Author Topic: Vantage Vue Console logger pinout  (Read 159967 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Vantage Vue Console logger pinout
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »
You are essentially taking the serial output of the Davis console and converting it to WiFi, where it will appear as a virtual COM port anywhere within WiFi range. Correct? ... and all you need (in addition to serial output) is a little serial2wifi box, having a cost on the order of $100 US. Right?
Yes that would be the proposition. I'm not specially promoting this as a solution, more just wanting to clarify that once you have serial output from the console pins then - given the universality of serial data links - there are a whole bunch of different ways of getting the data to a PC, from a simple cable to various wireless options. XBee is one wireless option but there are others and all with pros/cons.

The only 'caveat' that I see is that you'll need some kind of serial output from your Davis console. So that would require:
...2. A DeKay-style, USB2COM interface. But that's not standard RS-232, so an additional "level-shifter" might be required, depending on the wifi box specs.

This is kind of at the boundary of what I readily know about, but yes I'm sure you're right although there seem to be some pretty cheap interface circuits available.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:09:00 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline af4ex

• Palm Bay, Florida (EL98PA)
    • Willard Road Weather
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
Another and maybe the cheapest solution , if you do not care about the data logger and want serial out, is to mount and wire an RJ11 or RJ45 female chassis connector to the data logger access panel door. Wire the connector to a header and connect it to the pins. According the data logger manual the max distance is 48 feet of 4 conductor serial cable . Run your cable to a remote computing device with the proper male connectors at both ends. Attach a RJ11 or RJ45 to DB9 adapter (properly wired) and you should be good to go. If you do not have serial port use serial to USB adapter.

Of course, if I got this all wrong and there needs to be conversion of the raw data from the pins before interfacing with a serial port on a computing device, we may need to through in a conversion circuit with a MAX232 or similar IC.

Dave

DeKay can probably answer this more authoritatively than I, but you won't have a 'standard' serial signal. Still need the DeKay or the MAX233 interface to convert to USB or RS-232, respectively.
 :-|
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:14:42 PM by af4ex »
WX STATION: Davis Vantage VUE, Model 6250 (with homebrew wireless (XBee) serial interface)
APRS/CWOP/NWS: AF4EX/AU006 (over noam.aprs2.net)
SOFTWARE: weeWX, APRSISCE
http://www.qsl.net/af4ex/wx
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=AF4EX

Offline af4ex

• Willard Road Weather
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
Not to change the subject, but do you think a Max233 adapter work with the appropriate connectors attached to it as a serial output connection? More specifically the A232DBH3v version offered as a fully assembled unit with hood kit for $20 here: http://www.compsys1.com/workbench/On_top_of_the_Bench/Max233_Adapter/max233_adapter.html  I've previously used these as console interfaces for DSL modems.

I've never used these, but I think they're the standard for "level-shifting" 3/5 volt logic to RS-232 (two-way). So, yes, add that to DeKay's FTDI design (3v logic) and then I believe you will have a real, wired "RS-232" interface for less than $50, comparable to WeatherLink, but without the fancy logger of course.

I'll add it to the table.
John/af4ex
Oops, just remembered that DeKay is making USB signals, so your idea is different, making RS-232. But you'll have to figure out a way to connect to that 20-pin socket in the console (see page 1 of this post for the way I did it, sort of a "kluge", but it works).

Amended the table on page 4 (reply #94)
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10721.msg106400#msg106400
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:06:38 PM by af4ex »
WX STATION: Davis Vantage VUE, Model 6250 (with homebrew wireless (XBee) serial interface)

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2011, 12:36:42 AM »
Another and maybe the cheapest solution , if you do not care about the data logger and want serial out, is to mount and wire an RJ11 or RJ45 female chassis connector to the data logger access panel door. Wire the connector to a header and connect it to the pins. According the data logger manual the max distance is 48 feet of 4 conductor serial cable . Run your cable to a remote computing device with the proper male connectors at both ends. Attach a RJ11 or RJ45 to DB9 adapter (properly wired) and you should be good to go. If you do not have serial port use serial to USB adapter.

Of course, if I got this all wrong and there needs to be conversion of the raw data from the pins before interfacing with a serial port on a computing device, we may need to through in a conversion circuit with a MAX232 or similar IC.

