Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue Rain Tipper Problems  (Read 3534 times)

Offline otronics

Davis Vantage Vue Rain Tipper Problems
« on: July 28, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
Hello.

I haven't long purchased a Davis Vantage Vue and for 4/5 months it has been fine.

However, the rain tipper isn't working properly.

It is hardly registering any rain if at all.

We have had rain yesterday (looking at nearby stations, an average of 6mm) and my station hasn't registered any.

I have looked at the rain tipper and it seems OK.

I did clean it although it wasn't very dirty.

I've also slowly poured lots of water (two full watering cans) into the funnel and this only registered 0.4mm where it should have been many millimeters.

How does the tipping spoon work? Is there a reed switch somewhere?

Thanks.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Davis Vantage Vue Rain Tipper Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 09:34:35 PM »
Hello.

I've also slowly poured lots of water (two full watering cans) into the funnel and this only registered 0.4mm where it should have been many millimeters.

How does the tipping spoon work? Is there a reed switch somewhere?

Thanks.

Yes there is a reed switch, at least on the VP2, that can be readily changed if you know how to use a soldering gun. I had a similar problem and Davis sent one to me for free and my station was out of warranty. However, I ended up changing the entire rainbase—about $50. Not sure whether changing a reed switch on a Vue works the same way as the VP2.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:05:33 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:49 PM »
Problem is that it's a Vue ISS, not VP2. VP2 can be easily broken down to replace parts, the Vue, not so much.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:30:32 AM »
I haven't long purchased a Davis Vantage Vue and for 4/5 months it has been fine....

Sounds like it's still within warranty. Assuming that the funnel is properly clean and that the tipping spoon assembly is correctly installed then best guess is a new wiring harness needed under warranty - it's not practical to do anything else on a recent Vue ISS.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
The electronics in the Vue are an all-on-one board replacement. It's possible there's something wrong with the tipping spoon but that's less likely. Either way you should contact Davis directly. I purchased a replacement board from Davis after the warranty period 2 years ago for about $90 for a problem with my rain sensor. Next time I'll just purchase a new ISS.

Offline otronics

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »
I have contacted Davis a few days back. Not heard anything yet but worth getting opinions on here so thanks for that.

Interestingly, going here: http://www.davisweather.co.uk/about-davis and clicking 'download and complete this form' (the form for reporting faults) returns a dead link!

Yes - still in warranty.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 09:02:45 PM »
Try removing and reseating the spoon cartridge taking note of the contact/sensor element on the main board for any growth/dirt/moisture etc and double check the round counter weight on the end of the spoon.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 03:23:35 AM »
I have contacted Davis a few days back. Not heard anything yet but worth getting opinions on here so thanks for that.

Interestingly, going here: http://www.davisweather.co.uk/about-davis and clicking 'download and complete this form' (the form for reporting faults) returns a dead link!

Yes - still in warranty.

Sounds like you might be in the UK? If so, then your supplying dealer is your first point of contact for service - you may need to persist with them if necessary - it is their responsibility.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 08:10:09 AM »
As johnd, said, be persistent...the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline otronics

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 08:11:51 AM »
Will do.

Yes - I am in the UK.

Offline otronics

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »
I've had a replacement sent so will fit that in the comings days to see if it makes any difference.

It seems very simple and there isn't much that can go wrong.

How does it convert the tips into data for the ISS?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 10:13:33 PM »
How does it convert the tips into data for the ISS?

Basically multiplies the tips by an imperial (0.01") or metric (0.2mm) factor of the tipping spoon model. Rain rate is based on timing the tipping spoon cycles.   

Offline otronics

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 06:05:53 AM »
How does the rain tipper talk to the ISS though as there are no cables or anything?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 06:52:29 AM »
How does the rain tipper talk to the ISS though as there are no cables or anything?

Basically the same principle as a magnetic reed switch, no contact required, that little round button/counter-weight on the other end of the spoon arm triggers a sensor on the main board.

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »
Likely, a reed switch that is faulty, as another post referenced.  I had this happen too.  I switched over to a VUE a few years ago and I have noticed that it overclocks in heavy rains-- as if the spoon is double tapping.  I also have a COCORAHS gauge on my property to check it by.

Offline otronics

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 08:58:52 AM »
Indeed.

I have been sent a new rain tipper to try but I think it is the ISS itself that is faulty.

Offline wesleyremmel

• My Glendale Arizona Weather Station
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 08:46:26 PM »
FYI and more examples...my spoon on my Davis Vue was full of Arizona desert mud and was NOT registering rain amounts.
Bought a spare from Davis and will now religiously clean as needed. Also bowl strainer too needs cleaning.
www.myglendalewxs.com