Author Topic: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100  (Read 139242 times)

Offline benmargolin

Re: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100
« Reply #325 on: June 12, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
I added a second weather station using this software to Weather Underground.
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCACLEAR4

This is great stuff! I will try to finally give this a try, this weekend. Definitely time to stop "throwing away" my data at Lacrosse's servers...

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #326 on: June 20, 2014, 12:26:05 AM »
Still working on this project, although a bit slower than before. Life, art, paychecks and grand-kids take precedence - and not necessarily in that order...  :-)

I am currently adding a feature where you can click a button and recreate all of your sensor readings using new (more accurate) algorithms.  This was a big change and broke a lot of stuff, so bear with me.  Those of you subscribing to my Mantis bug-reporting site will see all of my boo-boos as I write new code.

Offline dld121

« Reply #327 on: June 26, 2014, 11:50:08 AM »

I had a few hrs to work on the code today,  I took a snapshot that keckec has updated and modified it to upload to weather underground.

It doesn't have the fix to stop sending 210 byte packets or anything, but it does seem to work well:

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCAPETAL29

Code Snapshot is here:

https://github.com/lowerpower/LaCrosse

Thank you for this!  It is working well for moving my data to:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KGALOOKO3

David

Offline kp4djt

« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
I just moved to a remote location (well Internet wise) here ins S.W. Washington. At my previous location I had a nice cable connection ($$ but I could have had dialup) now I am stuck with HughesNet (B-[)

I had looked into trying to keep my data local back sometime ago, that was I believe
when this thread first started, I saw where it was doing data scrapes and whatnot,
I was more interested in local capture, but since I had all of that BW it was not high
on my list, NOW with Hughesnet as the ISP, I have to keep the bit count down
(no more Roku, alas... a single movie eats up 7/8ths of my monthly allocation, and
I am not paying them more for a half a movie more of BW.

Reviewing what you guys  have done, it has really come along. I am interested in
the Linux side of the house (only run Win7 in a VM every once in a while), indeed
I want to see if I can cram enough of it into a Raspberry PI to operate as the back
end and have a larger machine pull off the data every so often, or just try to set it
up to where the RPI does the updates. If I need to capture more history than the
RPI can hold I can just dump it to a db on a big machine and be done with it. I
have a RPI ordered and this will probably be the first thing I put on the device.

I will be interested in doing any testing that you guys want.

I run Ubuntu and a bit of CentOS.

Offline KennKong

« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »
De-lurking for a bit :grin:
Thanks to what I've read here from mycal and keckec, and by sniffing the output of SkyDvr's program, I've been working on my own scripts for my Synology Diskstation to capture the packets, save them to my local version of SkyDvr's database, and relay them to weatherdirect.com for comparison of the replies.

I have multiple issues to discuss, so I'll post them separately to keep the conversation focused.

I'll start with the 210-byte history packets:
I'm seeing more variation in the 8-byte header than SkyDvr reported (e.g. they don't all start with 0x2164) but I haven't really figured out what the variations are.
I'm also slightly more variation in the 4-byte trailer than SkyDvr, also undeciphered so far.

I've mostly figured out the 18-byte data packets, the offsets below are in nybbles:
All values except wind direction are BCD.
Values except wind direction and speed are BCD.  Windspeeds are 3 nybbles in units of .01 km/h
StartEndDescription
02Maybe rainfall, ranges from 0x000 to 0x003 in my data
33A wind gust direction? varies from 0x0-0xf, but varies little from one to the next
44Wind direction: varies from 0x0-0xf, often greatly from one to the next
57Wind gust speed; 3 nybbles in .01 kph
810Wind speed; 3 nybbles in .01 kph
1112Outside relative humidity(%)
1314Inside relative humidity(%)
1519Barometer in .1 mbar
2022Outside T in .1 degC + 400
2325Inside T in .1 degC + 400
2635Date as ymdhi

Now, I have one question about these: How do I shut them up?  Every time my gateway sends a full current data packet, it retransmits the entire history again.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:10:11 AM by KennKong »

Offline KennKong

« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2014, 05:33:07 PM »
I forgot to mention that with a big head start from mycal's request script, I am also successfully transmitting my data to weatherunderground.com:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KFLORLAN112#history

Offline KennKong

« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2014, 05:47:10 PM »
Has anyone completely decoded the response to the 00:70 packets?

