Author Topic: What Should I buy  (Read 2432 times)

Offline calvey

What Should I buy
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »
Hello -  I am looking to get a "starter" station to see if this is something that I like. 

I have been looking at OS WMR200A but haven't made a final decision.

Requirements:
- Wireless
- Indoor/outdoor temps
- wind guage
- rain guage
- Eventually pool temp (not required immediately)
- Posting to the internet like Weatherunderground or possible an Iphone app (so I can monitor).
- Solar juice
- $200-300

I just read the reviews and it seems like the OS only gets moderate praise, but it is in the right placing for pricing. 

Thanks

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: What Should I buy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I have never heard it put like that but the fact that you wanted one in the first place and did some research tells me that you would indeed like it.
If that station is in your price range then take the plunge. I think once you do get it you are going to want some more toys to go with it. Further down the road if you want to upgrade you always can.
You'll need software to display the data.
Weather Display and Virtual Weather Station are the most popular. You can also get Weatherlink, Cumulus, and Weatherview 32.
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 05:05:22 PM »
OS 968 was my starter station. Still going strong along side my Davis.  That is one I would consider too for this price range. (the 968).

Advice regardless if you go 200 or 968, stay away from floating thermometer for pool.  Get the probe cable one for going the pool temp.  The floater is absolute junk.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 09:22:16 PM »
Hi Calvey.  I have the WMR200 and really like it.  After a little tinkering here and there, and making sure my sensors are in the absolute correct locations and mounted to specs, it has really become a great and accurate station.  I added the UV Sensor to mine.  Really helpful in the spring and summer.  I also purchased the internet version of VWS and it's what I use for my website.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:38:37 PM »
   I also would recommend the OS WMR968.  It was my first station and it served valiantly and was accurate once I replace the original Temp/Hum sensor.  And, even though I now have a Davis I am going to pull the 968 out of dry-dock and put it back in service.  It breaks my heart to see it sitting in it's box with nothing to do. :-(  Good Luck!!!!

Offline calvey

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:39:04 PM »
Thanks all for the info!

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
I to have the 968 and I've been quiet happy with it.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

anything