless screen down with a few tiny buttons of silicon seal, since I take these out, clean, pop out the plastic disk, blow through the funnel and then reassemble once or three times a year.  I guess a guy could put a BB sized spot a couple places around the screen and make sure, but I'm thinking that if wind is going to dislodge it, your location has a lot of other problems to fix after the storm beyond trying to find your screen.

If I can elaborate in any other way, let me know.  I'm not sure how these would fare in really dusty areas like the SW with the haboobs and other major dust storms, with some rain afterwards which might make the dust into a sort of a cement.

I'm curious to hear from people in those areas who have a different filter problem.  I'm guessing it is more dust than it is massive pollent and other aerial material.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php