Author Topic: Confused about loggers  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Ugly Duckling

• Senior Contributor
  • __Darlin' Jill__
    • Maplewood - Omaha, NE
Confused about loggers
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »
Do I understanding loggers correctly? If I want data to be sent online when computer is off do I need to purchase WeatherLinkIP? Is this the difference between Weatherlink and WeatherLinkIP. WeatherLink stores data when computer is off but doesn't send it online until computer is turned on? WeatherLinkIP both stores data and sends it online when computer is off?

Thanks,

Marci Anna

Davis Vantage Vue

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Confused about loggers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
Do I understanding loggers correctly? If I want data to be sent online when computer is off do I need to purchase WeatherLinkIP? Is this the difference between Weatherlink and WeatherLinkIP. WeatherLink stores data when computer is off but doesn't send it online until computer is turned on? WeatherLinkIP both stores data and sends it online when computer is off?

Thanks,

Marci Anna

The datalogger processes and stores the data from the console/sensors.

In the case of serial/usb datalogger, it sends data to the computer, and the computer sends the data on to the internet (that's why the computer stays on 24/7).  Or if the computer is turned off, the datalogger updates the computer when it is turned back on, and the computer may or may not update the internet with the stored data (that depends on the software and where you're sending it to).

In the case of the IP datalogger, it sends data to a 24/7 router or other internet connection and sends info to the internet all the time.  I think it can also connect to a computer, but it would not necessarily send data to the internet from the computer.

(I think I've said that right)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
http://www.weatherlink.com/

And these days there is no reason not to have a small netbook or similar on 24/7.  Or at least have the netbook wake up periodically to upload.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »
You aren't 'confused about loggers'.
I have a 4-port wired router.  One port is the WLIP plugged in.  One port is my wx computer plugged in.  I'm running VWS on the wx computer which gets the wx data from the IP address of the router WLIP port.  Two other computers use the remaining router ports.

From the manual, "Once you have connected the WeatherLinkIP data logger to your broadband router or switch, the data logger starts uploading your current weather information to the web server.  To access your weather information over the internet:"  ------ create an account at weatherlink.com
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:37:45 PM »
All of the above are correct.  Just to be sure you're clear, let me give the simplified version (using "available" parts):

1.  If you want data to be stored, you must purchase a logger.  [Otherwise, the console only keeps a few highs and lows]

2.  If you want data to be uploaded to a few sites that you don't own (WeatherLink.com, etc.), and you don't want a computer running 24/7, then get the WeatherLinkIP logger.

3.  If you want data to be uploaded to a site that you own, you must have a computer running 24/7, as well as one of the three available loggers.

[That's a very simplified view - but essentially accurate]

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
Clarification on #3:  You can periodically upload the data for 24/7 operation is not needed.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
Clarification on #3:  You can periodically upload the data for 24/7 operation is not needed.

3.  If you want data to be uploaded to a site that you own, you must have a computer running whenever you want to upload the data, as well as one of the three available loggers

That's one of the almost-innumerable clarifications that could be made to my simplified explanation.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »
Sorry for being pedantic, but I think it is useful when considered in light of the fact that most folks log on a specific interval and then report on it.  IOW if you log hourly you could  upload hourly.  Plus for some reason some folks seem to be averse to keeping a machine on 24/7 and the  periodic upload  is useful.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
Sorry for being pedantic, but I think it is useful when considered in light of the fact that most folks log on a specific interval and then report on it.  IOW if you log hourly you could  upload hourly.  Plus for some reason some folks seem to be averse to keeping a machine on 24/7 and the  periodic upload  is useful.

Oh, I don't object.  The problem is that a completely-accurate description of the situation takes (by my estimate):
About 2.5 printed pages if you only talk about Davis capabilities;
Another 4 pages if you also include non-Davis software - including possible interactions with WeatherLinkIP;
Another page or so if you include non-Davis IP hardware and associated loggers;
And several pages if the work on interface solutions that don't use a Davis logger is included.

And it's rather unlikely that a "beginner" knows what questions to ask, or even exactly what he/she wants to accomplish.  Much less what he/she might want to accomplish in the future (which can be affected by today's choices).

So, I tried to construct a "minimalist" description of the essential principles, knowing that it's incomplete, but perhaps useful to begin a discussion.  A more simplified version of item 3 that may be satisfactory:

3.  If you want data to be uploaded 24/7 to a site that you own, you must have a computer running 24/7, as well as one of the three available loggers.

Footnote: I think I disagree with your "hourly" example.  I think that most folks who upload to their own weather site, are interested in having their thousands of friends and neighbors be able to see the absolutely current weather at their house.  As witness, I offer the "rapid fire" capability - technically not someone's personal weather site, but it sure looks like it, and the "desire" is similar.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:33:20 PM by dalecoy »

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
I agree with your comment in the footnote above.  I'd resisted 'rapid fire' for a long time thinking that frequent updates aren't necessary.  Listening to comments from my web site viewers; it seems to give them confidence in the web site wx data.  That it is current data being displayed.
Rapid fire seems to be giving the viewers their own weather station on their screen. 
PS.  I'm an old electronics technician.  I prefer to leave electronics on and not turn on/off.  I have a 10+ year old HP Pavilion 950 that never gets a rest.  It has never been intentionally turned off.  Its down time has been due to HD failure and 2 power supply failures.  Its longevity is due to not cycling on/off.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 08:05:34 PM »
...  I'd resisted 'rapid fire' for a long time thinking that frequent updates aren't necessary. 

Way off-topic, but what's new with that here?  I'm still resisting rapid fire, and I think there's a good reason that the "non-rapid-fire" option is called "normal".

...  Listening to comments from my web site viewers; it seems to give them confidence in the web site wx data.  That it is current data being displayed.
Rapid fire seems to be giving the viewers their own weather station on their screen. 

..."their own weather station" ---- but at your house, not at their location. 

Yep, I do understand that - it's just another thing that's "interesting" about weather data.

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
I think there's a good reason that the "non-rapid-fire" option is called "normal".

Perhaps they should call it "abnormal", since almost all of the PWS stations here are now Rapid Fire.  Most of the exceptions appear to be in areas that probably don't have broadband service.

Definitely agree about leaving electronics on.  My weather PC has been running non-stop for over 6 years.  I replaced a power supply not long after I got it, and haven't had any hardware issues since.  <Reaches for head to knock on>

I should mention "datalogger" to keep this thread on track.  So, datalogger.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »
Perhaps they should call it "abnormal", since almost all of the PWS stations here are now Rapid Fire.  Most of the exceptions appear to be in areas that probably don't have broadband service.

I should mention "datalogger" to keep this thread on track.  So, datalogger.

Speaking of dataloggers, not having broadband is not really a deterrent to rapidfire.  I had my three stations uploading rapidfire for a while.  It's just a few 0s and 1s every few seconds.  But lately I've had my computer doing other tasks, plus the fact that two of the stations' update rates are very slow, so I disabled the rapidfire to free up capacity in the modem. (I need all the capacity I can get at 26.4 kbs!)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 09:03:32 PM »
That is my issue as well - speed.  Until WiMax goes in later.  And I too have lots of neighbours from away that would be happy with hourly updates. 

In any case I would hate to discourage someone with broadband from leaving a netbook on 24/7 so the alternative is to pick a realistic period for him/her and go with that.