Author Topic: Cron Job  (Read 1111 times)

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
Cron Job
« on: April 07, 2018, 08:51:05 AM »
How can I setup a cron job so that http://gosportwx.com/TweetWX/TweetWX-forecast.php updates on its own?
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Cron Job
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 09:05:15 AM »
Check your web hosting service CPanel for Cron Jobs. It is under "Advanced" on mine.

The times of the cron job can be set with check boxes, but they assume that you know something about Linux scripts for my host.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
Check your web hosting service CPanel for Cron Jobs. It is under "Advanced" on mine.

The times of the cron job can be set with check boxes, but they assume that you know something about Linux scripts for my host.

Greg H.

I have Godaddy but Idk how to use there cron thing.
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »
Maybe this would help:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/WzIqEJkK_pM[/youtube]

Direct link: https://youtu.be/WzIqEJkK_pM

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
Hi mkutche,

Listen I don't have Go daddy, and although I setup my own cron job, by direction posted by my service provider, it did not work for me. So I sent off a help ticket, and in about an hour the tech support changed something and they got it to work.

So, I would try to ask tech support for help, I don't know how GoDaddy works, but my provider has always been helpful, and I ave never had any extra charges?

Good luck.

yamiacaveman

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 10:37:43 AM »
I ditched GoDaddy's very restrictive CRON jobs for cURL jobs triggered by Splinterware's System Scheduler.  With these utilities you have exquisitely granular control over your CRON jobs and no nonsense from your web host.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 02:21:34 PM »
I ditched GoDaddy's very restrictive CRON jobs for cURL jobs triggered by Splinterware's System Scheduler.  With these utilities you have exquisitely granular control over your CRON jobs and no nonsense from your web host.

Jerry,

I agree with you however, one of the issues with running any scheduler on a windows-based computer is that you have to contend with the fact that windows simply doesn't always fire-off the cron/scheduled jobs when you want them to be run. I have run into that many times over the years and the only really reliable way to run scheduled jobs is via your hosts' cron scheduler. Once set, they just run without you having to worry about them. I suppose that, if you had your own server, then you could reliably run scheduled jobs on that. I've used both ICDSoft and 1and1 for many years and have never had a scheduling issue with either one of them. I gave up trying to keep my task scheduler jobs running on Windows-10.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 03:01:09 PM »

Jerry,

I agree with you however, one of the issues with running any scheduler on a windows-based computer is that you have to contend with the fact that windows simply doesn't always fire-off the cron/scheduled jobs when you want them to be run. I have run into that many times over the years and the only really reliable way to run scheduled jobs is via your hosts' cron scheduler. Once set, they just run without you having to worry about them. I suppose that, if you had your own server, then you could reliably run scheduled jobs on that. I've used both ICDSoft and 1and1 for many years and have never had a scheduling issue with either one of them. I gave up trying to keep my task scheduler jobs running on Windows-10.
The Splinterware System Scheduler doesn't rely at all on Windows' Task Scheduler.  It runs independently and if your system clock is updating so will the Splinterware Scheduler.  I've never had a problem with it.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
I agree with Jerry.  I have been using System Scheduler for several years without fail.  It is the answer if you are running a Windows-based machine.

Offline Dane_B

• WI3X Home Page
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:12:01 PM »
I use Ipage as my provider. They do not support cron jobs.
I do instead use EasyCron to run cron jobs scripted on my Ipage account. At this time I use them mostly to do some camera image renaming etc.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
UV and Solar sensors
Remote Wireless Anemometer
http://weather.wi3x.com/gauges-ss.htm