My response is 16 bytes of 00s followed by 2 bytes of seconds per data packet.  weatherdirect has many of the same response.

However, weatherdirect less often responds with 16 bytes of ff followed by 2 bytes 0x04xx, where xx in my logs is always > af, but is otherwise fairly random.

Offline keckec

« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2014, 02:27:01 AM »
Hi KennKong,

I just uploaded some stuff that might help. There are four files here: two describing the packets, the php code I use to grab the data from the gateway and feed it to the database, and the database schema.
http://www.keckec.com/weather/WxStuff.tgz

I apologize for the rough look of the .sql file, I'm in between modifications of the database schema and the php code, so they're out of sync in my source right now. What's in the tgz file is a dump of the running database (minus data) so it should work with request.breq (php code). To get it to stop sending history packets, you have to send it the address of the memory location that is to receive the next history record. It sends this address out in bytes 4 & 5 (big endian) of every type 0x21 packet (the first byte = 0x21). The request.breq file sends that out when asked, so every time there is a new history record saved by the console, it sends out of single history record in a 30-byte packet. The writeup should explain some of that.

Please ask any questions you might have about this stuff. I know I'm not the best at explaining these things.

I'm currently working on the data retrieval side of things, but it's very preliminary.

Offline KennKong

« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2014, 03:33:20 AM »
I just uploaded some stuff that might help.

The layout looks like a slightly improved version of what I already got from your earlier posts.  I'll dig into it more tomorrow.

If you want data extraction, I have a page which reads the (local) weather database (a la SkyDvr) and displays the current conditions plus nice graphs of the history (thanks to Scott_A.)  It doesn't look pretty (OK, it looks pretty ugly) but that's because I've never done HTML, PHP, JScript or anything else web page related before.  Total newb, here.  I don't know if the link will work (I only use my webserver locally) but you will need IPv6 connectivity at a minimum (I don't publish my IPv4 address).
http://www.kennkong.info/Weather.htm
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:08:49 PM by KennKong »

Offline KennKong

« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2014, 01:51:12 AM »
keckec, your info on the 14:01 reply packet was quite helpful.  I'm still struggling with the next history memory address part.  My logs show that while it almost always advances by 0x12 every 15 minutes (my history interval), occasionally it won't advance for longer than that, rarely much longer (i.e 2 hours).

Nonetheless, by getting the next history address closer to the last history address, it has finally gotten the long history recaps to stop.

BTW, any thoughts on the 5-byte packet that triggers this?  The first byte is always 0x41 (clearly, the packet type).
The third byte has always been one of (10, 11, 20, 21, 30, 31); may it be some kind of forecast value?  The other three bytes bounce around quite a bit, with no clear trends.  Also, the number of different values is much less than the numbers of samples, so they have some non-random meaning.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:26:45 AM by KennKong »

Offline mycal

« Reply #335 on: July 09, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »

I don't see why you cannot do everything on the pi, its plenty powerful accept and log the data and write it to its own database, and even display it on a web server.

Uploading to WU is mouse nuts bandwidth compared to streaming a movie, and probably wouldn't be noticeable on your bandwidth. (figure 500 bytes every 5 min)

-M

Reviewing what you guys  have done, it has really come along. I am interested in
the Linux side of the house (only run Win7 in a VM every once in a while), indeed
I want to see if I can cram enough of it into a Raspberry PI to operate as the back
end and have a larger machine pull off the data every so often, or just try to set it
up to where the RPI does the updates. If I need to capture more history than the
RPI can hold I can just dump it to a db on a big machine and be done with it. I
have a RPI ordered and this will probably be the first thing I put on the device.

