Author Topic: Homemade Weather Station using a Raspberry Pi  (Read 74351 times)

Offline cburkins

Re: Homemade Weather Station using a Raspberry Pi
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
Nicholas, interesting updates, thanks for sharing your progress, it's fun to follow along !

As for myself, I'm moving along slowly.  I've got an ADS1015.   I did the soldering to attach the pins.  Given that I'm not an experienced solderer, it was pretty touch-and-go, but seems that all four data pins work when wired up to a potentiometer.   Reading it via I2C and the Adafruit Python libraries.  Success !

Next, I setup a DHT22 and am successfully reading both temperature and humidity.  Success again !

Not sure where I'm headed next, but enjoying the journey.

-Chad

Offline weathernick

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
Webcam and temperature/rh fun.

I have added a C500 Logitech web cam to my weather station. The camera is inside a flood light enclosure and mounted near the station facing North. Here are some notes on what I have learned in the process of adding the camera.
1.) USB traffic on the RPi eats up a lot of cpu cycles. I collect one 1280x1024 image every 2 minutes and I am at 85% Load (anything past 70% causes the CPU to overlock to 900mhz) This was a lot more then I originally thought it would be and shattered my dreams of two once a minute web cameras. 85% Load is about the max I want to take the system.

2.) Wunderground sucks with respect to updates. I send webcam images every 2 minutes but they are always old or even shows I am offline half the time. Not sure if there is anything better as I do like their weather display so I guess I am stuck.

I also have been working on a sensor lockup issue I have had with the Temp/RH sensor. I have rebooted the RPi to clear the error and it has no effect. I have to shut down the system complete and disconnect the power. Then once powered back up the sensor works again. I think the sensor just locked up and needs to be power cycled. My latest modification involved using the GPIO port to provide power to the sensor. This effectively gives me a switching power port as the GPIO can be turned off and on via software and can power a device up to 16ma (temp/rh sensor is 10ma). I now have code that checks to see if the sesnor is reporting, if not then it turns off the sensor wait 5 seconds and turns it back on. I am hoping this fixes the problem but only time will tell.

Finally buy a good 2am chargers. I got one off Amazon and it turns out it doesn't output the full 2amp so my instability problems a little while back was all around power.

Now the station is mostly done with the only things left is moving the solar and precip sensor to their final home. Now I will see how long the station can go without being power cycled. I am hoping months, but we shall see.
PWS: Custom built with Raspberry Pi collecting the data from the sensors.
CWOP: EW5462
Wunderground: KAZYUMA27
Personal WX page: http://mccolls.weewx.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

Offline weathernick

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 11:12:32 PM »
Using the GPIO(*) interface as "programmable power" to the T/RH sensor(s) is a smart 'power-saving' technique, which can ALSO reduce the sensor(s) susceptibility to noise as well as "self-heating", ie: only "wake-up" the T/RH sensor device when it's time for a reading.

(*) GPIO = General Purpose Input/Ouput, an older, legacy, Hewlett-Packard-originated parallel-interface, characterized by user-defined pin input/output direction assignment.

Exactly!!! I am not sure why it didn't think of it sooner. Granted this only works with low power sensors and only those that are powered by 3v3. But my freezing problems with the sensor has gone away and temperature and humidity have been solid. I thought I would have plenty of GPIO for this project but it is turning out they are very handy and I only have a few left.

I wasn't as worried about sensor heat up as this device is in a FARS and the sensor is only sampled every 5 seconds but still is nice to not give more power than what is required for the temperature sensor. Every little bit helps in getting an accurate reading.

Offline weathernick

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »
Here are some more pictures of the setup. The tipping rain gauge and the pyranometer will move next to the manual raingauge in the fall.

The control center. There is a GFI socket in there along with my homemade datalogger board connected to a Raspberry Pi.

The FARS with the solar sensor attached to the top (temporarily). You can also see the Rainwise tipping rain bucket on the roof while I test it.

