Author Topic: Streaming NOAA on website?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
Streaming NOAA on website?
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:46 AM »
Since Wunderground doesn't do this anymore from what I checked where can I get streams from Bloomington, IN NOAA weather radio?

Thanks
Mike
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Streaming NOAA on website?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
We're pulling streams together, bunch of us, at
http://noaaweatherradio.org
...still developing...
get your stream fired up and join us..

Mike

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:47:20 AM »
We're pulling streams together, bunch of us, at
http://noaaweatherradio.org
...still developing...
get your stream fired up and join us..

Mike

I dont have a weather radio that allows me to stream otherwise i would
Mike K.
Gosport, Indiana

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »
I have no reception in my basement that's why I can't.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 01:10:27 AM »
I have mine running off an old police scanner antenna on top of a 30' tower.   ;)

I've been thinking though of trying an attic mount.  Even with the tower and coax grounding I have in place it makes me nervous during storms and after 30 years my number will be up one of these times and it will take a lightning hit.  My signal off a built in telescopic antenna is pretty noisy at times depending on atmospheric conditions.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:46:08 AM »
Even with the tower and coax grounding I have in place it makes me nervous during storms and after 30 years my number will be up one of these times and it will take a lightning hit.

You can have my number.  It's been used three or four times in the 18 years I've been in this house and a few times before that in other houses.

I've got the pile of smoked gadgets to prove it.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:47:09 PM »
Even with the tower and coax grounding I have in place it makes me nervous during storms and after 30 years my number will be up one of these times and it will take a lightning hit.

You can have my number.  It's been used three or four times in the 18 years I've been in this house and a few times before that in other houses.

The old adage about lightning never striking twice in the same place is not true.  Some areas do seem more attractive to it for some reason be it terrain, ground conductivity, something.  Back when I done service on TV off air antennas and home satellite TV systems I had one customer I remember who took a hit two weeks in a row and several that seemed to get hit once a year on average.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:48:51 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:25:44 PM »

The old adage about lightning never striking twice in the same place is not true.  Some areas do seem more attractive to it for some reason be it terrain, ground conductivity, something.  Back when I done service on TV off air antennas and home satellite TV systems I had one customer I remember who took a hit two weeks in a row and several that seemed to get hit once a year on average.
I had a guy, many many years ago, during two summers in a row, at least once a month somebody would go fix a lightning zapped tv. They started counting on a repairman for dinner, and fed 'em. He said he could unplug the thing, disconnect everything, push it into the middle of the living room, and lightning would still knock it out...
Horrible thing is, about two weeks later, a bolt hit him full force on the built in garage corner, did about 50 grand damage.  ... but didn't blow the TV.  Lived in Nicholasville, KY, and I was there so often twe became friends. He passed a few years ago, but she's in her 90s.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 10:55:28 PM »
.... He said he could unplug the thing, disconnect everything, push it into the middle of the living room, and lightning would still knock it out......

People would ask how to save them from the storms and I would tell them have to unplug the coax and the AC cord both and the phone if it was a DSS receiver.  It can come in any wire.  Then there was one house I went to the RCA DSS was out.  "We had the receiver completely disconnected from everything and it is still ended up dead after the storm!"  I figured nah probably just the outside LNB shorted or coax burned.  Nope, turns out the lighting rain the TV antenna mast outside the wall where it was setting and it must have induced enough of a static charge inside the wall to take out the receiver.  The weird stuff you see really gives you respect for it.  One place we could not get the old CRT TV degaused and the color splotches out of it after a lightning strike.  Lighting would sometimes magnetize them so bad that the internal coil was not enough to clear them up.  Ended up the wood stove was still holding enough magnetism to act like a huge speaker near the TV.  We ran the degauss coil over it and the TV color cleared up.   #-o I filed both of those in the I would never believe it if I had not seen it file. :lol:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:58:23 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 11:09:41 PM »
,,,,Lighting would sometimes magnetize them so bad that the internal coil was not enough to clear them up.  Ended up the wood stove was still holding enough magnetism to act like a huge speaker near the TV.  We ran the degauss coil over it and the TV color cleared up.   #-o I filed both of those in the I would never believe it if I had not seen it file. :lol:
We'd have the big crts get warped,or sprung aperture masks.. you could hear 'em rattle... We did a warped mask job once on the TV I mentioned above. Some of your 'gaused' crts may have been that. I saw a couple where the mask had blown into and scraped the phosphor coating. One damn tube still showed a semblance of an image, too.
Ah the good old days. Don't miss 'em a dang bit, but it had its fun moments.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »
Yep, we had some of them too.  I remember one the shadow mask came loose on one corner and you could shake the TV and see it moving in there by the color purity changing with a white screen displayed on it.  When  they first came out with the larger screens 32" and 35" they had some issues.  Those were beasts to change out due to the weight of them.  Biggest CRT we had to replace was the RCA 38" widescreen.  Think there was someone making a 40" CRT for a while.  They really did not want you taking a degauss ring to them as you could actually make the problem worse.  But like the old CRT rejuvenation and burning the crud off the color guns, you used them when you really had nothing to loose other then a chance of buying the customer a little more time.  I still remember when they sold a step up transformer for the filaments.  It kicked up the filament voltage so it ran hotter and made the picture a little brighter for awhile.  At least until the filament burned out.  I was authorized factory warranty servicer for RCA, Zenith, North American Phillips (Magnavox, Sylvania, Philco) at that time.  We did not take on Sony and Toshiba warranty work until about the time when the Plasma, DLP and LCD's started to role out and RCA went overseas and Zenith went to LG.  I had several customers that worked at the RCA (Thomson) picture tube factory in Circleville, Ohio until it shutdown in 2004.
Mark 

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 04:48:20 AM »

NEW: 03/23/2017: Contact Form
Submit or update a stream, comment, complain, etc
NEW: 03/22/2017:
LIVE MAP—U.S. Hazards with Streams
At least for now, the "WWA" map will utilize 'selected' streams, not all, for 'clarity' and representation of areas...it's a developing concept, but we're calling it 'active'...

At Least one script is available, currently, to use the new sourcing on your site...
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31396.msg318591#msg318591
we'll be posting these as they become finalized, probably on the 'how to ' page... 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:56:10 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 11:58:21 AM »

NEW: 03/23/2017: Contact Form
Submit or update a stream, comment, complain, etc
NEW: 03/22/2017:
LIVE MAP—U.S. Hazards with Streams
At least for now, the "WWA" map will utilize 'selected' streams, not all, for 'clarity' and representation of areas...it's a developing concept, but we're calling it 'active'...

At Least one script is available, currently, to use the new sourcing on your site...
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31396.msg318591#msg318591
we'll be posting these as they become finalized, probably on the 'how to ' page...

Is there a way for someone to get a stream going for Indy or Bloomington?
Mike K.
Gosport, Indiana

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »
Have you looked at http://noaaweatherradio.org????
Is there a way for someone to get a stream going for Indy or Bloomington?
Not all stations are listed on the WWA mapping, and likely won't be... I'ts NOT the main stream listing. if you look at the main page, you'll get one idea why.  right now there are 4 Indiana streams, and one is Indianapolis.
More will be added to WWA as I have time...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:38:06 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »