Poll

Are you planning on still running Windows 7 past January 2020 after MS stops security updates?

I've been running Windows 10 for a while now.
I just recently upgraded knowing this deadline was coming.
I run MacOS.
I run Linux.
I didn't know that Windows 7 support was ending. Thank you I'll upgrade soon.
I didn't know that Windows 7 support was ending. I'm still not upgrading.
I know support is ending and I don't plan on on upgrading ever!
I will upgrade but not to Windows 10. I'm moving to Linux.
I will upgrade but not to Windows 10. I'm moving to MacOS.
I don't have a computer. I only use mobile device (Android, iOS).
I use a Chromebook device only
I'm still running XP!

Author Topic: POLL: Will you still run Windows 7 past January 2020 after MS stops updates?  (Read 846 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Windows 7 will turn into a pumpkin come January 14, 2020 as there will be no more Windows updates from Microsoft. This means no more security updates. Windows 7 will be like Windows XP and everything else before that, unsupported and at risk of getting compromised. Windows Vista support ended on April 2017 but nobody ran that so nobody cared.

Don't forget to vote above. Scroll up ^^^^^
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:04:24 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Win 95 here baby... :-"

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
I have one computer that runs it. Used for security cams..
Maybe they will offer one more free upgrade. Stupid for me to not do it before.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I have one computer that runs it. Used for security cams..
Maybe they will offer one more free upgrade. Stupid for me to not do it before.

Officially yes Microsoft stopped the free upgrade to Windows 10 a long time ago. But it still works:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

Yeah? What is that good for? Solitaire?
Tele-Pole

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Sorry, but Win 7 is running just fine.  I have limited use of that computer except to get Wx data and publish to the web site I run.

No incoming traffic except updates to a couple programs, mainly Weather Display.

I don't have the browser on constantly.

I only update Windows when I choose.

I have ZoneAlarm with the security stuff turned on.

I would hope my exposure to NEW security flaws found or potentially in Win 7 would be small.

I know a lot of cities and other organizations got caught flat footed by not installing updates that were available and got some lockouts and ransomware.

I'm not sure what degree that might occur with such a system as I'm running 7 on.  The other computers came with or were upgraded to Win10.

I like Chief, wonder if there will be one last 'free' upgrade to Win 10 just so MS can ride the high path to say they gave us 7 people all the chances they could.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
One of my laptops was 'in the queue' for upgrade but never happened !

It has a few things under the hood that no one else adopted so M$ win10 can't cope with some of its unique drivers and its manufacturer (ACER) never did any updates either.
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch

Yeah? What is that good for? Solitaire?
Actually, I believe I ran 95 til XP came along. The 15 year old XP desktop I still have is the backup for keeping my VP2 online when needed. 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Another forced business update model coming your way again and sooner then the last one, which was sooner than the one before that and then they will add an would you like a subscription with that for just about all software that will of course only run with this new business model, gee fancy that, who thought up that cash cow?

Like honestly what is really wrong with Win7/ It certainly works so much better than the more recent crap MS tried. And as far as updates are concerned, like how can any operating system and software run a 500mb monthly, each and every month, like how many holes does this MS stuff have through it. Won't mention Win8, monthly update size is simply insane 

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
My own PC and Laptop have been on Win10 for a long time. I got in on the Win8 (yuck), Win8.1 to Win10 upgrades for free since I was originally on the Win7 Beta eval. (I still think it was the best [for Windows], but I can live with Win10).

I just updated the wife's and sister-in-law's computers to Win10 last month.

I don't like the forced updates (although there are some workarounds), or the promotional junky games that they keep loading whether you want it or not. Being pestered to update when I am in the middle of something grinds my cookies  ](*,) :evil:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
I have a Asus ROG laptop purchased new in March 2009 that came with (and was still running) Windows Vista until about 6 months ago. I know Vista had a terrible reputation, but to be honest it always worked great for me and I saw no reason to upgrade to 7. However, after not getting browser updates or security updates for about 3 years, it was just getting to risky to keep running it. After having to disinfect it a couple of times I decided to retire it, thinking that a 10 YO Vista laptop probably wouldn't be compatible with Windows 10. Then I realized I had a spare W10 Pro activation key I had never used so I decided to give it a try just for giggles. To my amazement, it installed without incident and works just fine.

Speaking of forced updates in Win 10, none of my three Win 10 computers have forced the 1903 update so far. They are all still running the 1809 version.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 01:07:04 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
I use Win10 for ALL computers that access the internet; however, I use 'old-faithful' XP for my inside/stand-alone (Davis Envoy8X) weather computer. Why FIX what ain't broken?
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
I'm very much like DaleReid above. The computer that I use with my weather station is only used for that reason. I may not even turn the monitor on but once a month and that's just to restart my weather programs. Never get on there to surf the web. Other computers/tablets laying around the house for that. As of today everything is stable just like I want it. Never is a big word so I won't say that one day I won't run Windows 10 it's just not going to be in the next few months, at least on my weather computer.

Doug

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
I run one PC with W7 and that's for WD only. Everything else has Linux installed. I will not be updating the W7 PC!

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.