My manual gauge and the future home of the tipping gauge and solar sensor.

The wind sensor on the roof. It is only about 3-4 feet above the ridgeline and that is as far as my ladder gets me. It will do for now.

Also I am trying out github for posting the weewx web page. You can find it here http://weathernick.github.io

Nickolas
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:41:28 PM by weathernick »

Offline danb35

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
(*) GPIO = General Purpose Input/Ouput, an older, legacy, Hewlett-Packard-originated parallel-interface, characterized by user-defined pin input/output direction assignment.
I think you're confusing GPIO with GPIB, formerly known as HPIB (the B in both cases representing Bus), which is/was what you described.  GPIO are general purpose I/O pins on the rPi, and don't (as a group) conform to any other specification.  They're described as GPIO to distinguish them from the more specific I/O ports like USB, Ethernet, etc.

Offline weathernick

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
Station is dead!!!

Pause for dramatic effect.

Ok so I was checking the temperature/humidity sensor to find out why my humidity is wrong and I accidentally shorted the GPIO port with 12v.  ](*,) As such the Raspberry Pi is dead... Good thing those are cheap! New one should be here Sept 24th. I am beefing up the wiring in the FARS to prevent the short from happening again. Also running the fan off of 5 volts as it moves plenty of air and is silent. Lesson learned.

I am also working with adafruit to see why my AM2315 is giving me to low an RH value. More to follow i am sure.

Nickolas

Offline geofb13

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »
Oh no, that sucks to hear. Hopefully you can figure out what's going on with your humidity sensor and get it all fixed by the time your new Pi comes.

Offline weathernick

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »
Oh no, that sucks to hear. Hopefully you can figure out what's going on with your humidity sensor and get it all fixed by the time your new Pi comes.

Ultimately it looks like the AM2315 just isn't going to work out for me. The first probe was DOA and the second one looks like it has damage to the RH sensor. My plan it to integrate an SHT25 if I can find it on a breakout board. Otherwise I might try the SHT75 but I haven't found any code for it for the Raspberry Pi.

Offline geofb13

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
I haven't used this one, but from the specs it seems similar to the SHT21.

I'd guess that you've probably looked at all of these already though but here's the link.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12064

Offline weathernick

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 12:50:09 PM »
I haven't used this one, but from the specs it seems similar to the SHT21.

I'd guess that you've probably looked at all of these already though but here's the link.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12064
Yea I live on sparkfuns site. :) Part of my requirement was an RH probe that was in the 2% or below range. This proble is the HTU21 which has 3% humidity accuracy. In reality I don't think I would care much but still for a few dollars more I can get below 2%. Just not sure how hard it is going to be to intergrate into the RPi.

Offline geofb13

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 01:40:09 PM »
Understandable and I figured you had probably been well aware of that part. I'll keep checking back in to see how things progress, and good luck!

Edit: One last idea haha. Also possible that you've already seen it.

http://www.emartee.com/product/42288/SHT25%20Digital%20Humidity&Temperature%20Sensor
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:01:35 PM by geofb13 »

Offline weathernick

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 05:39:39 PM »
This 'train-of-thought' makes me wonder, are there any better (more accurate) Temp / Humidity sensors than the Sensirion SHT25?

http://www.sensirion.com/fileadmin/user_upload/customers/sensirion/Dokumente/Humidity/Sensirion_Humidity_SHT25_Datasheet_V3.pdf

Outside of RM young, Vaisala, or Campbell Scientific. I am not sure they make a chip that has better specs than 1.8%. I checked Mouser and Digi-key and all they sell is Honeywell which doesn't beat the SHT25.

We will see if anyone else can find something.

Offline drsprite

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »
Sorry to hear your station went down! Hopefully it's back up now!

I'm working on a Raspberry Pi weather station too, and have a question. I'm using the Wind Vane from Sparkfun's Weather Meters. It's an analog reading, but the GPIO is digital.

