Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 115860 times)

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #1000 on: March 14, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
Post 1000... what do I win?

Anyway... just a suggestion for down the road to add support for the new API's from WU.

Cheers....

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #1001 on: March 14, 2019, 06:33:08 PM »
Anyway... just a suggestion for down the road to add support for the new API's from WU.
The new API key is only needed when the data from Weather Underground is downloaded - to upload data to Weather Underground, the WiFiLogger needs the registered station ID and the password assigned to that station ID.
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #1002 on: March 14, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »
- GZ file is loading much faster, so I will make index.html.gz for all WiFiLoggers.
Unfortunately, if the 'index.html' file is compressed, that means the 'index.html' file cannot be edited through/with the SPIFFS editor. That means that those few settings found in the 'index.html' file will have to be moved somewhere else (to one of the configuration page/screen). That also means that (programming knowledgeable) users will not be able to easily modify the 'index.html' file to suit their needs.

Using the gzip deflation (decompression) algorithm (or GZ) does not really reduce the loading time anymore, not with the speed of those external devices (PC, smart phones, etc.) and modern browsers - the only reduction is only with the size of the file and not with the speed of the file being downloaded.

The only way I have found to slightly increase the download speed of web pages was to minimize all the files required to create that web page, the file that contains the HTML/PHP code, the file that contains the JavaScript code and the file that contains the CSS code.

- This odd page looks not fully professional, so I will make it blank until weather data come.
That is what I have been doing with my web pages (using some CSS code and a bit of JavaScript) - a message stating 'currently downloading and processing new data' is displayed on an empty page until the required files needed to 'build' that page have been loaded (and all the tags have been replaced with current values).

Note: If you want to see those web pages, please send me a private message as the web pages are on my private home/office server.

Before you upgrade the pages of the WiFiLogger, could you post them temporarily on the WiFiLogger web site (as you did earlier today with the fixed 'Real Time Data' page) - this way users (including myself) could propose/recommend some suggestions as to what could/should be posted on the pages and in which order.  ;)

Because of you WFL will be faster and better looking :)
I have not yet helped you in any way to make the WiFiLogger faster and/or better looking...  8-)
R_o_B
---

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #1003 on: March 16, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
- This odd page looks not fully professional, so I will make it blank until weather data come.
Wojciech, how about something like this for the main 'Real Time Data' page:
R_o_B
---

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1004 on: March 16, 2019, 06:24:31 PM »
My two WiFiloggers show my sunrise in 12 hour format and the sunset in 24 hour format on the “Real Time Data” page, just like the prior posting (number 1004) in this thread. Very weird to say the least, and until today, after months of using, never noticed! Thoughts on how to fix?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:30:24 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1005 on: March 16, 2019, 06:45:17 PM »
My two WiFiloggers show my sunrise in 12 hour format and the sunset in 24 hour format on the “Real Time Data” page, just like the prior posting (number 1004) in this thread. Very weird to say the least, and until today, after months of using, never noticed! Thoughts on how to fix?
In the posted image (which is in message # 1003, BTW - yours is 1004!), both times are in one variant of 24 hour format - the one which suppresses leading zeros in the hours. What I assume you mean is that you like leading zeroes in single digit times (as I do), but the formatting is not, strictly speaking, incorrect (as might be taken from your message) - just not the way you (or I) like it.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1006 on: March 16, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »
In the posted image (which is in message # 1003, BTW - yours is 1004!), both times are in one variant of 24 hour format - the one which suppresses leading zeros in the hours. What I assume you mean is that you like leading zeroes in single digit times (as I do), but the formatting is not, strictly speaking, incorrect (as might be taken from your message) - just not the way you (or I) like it.

