Author Topic: Attn: Region 3 Operators  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Attn: Region 3 Operators
« on: February 02, 2015, 12:18:31 AM »
2022 ... Sferics.us operator's forum and some features disabled as the network has matured.  Please use the main Blitzortung Forum.
The 'signal tool' became obsolete.

February 1, 2015For several reasons, the "Stations Signals Page" must be moved to  'Non- Public'  access.
So we have a solution for that.  And we're about to tell you.

But first.... as briefly as possible, here's a summary:
In private communications over the past few months, many of us expressed the  opinion
that the time is approaching when Region Three operators will need their own centralized 'hangout'. 

And that's where the Signals Page tool, and some other operator-only
tools and information, connections and collections are located, effective immediately.

It's still under 'development' and refinement, but since it's February 1st....
we feel we need to bring it online - raw and incomplete as it is... to be ready for the coming year promising
the advent of System Blue,  anticipated network growth, and this year's focus on signal and network quality.

http://sferics.us/
and the Signals Page Is linked under "Operator Tools" in the 'forum'.

To access the data you will have to be registered and log in at 'Region 3 Blitzortung Operators'.
The Signals Pages' direct link requires log in to the forum, should you try to 'bypass'.

We felt that if we can introduce "Region 3" to a new station owner quickly, and invite
them to the Region 3 Operators website, they hopefully will find a 'home base',
with all the 'goodies' compiled / referenced from one location.... you'll help do that, right???

Working with the Developers at Blitzortung and LightningMaps, Sferics administrators have
been  granted extremely limited ability and permission  to contact all operators as appropriate
.... especially those 'invisible'.  And this cannot be done in a "public venue".

This new restricted website does not mean any of us are going to 'leave' any forums or boards
such as WxForum.
But there is a need to pull us all together so we can 'bring the best'
back to WxForum, and other boards, after we've honed certain issues, experiments, speculation,
construction ideas, etc. That coordinated info then can be shared in public venues if appropriate.
The ability to invite the 'invisible' operators means they can be encouraged to become active in the other boards.

The site is Only for Active Region 3 Blitzortung Operators... If you haven't' been active somewhat over the last 90 days,
or have not completed your 'user information' pages on Blitzortung. org your registration may be delayed.
Likewise if you have changed your email address since opening your station.

Your privacy, and content security is preeminent, as is protection against hackers hijackers, and spammers.
So obtaining access is not automatic.

Registration is by invitation only.
Invites will begin shortly, and will take some time to coordinate. I understand invites will begin with the oldest stations
If you wish an immediate invitation, send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you one ASAP.
There does exist a possibility 'duplicates' may be sent. Apologies.
Once you're registered, you'll be able to send invites to other operators to help this thing along.
Also note: Except for Admin and Moderator, there are only two types of members:
                "New Member" becomes "Operator" after 2 posts. That's it. Period.

• Your invitation email will contain an 'Invitation Key' code, which is required in the registration form.
  • Two info items related to your Blitzortung Station are required (Explained on the registration page).
  • A few other 'security' fields are included.
Completing Registration
  • You will receive an Email acknowledging receipt, and are "Awaiting Approval" from the site Admins.
  • You will receive an Email, when approved, containing an "Activation Link". Once done you're all set....
  • ...except for one more "spammer/ troll/ hacker" GOTCHA:
    Your very first post (only) and your very first (only) 'sent' Personal Message will require a quick validation. :)

Cheers!
Mike
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 10:47:25 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
Re: Attn: Region 3 Operators
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:25:30 PM »
UPDRAFT: Region 3 Spring Cleaning
Righto!
Re: Operators who have sent signals since 01/01/2015
98 Invitations have been sent from Sferics.Us to Region 3 Operators. :!:
63 of you have completed registration  UU
35 have not responded to the initial invite, which will expire shortly.  :sad:
2 of you have incomplete contact information on Blitzortung.org, so haven't been invited.   [-X
           Some of the others 'not responding' may be due to faulty information, also. Don't Know.
One Dead Station reactivated upon contact and we are troubleshooting with him.  =D>
Another is targeted... look out 1237 with Bad DHCP... we're coming atcha....   :twisted:

19 other Stations appear "dead in the water", and haven't been contacted personally as yet.  :-({|=
   13 operators of which we may be able to contact, (multiple stations)  [-o<
   3  stations concerned which are big old "huhs" "?" who and what???? and likely will be dropped from BO database quickly  ](*,)
   All of these 19 run the risk of being dropped soon, so we are trying to work our way to you.... some in fact are defunct, already,  :cry:
      but Information hasn't been communicated to the Developers, or has been "lost in the shuffle"   :-&

If you didn't receive an invite, and are active, or if you need another sent, PM me with your Sta#, BO ID# and correct email address.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »
Unanswered Invitations begin to expire today....

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:27:31 AM »
All the initial invitations have expired. In a few days, we will reissue invitations one more time only to those who didn't respond to the first mailing.
A couple of you have not responded to the activation email, and your membership is still in limbo... this activation will expire shortly and you'll have to be invited again.
Your operator information on the main Blitzortung site may be outdated, or incorrect... especially in your registered Email address at Blitzortung... which is used for the contact for the Region 3 Operators site.
Also a few may have replied from a different Email address and caused the approval and activation to fail.

Offline SaintGimp

• Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:18:52 AM »
I haven't been paying much attention over the winter so I guess I missed the invitation process.  Can I still be included?

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 05:01:55 AM »
I haven't been paying much attention over the winter so I guess I missed the invitation process.  Can I still be included?
Sure. Check  inbox or junkmail at the email account you used when you registered at Blitzortung.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 05:08:28 AM »
If you missed it, there's an important poll for Region 3 Operators that will close April 6th...
http://sferics.us/bo1/index.php?topic=89.0

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 11:31:39 AM »
A bit behind on updates, but today added 2 new stations to the signals page... http://sferics.us
1345 Marion Iowa
1346 Bobcaygeon Ontario Canada
All active 'AMERICAS' (ex-'Region 3') stations should now have their server received 'signals' and 'FFTs' available... excluding the Green Stations, as Egon has gradually changed the processing to handle the more implicit RED data.  Note that "Greens" are not ignored, just the signal data at this source is not available.  Note also that the 'signals' server was offline for approximately 24 hours, but is back up as this is written...

Cheers!
Mike

Offline va3mw

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 12:35:04 PM »
I am 1346 and I am attempting to join.  I would be in if the test questions didn't require so much research. :)

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 01:48:04 PM »
Sorrry... the answers should be obvious to anyone who's read the documentation... Send me a PM with the specifics... we'll figure it out...
Cheers!
l

Offline va3mw

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 07:34:40 PM »
Thanks Mike

I already replied to the email I received.

Maybe you can explain to me (in a PM if required), why this is needed?  Isn't this about sharing information?

Mike

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
Some reasoning' is outlined in the original post of this thread.  You're entirely free to do as you will, of course. Yes, it is about sharing.  But it's also about 'theorizing' and 'solutions' in a less public venue, before bringing public if appropriate. Some items, such as signal data, some apps, etc are not for public, e.g.

anything