Author Topic: RIPE Atlas  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
RIPE Atlas
« on: January 09, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »
RIPE Atlas is a global network of probes that measure Internet connectivity and reachability, providing an unprecedented understanding of the state of the Internet in real time.

I have recently joined this network by running a probe.

I recommended everyone that sees this message to sign up for this program. The more probes online, the more information collected.

Note that the probes are free do not monitor what you are doing on the internet. It only measures information about your WAN internet connection. It also measures your internet quality and uptime!

More information about this program can be found here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 08:24:55 PM by Tanner Ryan »
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: RIPE Atlas
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 07:51:10 PM »
Got mine today.

Free and easy to set up, but they don't provide you with a power supply.  They do give you a cable that lets you power it from a USB port.  The cable has a pass-through connector so you can still use that USB port for other things. 

I plugged it into the USB port of my DirectTV Nomad (GenieGo)... not sure that's such a good idea, but it seems to power the probe just fine.  Later I'll move it to a USB wall-wart or cell phone charger.

https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/25827/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 07:54:23 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »
Is it a pass through connector, or a double headed USB port for extra power?

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28834578-
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Good point.  I'll have to take a closer look.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 10:32:53 PM »
I been using it for over 1yr now. Took mine offline some time ago though.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »
From what I saw of the map, the US is under-represented.

US should represent!  (after all, they send you the equipment for free!)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 09:00:38 PM »
I applied for one at my site. Email I received back said if I was accepted, I'd get another email otherwise not. So, I sit and wait for the email. No stations near me other than a couple in the Reno area. Nothing around South Lake Tahoe so I'm hoping I make the cut.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 12:27:08 PM »
Just got my email today - RIPE Atlas Probe shipped 2016-01-26 14:34UTC...  \:D/
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 10:36:50 PM »
Received my RIPE ATLAS package today. There is absolutely no documentation of any kind that comes with the package - just the Atlas and two sets of cables. I used the USB connector on the back of my CISCO router as the power source since it was handy. Works fine, so far. There is a URL printed on the RIPE ATLAS box and that is where I went to look for additional info.

Once I plugged it in, the lights came on and began flashing. I went to their website and a couple minutes after I powered-on I received a message (on the website) that my probe had been registered for the first time. Now I see I've been on-line for 7 minutes and that the firmware has automatically been updated. I also see a green doughnut shaped circle but haven't a clue as to what that means. Can't find any user documentation either. This will be something else to occupy my time...  \:D/

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 11:07:32 PM »
Thanks Don, I hope you learn a lot and then willing to share as mine is on the way and I will certainly be looking for help.

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 11:26:26 PM »
Paul,

My RIPE ATLAS came pre-registered. It has the ID and MAC address info on a label on the bottom of the unit. It's a small compact unit so it doesn't take up much space. Here's a link that tells you how to install the unit. It was buried on the website.
The title of the page isn't too intuitive from my perspective.
NOTE: There is a three-position switch (3G/4G - WISP - AP) next to the LAN connector. Mine was in the 3G/4G position so I left it there. Don't know what it does but figured it would be better not to mess with it. There is also a push button labeled WPS/RESET on the top of the unit. Again, I don't know exactly what it does so I'm not going to push it to see what happens.
I received my email notification that the unit had shipped on 1/26/2016 and it arrived today 2/2/2016 so it was only about a week to get here from the Netherlands - pretty quick.
You can see my page at: https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/26817/

EDIT: Well DUH,  :oops: I just found out that the little box is a TP-LINK Portable 3G/4G Wirelss N Router. See the following link that describes the unit and pretty much answers my questions about what the switches and buttons are used for.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:31:50 PM by W3DRM »

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 05:15:15 PM »
Glad to hear that people are getting these probes. The more probes online, the more information collected on internet performance.

If anyone has any questions regarding their probes or this project, feel free to ask me!
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 05:30:29 PM »
Just received the good news email.... My probe is on it's way!!

