Author Topic: Beam me up Scotty!  (Read 1753 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Beam me up Scotty!
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:44:05 AM »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Beam me up Scotty!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »
   That is cool Dan!  Most observatories use some kind of laser as an artificial star on their adaptive optics systems.  You can buy Adaptive Optics for amateur telescopes but they do not use a laser in that fashion as that may be a bit dangerous.  Here is a link to one.  I use a laser that is for collimating the mirrors of my 12" reflector as a pointer when I am showing people stars and things in the sky.  Not that bright but nobody can miss it.  I have seen the dot from it on the screen of the drive in theater about 3/4 mile across the field with binocs.  I am pretty sure I would be able to see it a mile or more away.  I am always too nervous doing it though since State Route 2 runs in front of the drive in and I would hate to have it hit someone. 
   Here is a link to an amateur adaptive optics system.  Kind of cool the way it works.  you are into the tech stuff so you might like it.
http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Accessories/Orion-SteadyStar-Adaptive-Optics-Guider/pc/-1/c/4/sc/61/p/53076.uts

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »
Very cool, Dan.  I want one, too.  It makes me think we really need to figure out how to extract energy from plasma for the warp engines, but have to have a magnetic container for that, among other "minor" things, plus get the Heisenberg compensator working so we have beaming capable, too. :)

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 05:50:46 PM »
   That is cool Dan!  Most observatories use some kind of laser as an artificial star on their adaptive optics systems.  You can buy Adaptive Optics for amateur telescopes but they do not use a laser in that fashion as that may be a bit dangerous.  Here is a link to one.  I use a laser that is for collimating the mirrors of my 12" reflector as a pointer when I am showing people stars and things in the sky.  Not that bright but nobody can miss it.  I have seen the dot from it on the screen of the drive in theater about 3/4 mile across the field with binocs.  I am pretty sure I would be able to see it a mile or more away.  I am always too nervous doing it though since State Route 2 runs in front of the drive in and I would hate to have it hit someone. 
   Here is a link to an amateur adaptive optics system.  Kind of cool the way it works.  you are into the tech stuff so you might like it.
http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Accessories/Orion-SteadyStar-Adaptive-Optics-Guider/pc/-1/c/4/sc/61/p/53076.uts

That's a good idea with how they do that. That would have to use a very high quality lensing system to work like that.  At first when I saw the price I thought OMG! but after reading the technology behind it's function, that's not really a bad price at all. Pretty neat. Thanks Mark.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »
Very cool, Dan.  I want one, too.  It makes me think we really need to figure out how to extract energy from plasma for the warp engines, but have to have a magnetic container for that, among other "minor" things, plus get the Heisenberg compensator working so we have beaming capable, too. :)

John

I guess besides having to have a special permit to own/use something like that, you'd probably have to coordinate with air traffic for operating times.?.? especially using one near air traffic lanes/routes.

anything