Offline KennKong

« Reply #336 on: July 10, 2014, 02:41:23 AM »
I finally got the history packets to dry up, by saving the last memory address from the history packets and sending it back in the 14:01 reply.  However, due to some fat fingering, I sent a bad address, and the thing has gone loopy.

Since the bad 14:01 packet, the system is sending the 00:70 packets non-stop.  Interestingly, the weatherdirect.com response to those changed from padding the first 14 bytes with 0x00 to 0x2e.  Also, the weatherdirect.com response to the 01:00 packet is also filled with 0x2e, except for the memory address bytes and the checksum.  Not even the leading 01 packet type byte is there.

I would really like to stop the flood of 00:70 packets.  I let the system talk directly to weatherdirect (without my relay) for a couple hours, and it's still doing it.  I've rebooted the gateway multiple times, and reset the weather station itself once.  No luck.  Any thoughts?

Offline keckec

« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2014, 10:42:51 AM »
I'm still struggling with the next history memory address part.  My logs show that while it almost always advances by 0x12 every 15 minutes (my history interval), occasionally it won't advance for longer than that, rarely much longer (i.e 2 hours).

Nonetheless, by getting the next history address closer to the last history address, it has finally gotten the long history recaps to stop.
Glad your history blabbermouth settled down. At one time I was trying to anticipate what the next history address will be, and that worked most of the time to keep it from sending history packets. But it didn't always work, and that might be what you're seeing too. At this point I just repeat the address it last sent out, so when the address changes what I send is behind by one history record length (0x12 bytes). So it then sends a 1-record history packet, I save the address from bytes 4&5, and am back in sync with it again. That works out since I save that history record. That way I have the complete history. I think this may be what weatherdirect does too.

BTW, any thoughts on the 5-byte packet that triggers this?  The first byte is always 0x41 (clearly, the packet type).
The third byte has always been one of (10, 11, 20, 21, 30, 31); may it be some kind of forecast value?  The other three bytes bounce around quite a bit, with no clear trends.  Also, the number of different values is much less than the numbers of samples, so they have some non-random meaning.
I think the second byte is RF signal strength, as a binary value in percent, with 5% granularity. This value is also in the same byte in the history (type 0x21) and data (type 0x01) packets. I don't know what the other bytes are. When mine was communicating with weatherdirect, the third byte contained same values as you, and a 35 once. I don't have a clue about the last two bytes.

Offline keckec

« Reply #338 on: July 10, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »
I finally got the history packets to dry up, by saving the last memory address from the history packets and sending it back in the 14:01 reply.  However, due to some fat fingering, I sent a bad address, and the thing has gone loopy.

Since the bad 14:01 packet, the system is sending the 00:70 packets non-stop.  Interestingly, the weatherdirect.com response to those changed from padding the first 14 bytes with 0x00 to 0x2e.  Also, the weatherdirect.com response to the 01:00 packet is also filled with 0x2e, except for the memory address bytes and the checksum.  Not even the leading 01 packet type byte is there.

I would really like to stop the flood of 00:70 packets.  I let the system talk directly to weatherdirect (without my relay) for a couple hours, and it's still doing it.  I've rebooted the gateway multiple times, and reset the weather station itself once.  No luck.  Any thoughts?

Are you sure the only problem was the address in the 14:01 packet? I've sent lots of bogus addresses while messing around and it always recovered when sent the right address. You might try having the gateway reset its connection to the weatherdirect servers. Have a look at this pdf for some reset info. I think it may be for a different model, but might work here.
http://www.weatherdirect.com/pdfs/help/Lost%20Forecast.pdf

Offline KennKong

« Reply #339 on: July 10, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »

At this point I just repeat the address it last sent out, so when the address changes what I send is behind by one history record length (0x12 bytes). So it then sends a 1-record history packet, I save the address from bytes 4&5, and am back in sync with it again. That works out since I save that history record. That way I have the complete history. I think this may be what weatherdirect does too.