I believe you are correct— the leading zero in the sunrise time has apparently been suppressed so they really aren’t inconsistent-my mistake. But what is interesting, my consoles display in the 12 hour format and the entries I made in the data logger requested time to be displayed in 12 hour format so not sure where the 24 hour format came from, but in the grand scheme of things, who cares? This logger is so much better and reliable than the Davis usb logger, I am just amazed—my two personal weather stations that use the WiFilogger have NEVER stopped uploading to WU et al, whereas my one pws that uses the Davis usb logger loses connection with the computer for no apparent reason probably once a week on average thus preventing any uploads to CWOP, WU et al.  However, what I find most interesting, my original post above in my browser is in fact 1005, not 1004 as documented by pfletch 101 and apparently, we live just a few miles apart (that should be irrelevant to this issue) but how do posting numbers change from one user to another in this Forum? Some readers might like to blame the owners of Weather Underground, IBM, but that would be a stretch!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:01:25 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1007 on: March 16, 2019, 08:32:48 PM »
However, what I find most interesting, my original post above in my browser is in fact 1005, not 1004 as documented by pfletch 101 and apparently, we live just a few miles apart (that should be irrelevant to this issue) but how do posting numbers change from one user to another in this Forum? Some readers might like to blame the owners of Weather Underground, IBM, but that would be a stretch!
FWIW, I am still seeing the sequence number of your 'original' post as 1004.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1008 on: March 17, 2019, 04:08:02 AM »
However, what I find most interesting, my original post above in my browser is in fact 1005, not 1004 as documented by pfletch 101 and apparently, we live just a few miles apart (that should be irrelevant to this issue) but how do posting numbers change from one user to another in this Forum? Some readers might like to blame the owners of Weather Underground, IBM, but that would be a stretch!

It most likely probably was post 1004 at the time, but some prior message way earlier in the thread was deleted by a moderator or user thereby shifting the entire stack and it became 1003.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1009 on: March 17, 2019, 02:15:43 PM »
Post 1000... what do I win?

Cheers....

I don't know how you called it in US, but in my place we call it: "President's handshake"

Offline jnissen

« Reply #1010 on: March 23, 2019, 09:30:25 PM »
Wojciech, how difficult is it to enable OpenWeatherMap as an option to upload on your WiFiLogger? I have an API key if you want to try it. PM me if interested. You can also request a free API on your own.

If OpenWeatherMap were an option I would purchase this instead of trying to do it with a Raspberry Pi3 that I am considering. BTW - Awesome ESP8266 based project. I have built multiple of these: www.thingpulse.com and as you can see these now use OpenWeatherMap as the source for the network weather data.

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #1011 on: March 23, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »
If you need a Logger that fits in your Davis Weather Console that supports OpenWeatherMap, and Wojciech isn’t able to configure WFL to do so, the Meteobepridge Nano SD does so now.
It’s over double the cost of the WFL but does do what you want.
 I have both and love the Real Time data display of the WFL ( much easier to read than the real time data page of the NanoSD ), however the Weather34 Dashboard of the NanoSD is really cool as well and very easy to read.
 Depends on what you need or want and how much you want to spend.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1012 on: March 24, 2019, 05:03:24 AM »
Wojciech, how difficult is it to enable OpenWeatherMap as an option to upload on your WiFiLogger? I have an API key if you want to try it. PM me if interested. You can also request a free API on your own.

If OpenWeatherMap were an option I would purchase this instead of trying to do it with a Raspberry Pi3 that I am considering. BTW - Awesome ESP8266 based project. I have built multiple of these: www.thingpulse.com and as you can see these now use OpenWeatherMap as the source for the network weather data.

If you think that OpenWeatherMap has a bright future. There will be no problem to enhance WiFi Logger to upload data there.
I am no able to make uploads to all weather sites in the world, that why I have to choose common which will suites to many people.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1013 on: March 24, 2019, 06:43:21 AM »
If you need a Logger that fits in your Davis Weather Console that supports OpenWeatherMap, and Wojciech isn’t able to configure WFL to do so, the Meteobepridge Nano SD does so now.
It’s over double the cost of the WFL but does do what you want.
 I have both and love the Real Time data display of the WFL ( much easier to read than the real time data page of the NanoSD ), however the Weather34 Dashboard of the NanoSD is really cool as well and very easy to read.
 Depends on what you need or want and how much you want to spend.

