Author Topic: Puzzler of the Day...  (Read 4426 times)

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
Puzzler of the Day...
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:53:42 AM »
So fellow Davis Instrument geeks... What is wrong with this picture?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
Re: Puzzler of the Day...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »
Well let me clarify... I probably should not say say "wrong" but rather sort of concerning...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:00:17 AM »
??, wrong box, Its not not on sale  :grin:
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »
We've had one from March, but that was a 6155 or 6164 station (can't remember which), which is a similar anomaly, but in a slightly different sense. Never did get an answer from Brett about that one.

BTW I never have understood the letters in the date codes on the ISS boxes - JT in your image. What's that all about - person who packed/checked it?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:08:18 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »
Systems with the old Temperature Humidity Sensor
·         Will have a manufacturing code of AR or earlier
Randy

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:17:49 AM »
The build date on this is June 9, 2016 which is given by the serial number AR160609034.  YET the SIM firmware is 2.0 which means that it has a SHT-11 instead of a SHT-31 installed also "AR" means systems with the SHT-11 chip, so far as I recall.  This was not a misprint, I checked the sensor and indeed it is SHT-11.

For months now I have been getting a solid supply of SIM firmware 2.5 wireless units for all pro2 flavors.  All of a sudden I get a batch of 6163 units with a new build date but reverted 2.0 SIM firmware.  I am wondering if they are having a supply problem with the SHT-31 chip  :shock:.  I think the general consensus is that most people are liking the SHT-31 changeover.

I have contacted Davis about this to see what is going on.  I will post here if I get a response.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »
Ryan this goes against their own bulletin and the new website specs published if they are putting SHT11's in new units.  Doesn't that reach some level of dishonesty if buyer researches Rainwise and Davis stations and decides the tighter spec SHT31 was the selling point and ends up with the much looser 11.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:34:41 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »
We've had one from March, but that was a 6155 or 6164 station (can't remember which), which is a similar anomaly, but in a slightly different sense. Never did get an answer from Brett about that one.

BTW I never have understood the letters in the date codes on the ISS boxes - JT in your image. What's that all about - person who packed/checked it?

I believe that the first two letters indicate some sort of version or hardware change.  As a change occurs they increment the two letter code such as AR -> AS was a change in the T/H sensor from SHT-11 to SHT-31 with a 2.0 to 2.5 SIM firmware update.  The next two characters indicate a two digit build year, then next two characters is the build month, followed by two characters for the build day.  My guess is that the last three digits indicate an increment build number for the day.  So for example in my photo the serial number is AR160609034 which means Build version "AR" built on June 9, 2016 and build number 34 of the day.

There is a another sticker on there indicating "JT 160615" which I believe is the initials of who packaged it and on what date it was packages.  So as you can see this was packaged less then 15 days ago.  I received it in my freight last Friday (June 24th).  Noticed the firmware reversion yesterday.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »
There is a another sticker on there indicating "JT 160615" which I believe is the initials of who packaged it and on what date it was packages.  So as you can see this was packaged less then 15 days ago.  I received it in my freight last Friday (June 24th).  Noticed the firmware reversion yesterday.

Yes, this is the bit I was querying. The Mfg Code  part is much more straightforward. Problem is that on some of the ISS-only boxes there's no Mfg Code on the label, only the packing label. So, without going to the trouble of opening it all up, there's no definitive way of knowing which revision the unit is (beyond having a guess from the date code).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:33 AM »

Yes, this is the bit I was querying. The Mfg Code  part is much more straightforward. Problem is that on some of the ISS-only boxes there's no Mfg Code on the label, only the packing label. So, without going to the trouble of opening it all up, there's no definitive way of knowing which revision the unit is (beyond having a guess from the date code).

Ah yes, right. I have noticed that as well.

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 10:45:19 AM »
Ryan this goes against their own bulletin and the new website specs published if they are putting SHT11's in new units.  Doesn't that reach some level of dishonesty if buyer researches Rainwise and Davis stations and decides the tighter spec SHT31 was the selling point and ends up with the much loser 11.

Well in their defense if they ran out of sht31's... well... I guess the show must go on and they must keep production going.  They probably still have tons of sht11 modules in stock.  Maybe this is a very very short term thing, perhaps they simply ran out for a few days.  The particular unit I took a picture of I have torn down for parts and I probably will do the same with the other unit I have on hand.

I anticipate that this is a very limited production hiccup, I hope to know an answer soon.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 10:47:52 AM »
Ryan this goes against their own bulletin and the new website specs published if they are putting SHT11's in new units.  Doesn't that reach some level of dishonesty if buyer researches Rainwise and Davis stations and decides the tighter spec SHT31 was the selling point and ends up with the much loser 11.