I think the second byte is RF signal strength, as a binary value in percent, with 5% granularity.
Hmm! I've been saving the address from bytes 6 and 7.  Maybe that's why mine has stopped sending history packets completely now.  Like you, I had been getting the one record response every 15 minutes, but I haven't seen one since I sent the bad address packet.

I concur with the 01:00 byte 2 being RF signal strength.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #340 on: July 12, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
Now, I have one question about these: How do I shut them up?  Every time my gateway sends a full current data packet, it retransmits the entire history again.

You need to send a properly formatted 0010 reply to the GW after it requests the current time in a 0100 5-byte packet. 

The reply must contain your PWS serial number issued by LCX - the 7FFFxxxxxxxxxxxxxx hex number. 

It must also contain the correct local time/date (if you want your LCD display to have an accurate clock).

Last, and there is some controversy about this, you probably need to update the "epoch" field in the reply packet to match the value that the GW expects.  It is my opinion that if the epoch value is not set correctly, then the GW will interpret this as an internet interruption and start sending historical packets again.

I have this handshake working perfectly in the latest (unreleased) version of SkySpy.  The only time I see 210-byte packets is when I stop or pause the SkySpy service long enough for the GW to time out.

I have been pretty busy lately doing other stuff besides software development, but I have been working on the user manual this week.  I am up to 30 pages so far :-) 

I will need a couple brave souls to test the next version, sometime in the next week or two.  It supports both embedded MySQL as well as full-up MySQL.  It will autocreate the necessary MySQL schemas.  I have changed the original schemas slightly - enough to make them incompatible.  It should be relatively easy to migrate old schema data to the new format, but I have not gotten around to that.

Back to your problem:

The long 210-byte packets are a bit of a red herring.  I believe they are sent to LCX to catch up with historical sensor readings after a prolonged internet outage.  You don't need to deal with them if you are consistently logging/parsing the 197-byte Sensor Data Packets (SDP).  The SDP contains a single set of the most recent sensor readings. 

If you fail to properly handshake the 5-byte packet the GW sends out, the GW interprets this as a loss of connectivity.  The GW then starts sending historical data over-and-over-and-over until it gets a valid handshake from the "LCX server".  In this case the server is the SkySpy (or whatever) server.

Since you are not handshaking properly, most of your traffic will be useless historical data packets.

SkySpy ignores any 210 byte packets that pass by.  Typically your GW will sync up with SkySpy after a couple packets and stop sending them.  The only time they return is if you stop the SkySpy service long enough for the "internet" indicator to extinguish on the LCD panel.  My guess it that it times out after 5-10 minutes, but I have not measured it.

Offline KennKong

« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
You need to send a properly formatted 0010 reply to the GW after it requests the current time in a 0100 5-byte packet. 

The reply must contain your PWS serial number issued by LCX - the 7FFFxxxxxxxxxxxxxx hex number. 

It must also contain the correct local time/date (if you want your LCD display to have an accurate clock).

Last, and there is some controversy about this, you probably need to update the "epoch" field in the reply packet to match the value that the GW expects.  It is my opinion that if the epoch value is not set correctly, then the GW will interpret this as an internet interruption and start sending historical packets again.

I have this handshake working perfectly in the latest (unreleased) version of SkySpy.  The only time I see 210-byte packets is when I stop or pause the SkySpy service long enough for the GW to time out.

Instead of calling it "epoch", I call it "last history memory address".  When you get an history packet (an 01:01 packet with a first byte = 0x21, the last history address is in bytes 4-5.  I've been putting this in bytes 22-23 of my 14:01 replies to the 01:00 packets, and I've been getting one 30-byte history packet every 15 minutes or so.

I've stopped using your SkySpy service now that I've got my own web server doing the job, but it was very helpful in the early stages being able to snoop the traffic to and from it.  One comment though: it kept filling up the sensordatavalues table with old timestamps, never with any apparently valid data.

I'm still wrestling with what to do with the historical data myself.  I can't see how storing the values coming from the unit itself will be helpful, as I can always look up the same data from my database anytime.  I might store frequently required values in a history table to relieve my database from looking up the same thing over and over again, but I still don't think I'd populate that table with data from the weather station.  Maybe there's something there that I can't get from the db, but I can't see it.

