Author Topic: New Acurite radiation shield for the tower and lightning detectors  (Read 5887 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Another apparently new thing Acurite has put out.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

https://www.acurite.com/solar-radiation-shield.html

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: New Acurite radiation shield for the tower and lightning detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 03:10:16 PM »
I gotta try it. I asked for it, so I must get one.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:51:48 PM »
I gotta try it. I asked for it, so I must get one.

I have mine in an old Oregon Scientific model.  Works great for the tower sensor.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »
Nice! Thanks for the heads up George!
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 11:21:17 PM »
Just bought one!  Looks better than my inverted plastic bowl!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 09:10:44 AM »
I haven't ordered just yet, but will soon. Let us know what you think Harold.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
I have one on the way! I will do some comparisons and let you know my results!
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
Acurite is putting some good products out  =D>
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline iaflyer

• My PWSS
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:36:24 PM »
Acurite is putting some good products out  =D>
I was in Lowe's today and there was a huge Acurite display. Everything from 14" round dials for temperature to the new 5-in-1 weather station. The display must of been 8 ft high and 10 ft wide.

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 12:19:18 AM »

I've had mine up for 2 days now.  I await your impression of it, as mine is less than favorable...  It has one job to do (Clearly outlined in the name of the product) and it doesn't seem to do it very well at all..
Ambient WS-5000 (KVACHEST93)

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 12:27:50 AM »
Mine arrived today.  I will put it up tomorrow and let you know what I think of it.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 12:30:14 AM »
I wonder if it may be too small. I seem to have good results with mine but mine looks a little larger than the Acurite model.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 01:03:32 AM »
After poking around for a little bit this evening and considering trying to build my own again (better looking than my first homemade one) I came across some solar powered small fans.  I ordered a couple and might just try to aspirate the AcuRite shield.  I like the size and the way it looks.  The order is shipping from China though (likely on the slowest boat possible), so don't expect an update on my progress for a few weeks. 

Offline SufferinSuccotash

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 08:14:25 AM »

I've had mine up for 2 days now.  I await your impression of it, as mine is less than favorable...  It has one job to do (Clearly outlined in the name of the product) and it doesn't seem to do it very well at all..

Hi A1.  Do you find that it still heats too much.?  And if so, how much does it decrease the temp by compared to temp from the 5in1?

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »
I plan on ordering one along with a tower sensor to compare with my 5-in-1. Very pleased with the 5-in-1 with the latest round of dual solar sensors that I got at the first of the year. Seems to be spot on for the most part!

Chris

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »
Hi A1.  Do you find that it still heats too much.?  And if so, how much does it decrease the temp by compared to temp from the 5in1?

I have a tower and the 5-in-1.  The 5-in-1 (about 30ft above ground) has better temperatures (close or equal to neighbors within 2 miles) overnight and into mid-morning.  At about 11AM local the temperature in it spikes up to 6 degrees warmer if it's a sunny day.  About 1.5 hours later the temperatures drop back down.  I've got a new dual panel unit (Ordered a couple weeks ago) to replace mine with (I bought the dual panels for it before I first put it up a couple years ago so it's one of the older units)  I think the reason for the spike is the fan stops turning when the sun is directly in front of the unit and not directly into either of the panels.

My tower sensor (different location in my yard)was in a homemade shield.  It gets direct sun from about 20 minutes after sunrise for about 30 minutes.  When it hit my homemade shield the temperature would rise about 2-3 degrees over the 5-in-1 but would stabilize back down and equal within a degree once back in the shade.  Overnight on the tower it was about 1.5 degrees warmer. 

Now with the AcuRite Solar Radiation shield on it I'm spiking about 6 degrees (in a matter of minutes) and then remaining warmer longer once the morning sun hits it and it's back in the shade again. Night time still is about 1.5 warmer, but I kind of expect that.  I'm just trying to deal with the direct sun on it for that 30 minute window in the morning.  Hopefully I can help this out with the small solar powered fan I ordered to draw the cool air up into and over the sensor.  The air is also usually quite calm in the morning, so no breeze to blow through the shield to help.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:30:04 PM by A1cntrler »

