Author Topic: ANY ACURITE FOLKS - An update on the additional solar panels please???  (Read 1427 times)

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
I am a NWS meteorologist and have had an Acurite 01035 for a year and a half. Overall, I've been very pleased with the system, but the old "temperature spikes due to the sun not hitting the solar panel to power the aspirator" has once again reared its ugly head. It's a definite design flaw. I have spikes just after 8 am when the sun is to the east, and the aspirator is not running at the time. There is another spike right before noon and another around 4 pm. The rest of time, the temperatures are quite accurate, within +/- 2 degrees of our local ASOS about 5 miles away. The system is fairly out in the open, although there are a few trees to the south. Ryan of Acurite proposed adding additional solar panels to help this problem but I have heard nothing additional on that in almost a year now. I am trying turning the solar panel to the north (180 degrees) which some have suggested, although I doubt that will have much impact with the sun overhead or to the south most of the day. Can we get some sort of update on this issue since many seem to be experiencing it and its been over a year since we have heard anything??

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Hey there- sorry for the lack of information about this, we are currently climate and durability testing the dual panel option to make sure it meets quality standards, it does take some time to complete these test properly. We will release more information when we have solidified the design, I will see if I can gather some data to post here next week so you can see the results so far.

Thanks for your patience!

Ryan