P.S. I didn't emphasize that SkySpy was very helpful=D> to you.

Offline keckec

« Reply #342 on: July 12, 2014, 11:40:21 PM »
I'm still wrestling with what to do with the historical data myself.  I can't see how storing the values coming from the unit itself will be helpful, as I can always look up the same data from my database anytime.  I might store frequently required values in a history table to relieve my database from looking up the same thing over and over again, but I still don't think I'd populate that table with data from the weather station.  Maybe there's something there that I can't get from the db, but I can't see it.

I think historical data might be useful if the server is down for some time. I don't try to achieve good reliability with UPSes, etc., and times when the power is out might be the times I later wish I had the data. I suspect the console/gateway will save history until the server is back up, at which time the server will store whatever was missed.

Offline KennKong

« Reply #343 on: July 13, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »
I think historical data might be useful if the server is down for some time. I don't try to achieve good reliability with UPSes, etc., and times when the power is out might be the times I later wish I had the data. I suspect the console/gateway will save history until the server is back up, at which time the server will store whatever was missed.
Good point.  Saving the history as extra data points in sensorvalues certainly won't hurt.  I think the only problem is to be careful with the units, as some of those in the history packets seem to be in different formats than the current data packets.  Since my algorithm for saving the last memory address occurs after the history packet is sent, it should catch me up after an outage.

My versions of request.breq, Weather.htm (which displays my data) and wsdata.php (which retrieves the data) are almost working well enough to post.  I need to document a few tiny modifications to SkyDvr database schema that I made.  I also want it to work for multiple weather stations.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:48:46 PM by KennKong »

Offline KennKong

« Reply #344 on: July 13, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »
Has anybody else noticed that the max gust per cycle (if that's what it really is) in bytes 160-161 of the sensor data packets are all multiples of 0xd8?  The current wind speeds in bytes 145-146 are all multiples of 0x24  (1/6 of the intervals for gusts) as well.  I've been interpreting both values as unsigned integers of 0.01 km/hr, meaning I'm getting a granularity of .36 kph and 2.16 kph for wind and gusts respectively.

The values I'm getting seem rather low to me.  I get daily thunderstorms where I live, with gusts often over 40 mph, but the highest wind values (current or gust) that I've seen are 0x534 (13.32 kph or 8.33mph).  I'm suspecting the units might be 0.1 km/h, not 0.01.

BTW, I pointed my leaf blower at the anemometer for a while, so a top speed of 83 mph is not ridiculous.

Am I way off?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:40:38 PM by KennKong »

Offline keckec

« Reply #345 on: July 14, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »
Has anybody else noticed that the max gust per cycle (if that's what it really is) in bytes 160-161 of the sensor data packets are all multiples of 0xd8?  The current wind speeds in bytes 145-146 are all multiples of 0x24  (1/6 of the intervals for gusts) as well.  I've been interpreting both values as unsigned integers of 0.01 km/hr, meaning I'm getting a granularity of .36 kph and 2.16 kph for wind and gusts respectively.

The values I'm getting seem rather low to me.  I get daily thunderstorms where I live, with gusts often over 40 mph, but the highest wind values (current or gust) that I've seen are 0x534 (13.32 kph or 8.33mph).  I'm suspecting the units might be 0.1 km/h, not 0.01.
I use the same decoding algorithm for all three wind values, at bytes 145, 157, and 160, and they seem to correlate ok. One check is the max gust value at byte 157. This should always match the console. I divide the 4-nybble binary value by 161.9 (there is a typo in my writeup, BTW). Are you using four nybbles for each value?

I did a histogram of wind gust values a while back. They only come in discrete values, but mine aren't always multiples of 0xd8. Most of the values seen differed by 0xd8, but a couple of values differed by 0xfc. I think this may be to compensate for inaccuracies in the anemometer.