Well in their defense if they ran out of sht31's... well... I guess the show must go on and they must keep production going.  They probably still have tons of sht11 modules in stock.  Maybe this is a very very short term thing, perhaps they simply ran out for a few days.  The particular unit I took a picture of I have torn down for parts and I probably will do the same with the other unit I have on hand.

I anticipate that this is a very limited production hiccup, I hope to know an answer soon.

For those that may not know they have updated the specs for the outside temp/hum sht31 sensor. Here is the new pdf: http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6152_62_53_63_SS.pdf
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
It will be interesting to see what kind of reply you get, i would be very upset if i got a unit that did not meet the specs that i thought i was buying. Sort of makes the dealers look bad.

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 01:03:40 PM »
It will be interesting to see what kind of reply you get, i would be very upset if i got a unit that did not meet the specs that i thought i was buying. Sort of makes the dealers look bad.

That is exactly what I am worried about. It makes it look like we are selling old stock when that truly is not the case, these are literally "hot off the press".  I try to be as straight forward as possible and this puts a moral dilemma on my lap.  I deconstructed the unit I have in the picture for parts and will be doing the same for the other one I received as well.  I just hope that my next freight order they are back to sht31.  :???:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 02:54:23 PM »

That is exactly what I am worried about. It makes it look like we are selling old stock when that truly is not the case, these are literally "hot off the press".  I try to be as straight forward as possible and this puts a moral dilemma on my lap.  I deconstructed the unit I have in the picture for parts and will be doing the same for the other one I received as well.  I just hope that my next freight order they are back to sht31.  :???:

Why I always recommend going through scaled Instruments. Fair prices, great support and no surprises.
How many other dealers would never mention they were not getting the latest.
This really surprises me Davis would do this. I would rather see a declaration of some kind saying these units are last years technology and include a healthy discount or option to upgrade sensor and transmitter.
Randy

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 03:30:51 PM »

Why I always recommend going through scaled Instruments. Fair prices, great support and no surprises.
How many other dealers would never mention they were not getting the latest.
This really surprises me Davis would do this. I would rather see a declaration of some kind saying these units are last years technology and include a healthy discount or option to upgrade sensor and transmitter.

I received a response from Bruce Johnson @ Davis.  He said this was the first he heard of this.  He was kind enough to pass this up the chain of command for knowledge and input.  I hope to know something soon.  I also hope that this was just a very brief anomaly in the production chain.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 03:35:29 PM »
May be putting the cart before the horse here, but if they're shipping "new" units out with 31 specs then giving you an inferior product, I see a real headache for Davis as this is obvious misrepresentation. Many if not all buyers would be clueless of this unless they live on this forum as we do. I truly hope this is an honest mix-up and Davis comes clean, if warranted. I'm quite sure they read this forum too.

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 08:25:58 PM »
Still waiting for an answer from Davis.  ;)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 08:37:26 PM »
Still waiting for an answer from Davis.  ;)
Hmmm....

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
Just an update to the old thread, i was talking with Ryan today and Davis is still shipping the new units with the older sensors, seems strange that he can buy the new sensors separately but they are not in the new units.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »
In other words a nasty way of getting rid of old stock...

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
Definitely NOT trying to defend DAVIS™, *but* if their literature & specifications have NOT been updated with the SHT31 characteristics, then DAVIS is NOT defrauding/mis-representing their product. If anything, they're been OVER delivering, ie: better/newer product than the old specifications declare.

However, the obverse situation would definitely be a BAD "egg-on-the-face" situation!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:35:31 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 02:37:57 PM »
Yes, I sort of agree it is "ok", but on the other hand it is a bit strange that you still ship some outdated parts for which you already sell newer versions separately.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 02:50:08 PM »
...as already stated above, probably: "...stock shortage..." to clear inventory.

Which all points (in my mind) toward DAVIS™ possibly moving on to a new or different sensor. New as in new product, or different as in same h/w with newer sensor, etc.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 02:52:47 PM »
In other words a nasty way of getting rid of old stock...

Well old stock is money just sitting on the shelf, if you look at it from a financial standpoint. Davis should have at least released a statement (if they ran out of 31's) to say they would be shipping older sensors in new units to inform their customers. I think that would have made everyone "happy" or at the very least informed of what was going on. Would have been in good taste. I, for one, would have been pissed to know I got an old sensor while previous shipments had included new ones.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

anything