Author Topic: New Online WU Survey  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Mac005

New Online WU Survey
« on: February 22, 2018, 07:41:13 PM »
Noticed,in the header of my WU station page, a survey request.  I took the relatively short survey.  Not sure what they are trying to determine from the data.  They did inquire what did I use WU and Weather.com for. Does anyone have any opinions or information?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
Re: New Online WU Survey
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
I remember several similar surveys over the past year or two...waste of time..what are they trying to determine exactly? I think they have far more pressing problems to concentrate on.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 01:16:51 AM »
They are trying to figure out which bits of the WU corpse to move over to weather.com when they shut WU down.

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 06:45:36 AM »
They are trying to figure out which bits of the WU corpse to move over to weather.com when they shut WU down.

That's starting to become a common opinion...that Weather Underground will be dismantled sometime in the next six months and all this work going on of late is just to facilitate the integration into weather.com.

I have no insider knowledge and no view on the subject actually; but, this opinion is certainly gaining momentum on this site as well as other weather-related forums.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:54:14 AM »
So this is just conjecture at this point?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 12:56:06 PM »
So this is just conjecture at this point?
Read the 72 point type between the lines.  They've gotten very little done on the WU site and most of what they have done is to shore up the data collection and display.  The rest of it continues to fall apart.

I could be very wrong--I hope I am very wrong--but it doesn't take a PhD in IT to see that they've deployed minimal resources to fixing the WU site...hell, it was almost completely broken for six months before even this meager effort started.  The last activity on any of the "official" WU member accounts here was January 22, and now we're getting surveys about weather.com and what we use and what we'd like to see.  Add it up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:14:23 PM by WSWeather »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 04:15:50 PM »
those weather stations that rely on WU to show you the weather data will be left in the dark if WU goes
I see some have now started to offer alternatives like weather cloud?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 04:45:37 PM »
those weather stations that rely on WU to show you the weather data will be left in the dark if WU goes
What's keeping me around is the rapid fire updates. No other option for that for those of us without a website. If any of the alternatives were to offer that I believe it would be a huge nail in the coffin.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 10:34:22 AM »
As a little insurance "in case" WU goes down the tube, people who have all their eggs in WU's basket might want to add a link to an alternative location for users to find the weather data at.  Maybe go ahead and purchase a domain name if they're thinking about setting up their own website, maybe post a link to their PWS website presence, maybe to SEWN (or your regional group), etc.,.  Post those links on their WU page so users might remember the location.   

Hopefully WU will make it.  If they don't...it's not the end of the world.  ;)

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

anything