I think the 6:1 difference in granularity between the wind speed and gust is because the speed is an average of 6 gust values. But I think the scaling is the same for both. 6 also corresponds to the number of wind direction nybbles in the SDP, at byte 149. This may be a function of how often SDPs are sent out, but I haven't done any testing.

BTW, I pointed my leaf blower at the anemometer for a while, so a top speed of 83 mph is not ridiculous.
My leaf blower must be a bit wimpy. When I did that, it only went up to about 35 mph  :-(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:05:22 PM by keckec »

Offline KennKong

« Reply #346 on: July 14, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
Here's a little snippet of PHP I use to calculate the heat index.  I store this value in the wind chill sensor, which makes that sensor more of a "Feels Like" temperature.  Note that if it is actually cold enough for the wind chill to be a factor, this function won't change it.
Code: [Select]
function heatindex($t, $rh) { // T in deg F
//Valid for T>80 F and RH>40%
if ($t < 80 || $rh < 40) return $t;
//{HI} = c_1 + c_2 T + c_3 R + c_4 T R
// + c_5 T^2 + c_6 R^2 + c_7 T^2R + c_8 T R^2 + c_9 T^2 R^2\ \,
//Constants from NOAA
$c = [ 0, -42.379, 2.04901523, 10.14333127, -0.22475541,
-6.83783E-3, -5.481717E-2, 1.22874E-3, 8.5282E-4, -1.99E-6 ];
$t2 = pow($t,2);
$rh2 = pow($rh,2);
$hi = $c[1] + $c[2]*$t + $c[3]*$rh + $c[4]*$t*$rh
+ $c[5]*$t2 + $c[6]*$rh2 + $c[7]*$t2*$rh + $c[8]*$t*$rh2 + $c[9]*$t2*$rh2;
return round($hi,1);
}

Offline KennKong

« Reply #347 on: July 17, 2014, 02:53:49 AM »
Can anyone make more sense of the rainfall data than I am?

According to keckec, the 7-nyb value at nyb 184 is the previous month rain.
Likewise, the 6-nyb value at 206 is the previous week rain.

My server has only been collecting data reliably since July 8, so I can't say anything about the monthly rainfall value except that in my case, it has been constant at 181.9 mm since I started collecting.

However, I definitely have more than a week of data, but my weekly rainfall value has been almost constant at 63.2 mm, the only variation being a few values of 75.0 on July 4 (before reliable collection began).

The range of the values seems appropriate for monthly and weekly rainfalls, by why aren't they changing?

Offline keckec

« Reply #348 on: July 17, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »
Can anyone make more sense of the rainfall data than I am?

According to keckec, the 7-nyb value at nyb 184 is the previous month rain.
Likewise, the 6-nyb value at 206 is the previous week rain.

My server has only been collecting data reliably since July 8, so I can't say anything about the monthly rainfall value except that in my case, it has been constant at 181.9 mm since I started collecting.

However, I definitely have more than a week of data, but my weekly rainfall value has been almost constant at 63.2 mm, the only variation being a few values of 75.0 on July 4 (before reliable collection began).

The range of the values seems appropriate for monthly and weekly rainfalls, by why aren't they changing?
As I understand it, the previous month's rain only changes on the first day of the month. Likewise the previous week's rain only changes when the week changes. The start of the week is defined as midnight of the day prior to the day of the week when batteries were last installed in the console. I think 1-hr and 24-hr rain are moving windows. They may put a timestamp on each bucket tip, and tally how many tips fall within each moving window.
Check out page 21 of the manual here:
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/c84612/manual.pdf
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:17:13 AM by keckec »

Offline KennKong

« Reply #349 on: July 17, 2014, 11:56:56 AM »
Likewise the previous week's rain only changes when the week changes. The start of the week is defined as midnight of the day prior to the day of the week when batteries were last installed in the console.
Yup! That's what the manual says.  But assuming my console's week ended July 4, I would have expected the data to change again on July 12, but it didn't.  It would be an amazing coincidence if the rainfall from one week to the next was the same down to the last .01 mm!  I'll see what happens July 19, I guess.