Author Topic: WL data export - wind directionality  (Read 578 times)

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
WL data export - wind directionality
« on: July 05, 2019, 02:15:47 PM »
Morning folks.

Right now we have a script that goes to Weatherlink.com and scrape all the information we want. That works great most of the time, though sometimes we have a gap due to something broken somewhere. My question pertains to what I try to do to back fill the data via manual generation from the weatherlink software.

I tried the browse and export, and the wind-related columns are:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

None of them actually gives a degree direction.

I tried the other report-making options (NOAA daily, etc) but none of them produces wind direction in degree, even though the historical trend suggest that they are being logged. Any ideas? I'd like to have our database continuous and not having to convert and snap the wind direction to the closest (NNW/WNW/etc).

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WL data export - wind directionality
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 05:00:37 PM »
Local Weatherlink only logs direction in a single byte AFAICR so it can't store degree resolution data. Instead it stores 0-15 and 255. Other software can handle things differently.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 05:53:56 PM »
Wind direction resolution my be to the nearest Degree but only logs the dominant direction based on the most counters in one of the 16 wind direction buckets (22.5°) over the archive interval.

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
Humm

Thanks for the info. I went back and stared at it some more - sure enough, once I took out all the other wind variable, the data is really not that granular.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I guess there's no going back and back filling it properly then.  :-(

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »
For most purposes the 16 compass (22.5°) points are practical and in line with most meteorological reporting by official agencies. As you log a 15 minute archive then quite a lot of variation could exist over that time frame which would make a lesser direction resolution a little meaningless.