Dave

Yes, you do have it wrong.  There needs to be a level conversion from the LVTTL 0-3.3V levels on the console to the serial port on a standard PC.  Not doing this would likely fry the console's processor.  A MAX232 is a 5V device so that won't work either: you'd need a 3.3V powered variant (of which, of course, there are many).  If it were me and I wanted to go the serial route, I'd give one of these powered off 3.3V a shot, as discussed on the long running comments section of my blog.  For $6.95 (!!!), you can't go wrong in trying.  This is your new low cost champion right here, assuming you don't get a little extreme and DIY yourself a USB to serial cable for three dollars.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »
Yup. as of this afternoon, I can say that A232DBH3V works as an RS-232 interface for the VP2 console.

As far as the "appropriate connectors" go, I found some 2mm 20 pin solder tail/PC mount female connectors at Digi-Key which work fine. Because of the Davis socket design, I don't believe an IDC connector would work.

FWIW, the connectors I found don't have the keying projections that the Davis connector/socket use.

Now to figure out a PC board for the connector, cable, and a handle to insert/remove it.

Thanks to dekay for the background work and d_l for the A232DBH3v tip...

Not to change the subject, but do you think a Max233 adapter work with the appropriate connectors attached to it as a serial output connection? More specifically the A232DBH3v version offered as a fully assembled unit with hood kit for $20 here: http://www.compsys1.com/workbench/On_top_of_the_Bench/Max233_Adapter/max233_adapter.html  I've previously used these as console interfaces for DSL modems.

Offline af4ex

• Willard Road Weather
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »
@SLOweather
> ...  I can say that A232DBH3V works as an RS-232 interface for the VP2 console.

Which means it should also work in the VUE console. Thanks for validating that, I have updated the "homebrew serial solutions" table on page 4 with this information:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10721.msg106400#msg106400

Can you provide a link for that Digikey "2mm 20 pin solder tail/PC mount female connector" part?

Offline lobolobo

« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »
Hi, af4ex,

could you tell me how to configure the XBEE connected to the Davis and the one connected to the PC?

I´m trying to use X-CTU but i don´t know how to configure both XBEEs.

X-CTU: Whenn i push the buttom "Read" X-CTU says that is XB24.ZB and un the function set says: "ZIGBEE ROUTER AT"

Both XBEEs are configured to 19200 baud.

Range test give me always errors (Time out waiting for data)

Thank´s in advance.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:05:40 PM by lobolobo »

Offline af4ex

• Willard Road Weather
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2011, 02:16:31 PM »
Hi, af4ex,

could you tell me how to configure the XBEE connected to the Davis and the one connected to the PC?

I´m trying to use X-CTU but i don´t know how to configure both XBEEs.

X-CTU: Whenn i push the buttom "Read" X-CTU says that is XB24.ZB and un the function set says: "ZIGBEE ROUTER AT"

Both XBEEs are configured to 19200 baud.

Range test give me always errors (Time out waiting for data)

Thank´s in advance.

Hi LoboLobo,

How are you connecting to the Davis side? Actually the wiring configuration doesn't make much difference, it's all the same logic, so I'll assume you're using the 'SpartanWX' idea, using an RS-232 dongle attached to WeatherLink.

Also will assume you have already configured both XBee's to talk at 19200 baud (since they are set to 9600 baud by default), which means you've figured out the '+++' sequence to put the XBee into terminal mode and then set the baud with 'ATBD 4' followed by 'ATWR' to write the new setting to each XBee (in turn of course). [If not, then follow the link to the Instructables guide back on page 2 of this post]

I'll also assume you were able to load the appropriate drivers, if you've already run the X-CTU utilitity successfully. If not, follow the link on page 2 to the Digi drivers download. (Installing the drivers is a little confusing because they don't tell you exactly which directory has the correct driver. It's FTDI-VCP, because you're just setting up a Virtual Com Port, not a custom USB application etc]

So, I think you're almost ready to go. No need to run the 'range test', which requires you to setup the remote XBee with a 'loopback' (input connected to output) and observe the performance at different ranges (using a laptop etc). Just plug in one of the 19.2K XBee's into the Davis dongle (making sure it has power).

If you want to get an idea of signal strength, you can use the 'ATDB' command to fetch the instantaneous signal strength. So you perform a crude range test by just issuing an ATDB command while moving the sensors apart or closer together. (You'll need to have the Davis side running of course, while you're this test.

BTW, the 'ATDB' and 'ATBD' commands are easily confused. I thought one of my XBee's was bad because it wouldn't return '4' after setting 'ATDB 4'.  Then I realized that I had used the wrong command  ](*,) Easy way to remember 'BD' -> BauD  'DB' ->DeciBel. Drrr.

Then, after plugging the 'readymade' dongle (SparkFun 'USB explorer' or equivalent) into the PC side,  and runnning your weather software everything should start working. You'll have to reconfigure the serial port # (COM4 etc). Should be the same one you used for X-CTU (unless you've added some more serial stuff in the meantime).

Your weather station then should start talking to your software 'automagically' and wirelessly! It's really cool, you won't believe how simple it is.
 8-)

Offline lobolobo

« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »
atdb says 0

atbd is correct (4 = 19.2K baud)

Nothing happens. Cumulus couldn´t read nothing. Give me an error that says it couldn´t initialize the station. Cumulus run perfectly wuit the FTDI interface via USB but not with the XBEE´s  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Offline af4ex

• Willard Road Weather
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »
FYI, I've had my homebrew wireless XBee running almost continuously since the first week of March. Here is my entire weather 'lifetime', all three weeks of it (sending my data to APRS/CWOP):
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=AF4EX&last=720

Started with WuHu, switched over to Cumulus around March 12, which caused a big glitch because it handled computer "standby" differently. Also had WiFi problems (so had to switch computers). Had a cable modem failure (no Internet) and replacement. Switched back and forth between XBee wireless and DeKay wired mode a few times (to allow some XBee testing)

But through it all, these homebrew serial interfaces (wired and wireless) performed flawlessly. Never had a single glitch caused by the interface.
 :grin:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:48:13 PM by af4ex »

Offline af4ex

• Willard Road Weather
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »
atdb says 0

atbd is correct (4 = 19.2K baud)

Nothing happens. Cumulus couldn´t read nothing. Give me an error that says it couldn´t initialize the station. Cumulus run perfectly wuit the FTDI interface via USB but not with the XBEE´s  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Are you using the correct COM port #? It might have changed between wired and wireless.

Go back and run the X-CTU utility again, with both dongles running. Put the utiltity into terminal mode (with +++). You should see the data streaming in from the console. Make sure you're using that same COM# in Cumulus.

How far apart are the units? Which homebrew interface are you using on the Davis side?
:-|
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:47:48 PM by af4ex »

Offline lobolobo

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
No good news. I tried everything you said but nothing. Check connections. Every thing seems OK ... #-o #-o but nothing ...

Offline af4ex

• Willard Road Weather
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
No good news. I tried everything you said but nothing. Check connections. Every thing seems OK ... #-o #-o but nothing ...

What is your interface on the Davis side? Are you using the design from page 2? Did you use heat-shrink wrapping on the wires? If you have a voltmeter make sure the 3volts is getting to the XBee.

The most likely problem (if you're using the page 2 design) is that you're not connecting reliably to the 20-pin socket. (Remember I said it was a 'kluge', but it does work if you're careful about the construction and installation).
Recheck the wiring.

The XBee's seem to be very robust. I plugged both of them backwards on my first attempt (right after my eye surgery) and they survived!  :roll:

A more rellable connector can be constructed, using the Samtec part I mentioned. Also, SLOweather has found a part that seems to work. Waiting for him to respond on exactly which Digikey part he used (I couldn't find it using the nomenclature he had in his post).

Don't give up. You'll get it working eventually. (And perhaps learn more about circuit construction and troubleshooting than you anticipated).

Offline lobolobo

« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »

What is your interface on the Davis side? Are you using the design from page 2? Did you use heat-shrink wrapping on the wires? If you have a voltmeter make sure the 3volts is getting to the XBee.

The most likely problem (if you're using the page 2 design) is that you're not connecting reliably to the 20-pin socket. (Remember I said it was a 'kluge', but it does work if you're careful about the construction and installation).
Recheck the wiring.