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »
The Ripe-Atlas kit just came in and after registering (probe #26948 Komoka, ON Canada) I plugged it in at 16:23 and it is recognized showing my IP address and service provider, etc..  However after nearly 30 minutes it still says "No data available for probe #26748 for this time period."  The Ripe Star Atlas Probe Traffic page seems to show some data.  So not sure if am actually up and running correctly and what to do next.

The General Information page seems to show everything ok.  I have not entered anything in Management Sharing or Notification.

Any suggestions if there are any other settings to fill in?

Paul

UPDATE:
Maybe I was too impatient - there now is a "Connection & Traffic" graph being displayed instead of the "No data available..."  Maybe it is alive...

Now what?

Paul
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:24:03 PM by PaulMy »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 08:24:19 PM »
I think I have it all working now http://www.komokaweather.com/ripe-atlas/probe26948.html

Paul

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
It looks like it's working well. Sometimes it will take a few days or so to fully connect to the system. It may still disconnect, then reconnect a few more times.

If you have any issues, feel free to contact me.
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 11:13:15 PM »
To All:

I am willing to give mine forward if you pay for shipping.
PM me if interested.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »
As some of you know, I am usually game to try most things, making them work is another thing, and knowing what it does yet another...

My RIPE-Atlas seemed to be doing well http://www.komokaweather.com/ripe-atlas/probe26948.html
however I just found that it has been off line for over 3 days ](*,)  from about the time I powered off and rebooted my modem/router last week.  Just did a reset on the RIPE-Atlas unit and back on line now... https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/26948/

but what does all the data and graphs really mean, and is it helpful for me?  Anyone care to do a brief and simple explanation that I might understand #-o ?

Paul

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 10:35:19 AM »
NOTE: There is a three-position switch (3G/4G - WISP - AP) next to the LAN connector. Mine was in the 3G/4G position so I left it there. Don't know what it does but figured it would be better not to mess with it. There is also a push button labeled WPS/RESET on the top of the unit. Again, I don't know exactly what it does so I'm not going to push it to see what happens.

From the FAQ :
There's a switch on the side of my probe. What does it do?
Probe version 3 (TP-Link) has a switch on the side that is related to the TP-Link's capabilities as a router; however, this link has no function in relation to the device's role as a RIPE Atlas probe and its position does not affect the probe.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
I've been connected since Feb 3, 2016 and have now been on-line for 23d 12h 26m. Have a connection percentage of 99.96% and been off-line for 0h 12m. It appears there was only a single outage of 12 minutes a while back.

I have no idea how to read any of the charts they have on their website that pertains to my unit and I'm not sure that I really care either. The main thing is that my data is supposedly helping someone, somewhere with some project. Gee, that is reassuring! Oh well, it was free and this is just another hobby thing that gets connected to my router...

I also noticed that the map where they show my location isn't even close to my actual location. Interestingly it is showing I'm in the middle of the Cottonwood Slough which is a boggy, lowlands areas well south of me near the Carson River.

My stations link follows (if anyone is interested, that is):

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
I also noticed that the map where they show my location isn't even close to my actual location. Interestingly it is showing I'm in the middle of the Cottonwood Slough which is a boggy, lowlands areas well south of me near the Carson River.

They don't show the exact location because of privacy concerns.  Mine is currently out in the middle of a bean field.   :roll:

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »

Did you correctly register your probe ?
https://atlas.ripe.net/register/

In https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/ you can update your location

Also take care of "The displayed location is approximated to protect the probe host's privacy. "
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:18:52 PM by Joel »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »
My public shown location is off by 2 blocks but correctly shown on the map when I sign in.

I think my probe is doing its job, whatever that is!?!  https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/26948/

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 02:23:32 PM »
Yes, am correctly registered and located and just realized that when I log-in, my location is spot-on. I was looking at the display when I was not logged-in. My error...  :oops:

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 05:59:15 PM »
I just received my shipping notice from the RIPE Atlas folks.. guess I'll be joining the probe battalion soon :)
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP