Author Topic: Newbie taking the Dive  (Read 4594 times)

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
Re: Newbie taking the Dive
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »
I have had the VP2 plus for two years now and I would not have a unit without the solar and UV sensors.  It just adds to my morning rituals.  I have to do my CoCoRaHS report, then check for hours of sunshine for previous day, read my electric meter, and check mean temperature for previous day.  Then enter the data into my spread sheet.

My home is all electric and faces about 27° East of South and is mostly glass on that wall.  When I built the house, I was able to install a rebuilt electric meter between the main panel and the sub panel that only supplies power to the electric baseboard heaters.  I read this meter every day at 7:00 am and pm during the winter.  I have one of my VantageVues set so that midnight corresponds to 7:00 am.  This allows me to match the mean temperature to the same time period I read the electric meters.  I also run a manual pellet stove for additional heat.  I have a spread sheet that I keep track of the hours it runs over the same period.  I love being able to see the affect of hours of sunshine has on my heating costs.

Enough already.  I have been called "anal" more times than I can count.

Attached is a copy of the spread sheet for this month.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »
Now that is some fastidious record keeping!

I admire your commitment.
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 09:38:26 AM »

and I thought I was bad detailed with all my record keeping  :lol:  but it is great information for whenever you might want to refer to it.

Paul

Offline easyas12

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 01:39:40 PM »
I was thinking of moving my uv and solar sensors to be along with my anemometer at a remote location away from the rain and temperature sensors..  Any idea of the field of view of these sensors.  In other words, when/where might the anemometer interfere?  With the given that the anemometer will be north of the other sensors.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »
I was thinking of moving my uv and solar sensors to be along with my anemometer at a remote location away from the rain and temperature sensors..  Any idea of the field of view of these sensors.  In other words, when/where might the anemometer interfere?  With the given that the anemometer will be north of the other sensors.

Both are "whole sky" sensors.

Offline easyas12

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »

So they must be above (higher) than the anemometer?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »

So they must be above (higher) than the anemometer?

I didn't say that.  You asked what the field of view is.  The usual mounting used by Davis puts he top of the sensors at about the level of the rim of the rain bucket, on the North side of the assembly, with the anemometer just a bit higher and farther on the North side.  Take a look at a picture on the Davisnet site.

Having said that, there is not much shadowing from an anemometer mounted North of those sensors - in particular for cloudless conditions, because the source (the sun) will be South.  (Northern hemisphere).  There would be some shadowing if it's cloudy. 

So, it would depend on how "anal" you are about absolute "accuracy".

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »
Having said that, there is not much shadowing from an anemometer mounted North of those sensors - in particular for cloudless conditions, because the source (the sun) will be South.  (Northern hemisphere).  There would be some shadowing if it's cloudy. 

By the way, I don't think that "shadowing" is the correct word in this context.  And it's probably not "occultation".  Can somebody supply the correct word, please?

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 01:07:50 PM »
I have had the VP2 plus for two years now and I would not have a unit without the solar and UV sensors.  It just adds to my morning rituals.  I have to do my CoCoRaHS report, then check for hours of sunshine for previous day, read my electric meter, and check mean temperature for previous day.  Then enter the data into my spread sheet.

My home is all electric and faces about 27° East of South and is mostly glass on that wall.  When I built the house, I was able to install a rebuilt electric meter between the main panel and the sub panel that only supplies power to the electric baseboard heaters.  I read this meter every day at 7:00 am and pm during the winter.  I have one of my VantageVues set so that midnight corresponds to 7:00 am.  This allows me to match the mean temperature to the same time period I read the electric meters.  I also run a manual pellet stove for additional heat.  I have a spread sheet that I keep track of the hours it runs over the same period.  I love being able to see the affect of hours of sunshine has on my heating costs.

Mark
I do something *similar* but only using daily (24 hr @ noon) power (kWhr) readings (my earlier post):

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=26885.msg258978#msg258978
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:13:36 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »

By the way, I don't think that "shadowing" is the correct word in this context.  And it's probably not "occultation".  Can somebody supply the correct word, please?

How about cloud albedo?
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »

How about cloud albedo?

Related, but ... we're talking about the effect of an object that is above a solar or UV sensor, but not in the direct path between the sun and the sensor.

anything