Author Topic: My La Crosse Technology S84060 Install Pics  (Read 5334 times)

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

Re: My La Crosse Technology S84060 Install Pics
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »
A couple more pics.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

La Crosse Technology S84060 *Currently on WU*
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 12:58:44 PM »
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 03:39:29 PM »
I mounted the multi sensor unit (wind anemometer, wind vane, and rainfall collector) first on a cut block of pressure treated lumber. Drilled holes through this block to attach it to the 10' x 1" two piece galvanized steel pole with two stainless steel U bolts. I then adjusted the provided plastic post mount so I could mount it to the cut wood block with the included wood screws. Very sturdy mount when I completed this! See pics.

Overall a nice installation, but one suggestion: trim that square wood mounting board down as much as possible.
As it is now [kind of large]  it will certainly generate some extra turbulence that will affect your wind readings [esp. direction] when the wind direction is perpendicular, plus/minus, to the board [advice from an old sailor who has been 'reading' that supposedly invisible wind flow for >six decades].
I use a thick, rigid plastic sheet material, sold as a kitchen 'cutting board' [of a marine-use "Starboard"-like plastic] bought at Wally's, etc., for such mounting uses; easier than wood to work with, and far more durable.

Looking at your pic of the LaCrosse console, it's interesting how LC's current generation of color displays all bear a strong resemblance. They're functional, readable, and useful.
My old main WX unit is just a mono gray display. But the LC clearance store had some very similar color plain temp/hum '2-display/1 outdoor sensor' sets on sale [~$25 iirc], so I bought 3 sets [1 for me, 2 gifts]. It's my main 'go-to' for a quick glance at inside-outside conditions, with the two easy to see displays located in different rooms. Very similar to yours [minus wind/baro], they're quite readable from a distance, and accurate.

If your WX station has a PC connection, you might see if it will let you upload your data to some of the other WX services, like CWOP, besides the problematic WU.
If its' current software package doesn't do that, try downloading the old "HeavyWeather" and "WUHU" progs/apps [formerly used by La Crosse, mine just keep humming along], and see if they will work with your station. I have copies of them, stored away somewhere. This might require some experimentation with the options and settings, but if they were to work, WUHU uploads to a number of online WX ingests [esp. the CWOP, which feeds MADIS].

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 06:06:19 PM »
 Also, earlier today I had to remove the AcuRite 00386SDI multi sensor from the satellite mounting arm. The last few days it's outdoor temperature and humidity readings have been lagging terribly and remain stuck... sometimes for 12 hours or more 😔 After installing fresh new ultimate lithium batteries and giving it a careful cleaning a couple weeks ago, it seems to maybe have reached the end of its lifetime. It was still giving accurate and timely wind speed readings, and barometric pressure readings, but that's all 😔
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:55:41 PM by AdkManUpstateNY »
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »
I mounted the multi sensor unit (wind anemometer, wind vane, and rainfall collector) first on a cut block of pressure treated lumber. Drilled holes through this block to attach it to the 10' x 1" two piece galvanized steel pole with two stainless steel U bolts. I then adjusted the provided plastic post mount so I could mount it to the cut wood block with the included wood screws. Very sturdy mount when I completed this! See pics.

Overall a nice installation, but one suggestion: trim that square wood mounting board down as much as possible.
As it is now [kind of large]  it will certainly generate some extra turbulence that will affect your wind readings [esp. direction] when the wind direction is perpendicular, plus/minus, to the board [advice from an old sailor who has been 'reading' that supposedly invisible wind flow for >six decades].
I use a thick, rigid plastic sheet material, sold as a kitchen 'cutting board' [of a marine-use "Starboard"-like plastic] bought at Wally's, etc., for such mounting uses; easier than wood to work with, and far more durable.

Looking at your pic of the LaCrosse console, it's interesting how LC's current generation of color displays all bear a strong resemblance. They're functional, readable, and useful.
My old main WX unit is just a mono gray display. But the LC clearance store had some very similar color plain temp/hum '2-display/1 outdoor sensor' sets on sale [~$25 iirc], so I bought 3 sets [1 for me, 2 gifts]. It's my main 'go-to' for a quick glance at inside-outside conditions, with the two easy to see displays located in different rooms. Very similar to yours [minus wind/baro], they're quite readable from a distance, and accurate.

If your WX station has a PC connection, you might see if it will let you upload your data to some of the other WX services, like CWOP, besides the problematic WU.
If its' current software package doesn't do that, try downloading the old "HeavyWeather" and "WUHU" progs/apps [formerly used by La Crosse, mine just keep humming along], and see if they will work with your station. I have copies of them, stored away somewhere. This might require some experimentation with the options and settings, but if they were to work, WUHU uploads to a number of online WX ingests [esp. the CWOP, which feeds MADIS].

Thanks for your input!! I will consider everything you've said. I too was worrying if the size of the wood mounting block might be too large and have an effect on the wind speed and direction readings and you might be right. It has seemed very accurate, but might also be able to to get more accurate still 👍
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »
That big board also catches a bit of wind, creating drag forces that will stress the pole, etc.; although it all looks more than adequate for all but very extreme WX events [and you're sure not in hurricane country]. It probably makes perfect perches for pesky birds too  :] , they'll be pecking at the vane and cups too.

The WUHU ingest-uploader program will accept WX data inputs from a large number of dynamic file types, and ports [usb & serial], from many WX station vendors and models [including Davis VP's, Vues, LaCrosse, and others; and various WX software files].
It then can upload to one or more of at least six WX sites [WU, CWOP, PWSweather, MetWOW, etc].
So it may be possible to get it to accept data from your station, then upload to more than just WU.
Although I have no idea how yours interfaces with the internet, with a direct Access/Metbridge type IP-direct [wifi] device, or via a PC-IP connection. If it is PC based, then it [wuhu] could probably be made to work as an uploader by finding the right option settings.
Would be an interesting hack if, for example, the station file format didn't quite work without needing a bit of reformatting on the fly.

I've got a new Acurite 5in1 that is limited to WU [and Acurite], which sucks. With the IP-direct Access device interface, a hack is much more difficult; although getting a pc-usb console is an option that might be made to work w/wuhu.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:33:44 PM by Jstx »

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »
If you haven't already you might consider a ground wire?

Doug

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 03:59:56 PM »
Just a note to say thanks for posting. Very interesting and informative, and always nice to see other peoples setups and the work involved. cheers!

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2020, 01:33:44 AM »
A new high wind speed record was set for my station on the 19th of February, 2020 and all is fine. 41.4 MPH
AcuRite 00386SDI