Meteobridge is a powerfull software developed for many years. In fact I haven't use it, but looks very good.
WiFiLogger was suppoused to be enhanced Datalogger IP, but with WiFi. There is some problem with wire, like router is deep inside your home, but ISS range is good on kitchen window.

Now take a look prices.
Davis Vue you can have for $268.05
Nano SD you can have for $366.99 NANO

And you have users who wants send theirs temperature to WeatherUnderdround.
+ you have some WFL users here who will confirm that WFL is able to do that in convenient way.
And price is more similar to USB datalogger than IP, or NANO.

Why price is so important? Because users with more money won't take VUE instead of VP2.

Still it is very good that users have a choice.

Offline jnissen

« Reply #1014 on: March 24, 2019, 09:48:13 PM »
Agree the options to enable it easily are $$$.

Have you found that the ESP8266 drops out WiFi from time to time? I have several devices based on this module and the downside seems to be a reboot about once every month or possibly sooner depending on the network. Perhaps you have a watchdog to reset the device if you miss a heartbeat? Just wondering how you manage to keep the connection reliable. 

Offline TomS

« Reply #1015 on: March 25, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »
I am sure this has been answered but I want to make sure I have it right -

My console is plugged into wall outlet, although it has batteries in there too.   Where will WifiLogger pull power from?  I am not worried about power outages etc, but obviously don't want it draining the batteries to zero and then not work.

Thanks and sorry for what is certainly a repeat question.

Tom S.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #1016 on: March 25, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »
If you have the AC adapter in, plus batteries, it will pull power from the Adapter unless power fails.  We estimate about 3 days worth of battery life with the WFL installed.  I don't think anyone has tested that.

So you will want the AC adapter plugged in at all times.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #1017 on: March 25, 2019, 06:49:33 PM »
I actually did test it inadvertently. We had a tree fall on our power line last fall. Power was out for a little over 48 hrs. When we got power back I checked the batteries and they were about done. Of course they weren’t fresh so I say 3 days is a real decent estimate.

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #1018 on: March 25, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »

I'm a bit confused. The first post in the thread still points to update_200. I think I used this to get to my current 2.08 version. How do I get to 2.15? Using the above procedure (running address/update twice)? And then just using the system->update from then on?

Yes. That should do the trick. Anyone with version 1.? Has to download the 2.0 from the website and manually update first. But after 2.0 just go to your iPaddress/update twice. After 2.15 there is an update button on the system page directly.

Just reporting back. Starting with 2.08 I did the update twice as directed and am now successfully running 2.15. Just a couple of comments on the process (Yes, I realize this is the temporary upgrade process):
- I was never really sure when each upgrade was done as I was left at a debug screen
- (minor spelling error) one choice in the dropdown list was something like "EU values" and the other "USvalues". Note the space/no space.

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1019 on: March 29, 2019, 04:02:19 PM »
Agree the options to enable it easily are $$$.
Have you found that the ESP8266 drops out WiFi from time to time? I have several devices based on this module and the downside seems to be a reboot about once every month or possibly sooner depending on the network. Perhaps you have a watchdog to reset the device if you miss a heartbeat? Just wondering how you manage to keep the connection reliable.

I have seen that uptime is max 20 days, but I was unable to check when it reboot.
I couldn't rebuild watchdog function. I don't know why, but I couldn't find proper function in libraries, but I have change one library which is printing stock to serial port when system crash.
I have changed printing to reboot. GPIO16 is connected to reset pad, because WifiLogger has deepsleep mode (no one is using it :) ). So I trigger reboot instead of prinintg stock on screen (by GPIO16).
WiFiLogger firmware is not a Linux. It takes 2-8 seconds to reboot (reconnect wifi). Users will not notice that. Even if somebody is using RapidFire. One reboot for 20 days for 2-8 sec. Is not a problem here.
ESP8266 is better that I was thinking it is. Anyway there is so much devices on ESP8266 in the world.