Do you have any tips on how I can read the analog results from the Vane on the digital Raspberry Pi?

Offline weathernick

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2014, 12:06:25 PM »
Sorry to hear your station went down! Hopefully it's back up now!

I'm working on a Raspberry Pi weather station too, and have a question. I'm using the Wind Vane from Sparkfun's Weather Meters. It's an analog reading, but the GPIO is digital.

Do you have any tips on how I can read the analog results from the Vane on the digital Raspberry Pi?

Station just came back up. RH is toast so I need to scope out a new sensor but other than that she is back to her old self.

In my head I am thinking about version 2.0 of my weather station and in it I will have the ADC from adafruit. https://www.adafruit.com/products/1085 Now you can add all kind of chips but this one is I2c and has sample code for the RPi. While expensive it will give 4 16bit analog ports to your RPi. You could get the next model down if you only plan on sampling wind speed and direction. I recommend 16 bit for future expansion.

You could save some money and just buy a ADC chip but it will take some effort to intergrate and coding could be a problem.

Let me know how the wind sensor works. They posted it a few weeks after I already got my stuff.

Nickolas

Offline drsprite

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2014, 10:14:54 PM »
I'll check out that board from adafruit. Looks pretty simple and straight forward.

Another question on your setup - how did you integrate with weewx? I can't find any documentation on "3rd party" stations reporting to it.

Offline weathernick

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
I'll check out that board from adafruit. Looks pretty simple and straight forward.

Another question on your setup - how did you integrate with weewx? I can't find any documentation on "3rd party" stations reporting to it.

Intergration with weewx is the tricky part. You need to first collect the data from the sensors via code on the RPi and save it as a ascii file. I have my station do it every second. That file will look like this
2014-09-27 12:00:10,34.3,10.0,340,10.2,900.3, etc....
2014-09-27 12:00:11,34.1,10.2,341,12.4,900.8,etc...

Python2 is the language of choice but you can pick whatever works for you.

Second you will need to create a weewx driver that takes the ascii file and transfers it to weewx. At this point weewx takes over and creates the webpage and transfers your data to wunderground and CWOP. I have included my driver, feel free to use it but it is very simple at this point.

Code: [Select]
#
#    $Revision: 1 $
#    $Author: Nickolas McColl $
#    $Date: 2014-08-16 $
#
"""Raspberry Pi driver for the weewx weather system"""

from __future__ import with_statement
# import math
import time
#import weedb
#import weeutil.weeutil
import weewx.abstractstation
import weewx.wxformulas

def loader(config_dict, engine):
    import weewx.units
    altitude_m = weewx.units.getAltitudeM(config_dict)

station = Raspberry_pi(altitude = altitude_m, **config_dict['Raspberry_pi'])

return station

class Raspberry_pi(weewx.abstractstation.AbstractStation):
    """Station using Raspberry Pi"""

def __init__(self, **stn_dict):
        self.altitude = stn_dict['altitude']
        self.loop_interval = float(stn_dict.get('loop_interval'))

def genLoopPackets(self):
        import weewx.units

while True:
            start_time = time.time()

# Create Loop packet
            f = open('/home/weewx/bin/wxdata.csv')
            input = f.readline()
            f.close()   
            data = input.split(',')
            if len(data) == 13: # data line is complete, process
                for i in range(1, (len(data))):
                    try:
                        data[i] = float(data[i])
                    except ValueError:
                        data[i] = None     

raw_time =time.strptime(data[0], "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

_packet = {'dateTime': int(time.mktime(raw_time)),
                           'usUnits' : weewx.METRIC,
                           'pressure' : data[1],
                           'windSpeed' : data[12], #use 3 second average
                           'windGust' : data[12], #use 3 second average
                           'windDir' : data[3],
                           'windGustDir' : data[3],
                           'outTemp' : data[4],
                           'outHumidity' : data[5],
                           'rain': data[6],
                           'radiation' :data[9],
                           'inTemp' : data[11]}