The XBee's seem to be very robust. I plugged both of them backwards on my first attempt (right after my eye surgery) and they survived!  :roll:

A more rellable connector can be constructed, using the Samtec part I mentioned. Also, SLOweather has found a part that seems to work. Waiting for him to respond on exactly which Digikey part he used (I couldn't find it using the nomenclature he had in his post).

Don't give up. You'll get it working eventually. (And perhaps learn more about circuit construction and troubleshooting than you anticipated).

I think everything you comment is correct in my system. Everything is the same. Both XBEE responds correct if i put them in the SPARKFUN USB EXPLORER.

3 VOlts to XBEE correct.
Heat-shrink wrapping on the wires
The wires are the same for the serial cable version and its OK but when i connect the XBEE nothing happens, they don´t see one to each other.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:25:33 PM by lobolobo »

Offline af4ex

• Willard Road Weather
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »

Recheck the wiring.

The XBee's seem to be very robust. I plugged both of them backwards on my first attempt (right after my eye surgery) and they survived!  :roll:

I think everything you comment is correct in my system. Everything is the same. Both XBEE responds correct if i put them in the SPARKFUN USB EXPLORER.

3 VOlts to XBEE correct.
Heat-shrink wrapping on the wires
The wires are the same for the serial cable version and its OK but when i connect the XBEE nothing happens, they don´t see one to each other.

Ok, it still sounds like a connection problem to me. Perform a continuity check on all the wires from pin to pin. Use a big magnifier (unless you have really good eyes) to insure that the sockets are reliably connected to the bottom connector. Also make sure that the sockets stay connected after you put the lid back on. I used some paper toweling as padding to hold the connections in place securely.

If all else fails, you can mail your connector to me and I'll check it out for you. (Just the cable, not the XBee's or dongle boards.) It should only weigh a few grams, so shouldn't cost much to send in a small envelope.

John/af4ex

Offline lobolobo

« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
Very appreciated. I´ll try to check everything one more time and i´ll tell you the results.  #-o

:grin:

Offline lobolobo

« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »
GOOD NEWS!!!!!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

No problem with the assembly. Everything was OK. No problem with connections, with bad soldering ... nothing.

The problem was the XBEE configuration. I purchased a XBEE Series 2 (ZB) and when i configured the XBEE in the USB EXPLORER (PC SIDE) as a COORDINATOR AT everything comes OK!!!!!  :grin: 8-)

So one "XBEER" more transmiting from the Davis (VP 1) to my computers via XBEE using Cumulus.  \:D/ \:D/

Offline af4ex

• Willard Road Weather
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »
@lobolobo
> GOOD NEWS!!!!!   
> No problem with the assembly. Everything was OK.
> No problem with connections, with bad soldering ... nothing.

Well done! Welcome to the Davis Homebrew Serial Interface Club!  =D>  =D> =D>

Offline lobolobo

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
The truth is that I would not have done it without your and DeKay´s help. Thank you very much both of you men.
  =D> =D> =D>
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:36:47 PM by lobolobo »

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
Nice going SLOweather and lobolobo.  Spread the word.  And a tip of the hat to af4ex for outstanding technical support.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »

Can you provide a link for that Digikey "2mm 20 pin solder tail/PC mount female connector" part?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=952-1361-5-nd

I bought 20.

Offline af4ex

• Willard Road Weather
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=952-1361-5-nd

I bought 20.

Excellent.

Do the solder pins protrude above the console casing when plugged in, such that they could be attached to a printed circuit board (for making a "custom dongle")?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »

Do the solder pins protrude above the console casing when plugged in, such that they could be attached to a printed circuit board (for making a "custom dongle")?

Yup. Been working on that. ExpressPCB doesn't seem to have a premade 2mm connector component. I guess I'll have to make one.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:08:44 PM by SLOweather »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »
FWIW, here's the alpha rev. proof-of-concept AD232DB to 2mm connector Davis serial adapter.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2011, 12:08:56 PM »
Okay... now for the "Dummies 101" question.

Is this a way to have your Davis Pro2 console and USB logger in one room and transmit the data to your PC in another room without a physical connection?
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

anything