There is more. I have plan to program more reboots.
- When WiFi is disconnected for more than 5 min.
- Every 60 min WiFiLogger will PING 8.8.8.8 or similar IP. When there will be a problem, then it will retry after 1-3 min. repeat 3 times then reboot.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1020 on: March 29, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »
I am sure this has been answered but I want to make sure I have it right -
My console is plugged into wall outlet, although it has batteries in there too.   Where will WifiLogger pull power from?  I am not worried about power outages etc, but obviously don't want it draining the batteries to zero and then not work.
Thanks and sorry for what is certainly a repeat question.
Tom S.

WiFiLogger is draining batteries very fast. I have check it that with fresh batteries it is ok for 69 hours, but it was without RapidFire.
WiFiLogger has 1:1 power consumption like WeatherLink IP, that why I don't see any problem here.
But there is a problem :)
So I have made two options for you.
1 - Sleep mode. If you would like to send data to WeatherUnderground then you can turn it on. WiFiLogger will be OFF for latency time, then power up, connect to WiFi, turn OFF, repeat forever.
2 - With soldering iron you can add external power for powering WiFi module (split power cable). When there will be no power console will have own battery backup, but WiFi chip will be disabled. When there is no power, there is no WiFi in same time, right?
   2 steps.
     - add external power (max 9v), but better split same power which is for console.
     - remove 1 fuse, there are 2 fuses on the bottom of the module. One is for external power, second is for internal console power. I mount both for your convenient, you need to
       remove one, not to go shopping and buy one.

So power consumption it is like WeatherLink IP, but I gave you some options. No one is using theme, but those option makes that WiFiLogger is a little better than WL IP and I can answer for hard questions. :)

Offline jnissen

« Reply #1021 on: March 29, 2019, 04:22:35 PM »
Sounds good. Many programming the chip tend to just assume nothing will ever go wrong! Always a good idea to reboot in those cases you outlined. The only ESP8266 devices i have seen used with deep sleep effectively has been the ESPaper Weather displays from Daniel @ Squix.org Available at www.thingpulse.com  All his software is open source so you can see under the covers. I'm much more a hardware guy so always amazed at how well the code has progressed for these little devices.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1022 on: March 29, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
- I was never really sure when each upgrade was done as I was left at a debug screen

I can't do anything with this. It should print on screen that update was made, but connection is lost for this function. Your browser will reconnect, but you are loosing some info.
After firmware update WiFi module is rebooting. It is printing info before that, but for some reason you can't see it.
This debug window is very needed, but it is not stable like UART connection, but for UART you have to add a cable to WiFiLogger :/
In my opinion it is good enought, but maybe not perfect for system update :), but HTMLs downloading is showing very good.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1023 on: March 29, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
Sounds good. Many programming the chip tend to just assume nothing will ever go wrong! Always a good idea to reboot in those cases you outlined. The only ESP8266 devices i have seen used with deep sleep effectively has been the ESPaper Weather displays from Daniel @ Squix.org Available at www.thingpulse.com  All his software is open source so you can see under the covers. I'm much more a hardware guy so always amazed at how well the code has progressed for these little devices.
I am using Arduino to program. I should change it to GCC, but I have stuck with Arduino libraries. They give me flexibility.
Many WiFiLoggers users like it, because it is flexible and with firmware update can be on time with world wide solutions.
WiFiLogger is mostly Davis station driver. So it is not sticked to Arduino.

ESP8266 is printing stock on screen, but not rebooting. Please find in you system core_esp8266_postmortem.c and compare to mine from attachment.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:37:32 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline SmittythePirate

« Reply #1024 on: April 04, 2019, 09:56:46 PM »
I've tried looking this up on multiple websites and found it mentioned slightly on page 14 or 15, but is WFL compatible with the Saratoga Templates?  If so which plug-in does it use?  Realistically I'm just looking for a dashboard that isn't as big as some more common ones.

Thanks for any advice.