_packet['dewpoint']  = weewx.wxformulas.dewpointC(_packet['outTemp'], _packet['outHumidity'])
                _packet['barometer'] = weewx.wxformulas.sealevel_pressure_Metric(_packet['pressure'], self.altitude, _packet['outTemp'])
                _packet['altimeter'] = weewx.wxformulas.altimeter_pressure_Metric(_packet['pressure'], self.altitude)
                _packet['heatdeg'] = weewx.wxformulas.heating_degrees(_packet['outTemp'], 18.333)
                _packet['cooldeg'] = weewx.wxformulas.cooling_degrees(_packet['outTemp'], 18.333)
                _packet['heatindex'] = weewx.wxformulas.heatindexC(_packet['outTemp'], _packet['outHumidity'])

yield _packet

sleep_time = (start_time - time.time()) + self.loop_interval
            if sleep_time > 0:
                  time.sleep(sleep_time)

def hardware_name(self):
        return "raspberry_pi"

Enjoy,

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
FWIW, you may be able to find some help toward the end of this writeup by forum user nincehelser, describing how he imported Acu-Rite network bridge data into weewx on a Raspberry Pi:

http://nincehelser.com/ipwx/
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline drsprite

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 12:53:13 PM »
This is all a great help to get started, thanks! I have most of my sensors configured and ready to go. I just need to modify my Python to save to a csv - should be simple enough.

However, I'm still learning Python and weewx is also new to me. Your driver is pretty readable, so I think I follow *most* of it, but I'm stuck on defining it in weewx.conf and getting weewx to start.

I have this set in weewx.conf and it fails to start. Thoughts?

station_type = Raspberry_pi
EDIT: Figured it out. I had to add a [Raspberry_pi] section to the weewx.conf file and defined the driver to use as     driver = weewx.drivers.Raspberry_pi
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:01:36 PM by drsprite »

Offline weathernick

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
This is all a great help to get started, thanks! I have most of my sensors configured and ready to go. I just need to modify my Python to save to a csv - should be simple enough.

However, I'm still learning Python and weewx is also new to me. Your driver is pretty readable, so I think I follow *most* of it, but I'm stuck on defining it in weewx.conf and getting weewx to start.

I have this set in weewx.conf and it fails to start. Thoughts?

station_type = Raspberry_pi
EDIT: Figured it out. I had to add a [Raspberry_pi] section to the weewx.conf file and defined the driver to use as     driver = weewx.drivers.Raspberry_pi

Excellent. Let me know how it goes and if you find any bugs/issues.

Thanks,

Nickolas

Offline weathernick

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »

Ultimately it looks like the AM2315 just isn't going to work out for me. The first probe was DOA and the second one looks like it has damage to the RH sensor. My plan it to integrate an SHT25 if I can find it on a breakout board. Otherwise I might try the SHT75 but I haven't found any code for it for the Raspberry Pi.

I have ordered the Embedded Adventures SHT25 temperature and humidity sensor. The Breakout board is just the right size to fit inside my FARS. I will install a SF2 filter to keep the contaminates down. The communications is i2c like the AM2315 but there is support code for Python2. This will allow me to have one piece of code drive all the weather sensors.

Pictures to follow once the sensor arrives.

Offline drsprite

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 12:15:02 PM »
Great! Looking forward to it. I am using the DHT22 for temp/humidity, but am open to other suggestions since the DHT can be a little slow on reading intervals.

My weewx driver is coming along as well. Thanks for your help! I tried your CSV solution, but found it to be a little out-of-sync with the Python script that polls the sensors and writes the CSV, and weewx checking the CSV. Sometimes there was stale data in there. So I opted to have all my sensor checks performed in the Python weewx driver itself. So far it's been a couple of days and is working pretty well. I even have an LED wired up to a GPIO pin so I know when the driver begins the poll, and ends the poll (or gets stuck).

Little bit of bad news: I'm using the Sparkfun weather meters and my Wind Vane broke (which also has my anemometer broken, too, since it shares the wiring). :( So I'm working through that (either a replacement, or look to purchase inexpensive upgrades). Another hurdle to overcome :)

Offline weathernick

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »
Great! Looking forward to it. I am using the DHT22 for temp/humidity, but am open to other suggestions since the DHT can be a little slow on reading intervals.

My weewx driver is coming along as well. Thanks for your help! I tried your CSV solution, but found it to be a little out-of-sync with the Python script that polls the sensors and writes the CSV, and weewx checking the CSV. Sometimes there was stale data in there. So I opted to have all my sensor checks performed in the Python weewx driver itself. So far it's been a couple of days and is working pretty well. I even have an LED wired up to a GPIO pin so I know when the driver begins the poll, and ends the poll (or gets stuck).

Little bit of bad news: I'm using the Sparkfun weather meters and my Wind Vane broke (which also has my anemometer broken, too, since it shares the wiring). :( So I'm working through that (either a replacement, or look to purchase inexpensive upgrades). Another hurdle to overcome :)

Hmm I never noticed any stale data but than again I sample ever second so I guess I assumed a few stale lines won't really hurt. Also it could be that I sample my sensors at the 1/2 second mark. It takes about 0.05 to 0.08 seconds to collect the data and write the CSV file which will be more than enough time to close the file out before Weewx tries to read. It is possible that hack prevents the stale files but I will check regardless. Also since it takes a fraction of a second to sample the sensors I have it sleep one second minus the fraction of the second. This prevents drift and keeps samples set to the 1/2 second mark.

I love the idea of having the weewx driver do it all, let me know how that goes. That might be helpful to someone who just wants something to work straight out of the gate given a predetermine set of sensors.

Bad news indeed on the wind vane. :( I love my wind sensors but those suckers are not cheap at all. I will have to say they have been the most stable performer in my weather station after I smoothed the gust to 3 second averages. Nice thing about these stations you can just add stuff as you go.

Good luck and thanks for the feedback.

Offline thorn

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2015, 08:16:48 AM »

Any updates on your DIY station? I'm thinking about building a DIY weather station also. I have been playing around with some temp, baro, & humidity sensors.

Thanks, Greg

Offline weathernick

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2015, 09:28:55 AM »
Some updates:

My station has been running for over 9 months now and here are the list of events that have occurred:

1.) Temperature/humidity sensor is doing great with the new sht sensor. CWOP shows the sensor has been stable for the last 5 months.

2.) Lightning sensor is turned on but I am not sure if it is working well. More debugging will be needed during our thunderstorm season.

3.) I was getting fake precip during thunderstorm events. I debugged this to noise coming in on the precip data line. The GPIO pins are very sensitive and if your cable is long enough you can induce a voltage to trip the sensor. I put a capacitor on the GPIO pin and it has helped. I think I will need to add a resistor which will make it a RC Filter.

4.) Made a mistake in mounting my wind direction sensor and water got into the sensor. Just be careful if you are creative on mounting sensors. They need to be protected from the elements at all cost.

Other than that the system has been running every second with very little down time.

I did mount some of my sensors(precip and pyro) out in the yard and they have been working well. Outside the precip problem but I am close to fixing that.

Offline thorn

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2015, 10:34:30 AM »
Some updates:

My station has been running for over 9 months now and here are the list of events that have occurred:

4.) Made a mistake in mounting my wind direction sensor and water got into the sensor. Just be careful if you are creative on mounting sensors. They need to be protected from the elements at all cost

Thanks for the update.

I thought the wind direction sensors were sealed. How did the Rasp Pi do in the hot weather? I worry that it might get too hot in a case during the summer. There are lots of details to work out! Do you have a detail description online?

Thanks, Greg

anything