Author Topic: 6152/wifilogger & Rainbird integration  (Read 1006 times)

Offline twofus

6152/wifilogger & Rainbird integration
« on: May 24, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »
I have typical Rainbird sprinkler controller, a Davis 6152 with a wifilogger, and need to control the Rainbird on/off based on rain and wind events. Since I'm using the wifilogger, my console port is taken so the 6560 sensor is a no-go. Since the Rainbird accepts a simple alarm state (on/off) I'm hoping someone has put a simple receiver solution together.

Or, maybe someone has a different solution? Thanks for any counsel.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: 6152/wifilogger & Rainbird integration
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 03:36:03 PM »
The only solution I can see is if the wifilogger integrates it but other than that been that your serial port is taken the old rainbird stations are well not that smart lol... That's why I moved to a Rainmachine. I can integrate both without an issue.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline twofus

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »
thanks tx - I'll check them out.

Offline twofus

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »
tx - let me ask you, can you select your own weather underground station in the Rainmachine or are you limited to a zip code type setup?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »
I can select my own weather station and if your don't like wunderground you can point it to your own clientraw file and done.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 03:54:01 PM »
This is interesting. I am in.
WiFiLogger module has free GPIO. If you know how to solder I can programm GPIO for this purpose.
I just need some more explanation, wires, etc.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 04:02:53 PM »
Ha! That is awesome WiFiLogger!!!!

----

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »
There was a time, I have made a post here and asking if anybody will need Siemens LOGO to combine with VP2.
This is exactly for this purpose, but Siemens cost money. There was in my life situations, when Siemens LOGO was like for free. But for some purpose it is very expensive. For garden irrigation it is expensive, unless you won't start with LOGO and own program. Siemens LOGO instead of lawn controler.

Anyway this is not very big problem to use GPIO from WiFiLogger to control irrigation.
I will need info which data and when. Also I could read alarms from console and make this GPIO connected with alarm.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »
If you were around for 2014 with this idea I would of have done it for you. But I found the rainmachine and out I went with my rain bird... Actually to be exact my first smart irrigation controller was the Irrigation Cady but that didn't last long as it was limited and the competition over ran them. That's when I found rainmachine. All this because back than I owned a Vue and didn't have the serial option. :)

----

Offline twofus

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »

I'm still digging but here's what I found --

Here is the "alpha" wifilogger parser for Rainmachine: https://github.com/sprinkler/rainmachine-developer-resources/blob/master/sdk-parsers/RMParserFramework/parsers/wifilogger-parser.py

Here is the latest Weatherlink parser (shown for review purposes only): https://support.rainmachine.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360027368853-weatherlinkip-parser-not-loading-at-startup

The Rainmachine Romanian team seems to be the group doing most of the coding.

Currently weather underground calls from the Rainmachine only every six hours, even if calling your own weather station. That's worthless. Coding suggests that can be trimmed to 1 hour as the Rainmachine has hard coded that to be the lowest interval.

The Rainmachine does have a REST API  - here is their API docs (really documented well)
https://rainmachine.docs.apiary.io/#

-------

As for Rainbird integration wifilogger, I have to plead ignorance. I looked for docs and came up empty but didn't really dig. Once I saw the Rainmachine product I quickly realized Rainbird is about obsolete. Might be better to integrate with Rainmachine since they are weather station friendly?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »
It is 5 years already.
If I could known numbers, 5 hours before lottery. I would be in other place right now :)

There is no yesterday, there's no tomorrow. Life is now.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 04:39:18 PM »
Here is the "alpha" wifilogger parser for Rainmachine: https://github.com/sprinkler/rainmachine-developer-resources/blob/master/sdk-parsers/RMParserFramework/parsers/wifilogger-parser.py

Good to know. I have to contact with them. I am making changes in firmware quite offten, so if they use this file, I have to FIX it.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 05:22:16 PM »
Sorry for butting in in this Rainbird thread.  I have Hydrawise...  can this work?

Enjoy,
Paul 

Offline twofus

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »
Good to know. I have to contact with them. I am making changes in firmware quite offten, so if they use this file, I have to FIX it.

:grin:

Offline twofus

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
Sorry for butting in in this Rainbird thread.  I have Hydrawise...  can this work?

Enjoy,
Paul

Good product but only with Hunter controllers and valves, right?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 05:33:40 PM »
twofus,

Use the clientraw option which parses faster and uses your own data directly. is what I use and works perfectly! and the rest api is amazing! Works well!

----

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
The only solution I can see is if the wifilogger integrates it but other than that been that your serial port is taken the old rainbird stations are well not that smart lol... That's why I moved to a Rainmachine. I can integrate both without an issue.

+1 on the RainMachine. I pair it up with my Weather Underground page and it uses your data to come up with the watering algorithm. For example, this morning, instead of the six minute program per area, it only did 3 minutes, 45 seconds due to the rain we had last week. On days it rains more than a trace, it will not water and you'll get the message "Did not start due to water surplus."
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline twofus

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »
twofus,

Use the clientraw option which parses faster and uses your own data directly. is what I use and works perfectly! and the rest api is amazing! Works well!

I don't use weewx or weatherflow (I'm assuming you are just parsing the clientraw.txt from weewx). Nor do I have a webserver on my local network but I guess I could run one pretty easily. Seems a lot easier to parse the wflexp.json from wifilogger locally?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 07:02:58 PM »
twofus,

I don't use weewx or weatherflow (I'm assuming you are just parsing the clientraw.txt from weewx). Nor do I have a webserver on my local network but I guess I could run one pretty easily. Seems a lot easier to parse the wflexp.json from wifilogger locally?

WiFiLogger has the capability to upload clientraw style weather data. So you could upload locally to one of your system and setup a small http server to just host that file... If you use windows there is single executable that can host one file. If you use Linux or Mac Apache will do... Mac can use an executable also to run one file for you.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:23:56 AM by txweather.org »

----

Offline twofus

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 01:34:51 AM »
Good to know. I have to contact with them. I am making changes in firmware quite often, so if they use this file, I have to FIX it.

wifilogger - I'm willing to alpha test a parser for the RainMachine if you happen to attempt the fix.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
twofus, Any updates on your project?

----

Offline twofus

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 03:48:57 PM »
Tx, current injesting data from the Davis Pro2 into the RainMachine and working on building additions to the API. Should be in alpha stage here in a few weeks.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 03:57:28 PM »
Tx, current injesting data from the Davis Pro2 into the RainMachine and working on building additions to the API. Should be in alpha stage here in a few weeks.

Wooha! That is awesome! Let me know what you are doing/using I will be more than glad to test! Are you using a WifiLogger? I dont own a WiFiLogger but I am entraining the idea of getting one for my Vue. Right now I use Meteobridge Nano SD/Meteobridge MR3020/Meteohub/Davis USB Data Logger.

----

Offline twofus

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
yes, using wifilogger. We are building this out a little bigger than the intended use - we'll see how it goes and let everyone know. I'm still waiting to hear if wifilogger is going to rewrite the wflexp.json parser. He suggested he may look at it.

anything