Author Topic: Which weather station to buy  (Read 12318 times)

Offline booboo

Which weather station to buy
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
This is for my home.  I have a La Crosse 2317 right now but I think it is time to upgrade.  I am using Cumuls software to view data and post live data to my website.  The bigest problem I have with the La Crosse is I have to have all the sensors on my roof in order to get reception to the base.   Because of this the temp sensor is not accurite due to the heat of the sun and roof.  I would like to have the temp sensor in a tree in my front yard and the rest of the sensors on the roof.  The sensors on the roof will be a good 75 feet from the base, the one in the front yard will be about 50 feet away.  Is there a setup where I can do this and keep the ability to post live data to my website?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Which weather station to buy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »
Temp sensor in a tree is not a good idea, accuracy-wise.    Look into the Davis VP2 units.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »
     I agree with the Davis VP2's if budget allows.  An OS WMR 968 is a respectable unit at a lower cost.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 04:14:26 PM »
You can compare the VP2, WMR968, and 2315 on my site.  I have one of each on the same pole.

Of course, the update rates are all different in real time, so I have them on a 5-minute update rate.  My old computer won't handle rapidfire without locking up.

All stations have their pluses and minuses:  update rates, sensor placement options, solar vs. battery, price, etc.

You should get the best station you can afford, IMO.

Good luck!  :)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline booboo

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 04:46:05 PM »
What about the Davis Vantage Vue?   Here is a photo of my home and you can see the Lacrosse wind speed sensor right next to the chimney.  Is this a good place to put a a Vantage Vue or Pro 2?  Seem to me like the roof and sun would effect the temp sensor.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »
where are you located?
looks like maybe New Mexico going on the style of house?
(knowing that will help in the advice given re siting of the station)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline booboo

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »
Hereford AZ, right on the border.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
Yes, the problem with the Vue is that all the sensors are together
however you could probably separate the windspeed sensor somehow and run wires to that?
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline booboo

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »
Does the pro 2 allow you to put the temp sensor somewhere else?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Sort of.  A second (or 3rd or 4th etc.) can be added.  But they do not have the same resolution (.5 C degrees instead of 1/10ths.)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »
Does the pro 2 allow you to put the temp sensor somewhere else?

Do you mean the temp/rain sensors or do you mean temp and rain separate?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline booboo

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
I am worried that the temp sensor will be effected by the sun or heat off the roof.   The roof has a white UV resistant coating that reflects the heat.  The Lacross I have now reads up to 10 degrees or more higher than actual when the sun hits it.  Because of this I was thinking that I would move the temp sensor off the roof. 

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »
The VP2 can separate the anemometer from the rain collector/temp-hum sensor by up to 40' with the included anemometer cable.  Additional cable can be added or a separate anemometer transmitter can be added to separate the anemometer from the rest of the ISS by even greater distance.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 10:17:06 PM »
I am worried that the temp sensor will be effected by the sun or heat off the roof.   The roof has a white UV resistant coating that reflects the heat.  The Lacross I have now reads up to 10 degrees or more higher than actual when the sun hits it.  Because of this I was thinking that I would move the temp sensor off the roof. 

My VP2 is on a black tar and rock roof. I have never seen a discrepancy in temps. Even in the 100+ days this summer.
http://weather.rms.rdale.org/about.php

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 10:17:52 PM »
    I have my VP2 on the roof of my house.  It is mounted in the Ambient tripod with an extension added.  It sits about 10' above the peak.  My temps, and I don't have a FARS, are spot on with other sensors around the property and with the airport near here.  So my roof does not appear to affect my temp readings. Hallelujah!!!

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
If you can get the sensor high enough above the roof, it shouldn't affect the temperature.  Also, you can put the ISS in the yard and the anemometer on the roof.  As previously said, there's a 40' cord you can attach it with, or you can also get the anometer transmitter and have as much distance between the sensors as you'd like.  Personally, I like the ISS close to the ground.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
Also, you can put the ISS in the yard and the anemometer on the roof.  As previously said, there's a 40' cord you can attach it with, or you can also get the anometer transmitter and have as much distance between the sensors as you'd like.  Personally, I like the ISS close to the ground.

That's what I did. I first wanted to connect them with a 100 foot wire, but decided to just opt for the wireless anemometer transmitter instead. I ran the 40 foot cable down to a location where I could change the transmitter battery when needed. Anemometer is on a Radio Shack tripod and ten foot mast on second floor roof.

Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline booboo

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 11:23:01 PM »
I am going to try the Pro 2 on the roof.  If I fee it is not accurite I will get the wireless anemometer transmitter.  Thanks for the advise.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 12:15:46 AM »
Good luck with the Pro2. I got mine not too long ago. They're excellent stations. You might want to look around the neighborhood and see if anyone has a pro2 or Vue within the 1000', and have your ISS on channel 2 and the console set to listen to the Vue as a temp/hum station. That's what I have with mine.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline booboo

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »
I ended up getting the Davis Pro 2 and plan to get it installed tomorrow.   I can't see how this connects to my computer I can't find any info in the manulals.   It must be wifi but I can't find any details about it in the manual.  Can anyone help?

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
you need weatherlink to connect to a PC
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline booboo

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 10:49:27 PM »
Can you buy a cable to connect the console to a USB port without buying additional software?

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 11:08:06 PM »
Can you buy a cable to connect the console to a USB port without buying additional software?

That's the Davis' "Gotcha!".  You have to buy a datalogger to connect the console to the computer.  There's a software disc that comes with the hardware.  You can get a USB or Serial datalogger.  Or you can get the WLIP datalogger (I don't have one of those, so I can't tell you much about it).  Anyways, it's gonna be about $120 or more to connect to the computer (unless you can build one of the wireless connector things described elsewhere on this forum).

However, you don't have to run the weatherlink software.  I only start mine once/month to download the data for backup purposes.  I use WUHU software for my day-to-day uploading.

Good luck!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 11:08:39 PM »
Not to a USB port AFAIK.  Works for a serial port though.  PM Sloweather for details.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 11:19:50 PM »
its such a common question maybe there could be a FAQ?
Brian
info@weather-display.com

anything