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
I put one of my towers in the shield this afternoon.  Two things:  the tower's temp is now very close to that of the 5in1 when the sun is shining but humidity is lower by 10%+ (consistently) and more closely matches other nearby stations on both WU and CWOP. As night came, the tower is a couple of degrees warmer than the 5in1 and is closer to other stations around me.  Using a Meteobridge, I'm reporting the tower's temp, humidity and dew point to WU and CWOP.  The 2nd thing I noticed is that signal strength dropped from 2 bars to 1 bar with the shield.  Don't know yet if this will be a problem, but I'm watching it.  I will continue to monitor the shielded tower and report back.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 09:36:58 PM »
Harold, try aiming the tower with it's side towards the Smarthub. I've found that this raises the signal some.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 10:56:22 PM »
The insides of a typical tower sensor for reference.  The antenna is at the top, not blocked either front or back.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 11:45:47 PM »
It's supposed to be omni-directional and it looks as though it is.  Even though it's only plastic, I think the shield might be blocking the signal a little bit.  So far, I haven't dropped off, though, even with only one bar showing.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 11:59:07 PM »
It's supposed to be omni-directional and it looks as though it is.  Even though it's only plastic, I think the shield might be blocking the signal a little bit.  So far, I haven't dropped off, though, even with only one bar showing.

Do you have it hanging from a metal hook or chain?  It's possible that might be "de-tuning" the antenna a bit.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 05:00:34 AM »
Nah, it's hanging from a string tied to a branch on my birch tree about 50' from the hub.  Same branch as before the shield, by the way.  It's about 9' off the ground.  Still have not lost signal even with only one bar. 

If you don't mind, please explain again how the range extender (which I have) works.

Offline SufferinSuccotash

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 08:24:06 AM »

I have a tower and the 5-in-1.  The 5-in-1 (about 30ft above ground) has better temperatures (close or equal to neighbors within 2 miles) overnight and into mid-morning.  At about 11AM local the temperature in it spikes up to 6 degrees warmer if it's a sunny day.  About 1.5 hours later the temperatures drop back down.  I've got a new dual panel unit (Ordered a couple weeks ago) to replace mine with (I bought the dual panels for it before I first put it up a couple years ago so it's one of the older units)  I think the reason for the spike is the fan stops turning when the sun is directly in front of the unit and not directly into either of the panels.

My tower sensor (different location in my yard)was in a homemade shield.  It gets direct sun from about 20 minutes after sunrise for about 30 minutes.  When it hit my homemade shield the temperature would rise about 2-3 degrees over the 5-in-1 but would stabilize back down and equal within a degree once back in the shade.  Overnight on the tower it was about 1.5 degrees warmer. 

Now with the AcuRite Solar Radiation shield on it I'm spiking about 6 degrees (in a matter of minutes) and then remaining warmer longer once the morning sun hits it and it's back in the shade again. Night time still is about 1.5 warmer, but I kind of expect that.  I'm just trying to deal with the direct sun on it for that 30 minute window in the morning.  Hopefully I can help this out with the small solar powered fan I ordered to draw the cool air up into and over the sensor.  The air is also usually quite calm in the morning, so no breeze to blow through the shield to help.

I can't really tell how well ventilated this new radiation shield is from the pics on the acurite site.  It seems that it is somewhat effective from the comments seen here.  I switched to using the temp/humidity data from a 3in1 as my official temp readings.  This allows for a much greater air flow around the sensor.   There is still some extra heating involved since the plastic does retain heat.  However anything short of a FARS IMHO will show higher temps.  I will hold off ordering this until I can see some more detailed pics of the design.

Thanks

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »
Nah, it's hanging from a string tied to a branch on my birch tree about 50' from the hub.  Same branch as before the shield, by the way.  It's about 9' off the ground.  Still have not lost signal even with only one bar. 

If you don't mind, please explain again how the range extender (which I have) works.

In a nutshell, it repeats the signals it hears, assuming the signals were present during the original scanning (If you turned off a sensor, it might be necessary to have the repeater re-scan... it locks onto sensors in the same time-based way the displays do).

As far as the SmartHUB goes, it operates on the first signal it can understand, so the repeated signal is likely ignored if the original signal is still in-range.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 09:34:02 AM »

I can't really tell how well ventilated this new radiation shield is from the pics on the acurite site.  It seems that it is somewhat effective from the comments seen here.  I switched to using the temp/humidity data from a 3in1 as my official temp readings.  This allows for a much greater air flow around the sensor.   There is still some extra heating involved since the plastic does retain heat.  However anything short of a FARS IMHO will show higher temps.  I will hold off ordering this until I can see some more detailed pics of the design.

Thanks

The shield is not as large as the Ambient weather model. In the case of sensor shields, larger is definitely better. I know, because I built a smaller version, and it was not near as effective as the current shield I am using, with large bowls, and painted glossy white. It does a very good job. If you can locate the acurite shield in partial shade, or aspirate it, that would probably be enough, but if you have it in the sun all day, like CWOP says, it may hold heat if you don't have a steady breeze.

Here are the ambient specs vs Acurite....

Outer Dimensions (WxLxH): 7.4" x 9.2" x 10.9"

Dimensions   7.5-inch Height x 5.375-inch Width x 4-inch Depth