Author Topic: Acu-Link Innards  (Read 1696 times)

Offline eas

Acu-Link Innards
« on: February 13, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »
For anyone curious about what is inside the Acu-Link bridge, I popped one open and snapped some photos, which I've posted to my blog.

A few highlights:
  • The thing doesn't have much in the way of brains. It has an 8-bit microcontroller with wired ethernet and a small amount of RAM and program storage.
  • As expected, the radio equipment includes the same 433MHz receiver module used in their weather station displays. Not expected, there is also a 433MHz transmitter module. It is unclear what the purpose is, perhaps it serves as a range extender?

I've found some people who are reverse engineering the radio communications. Looks like for $20-30 I can get an arduino + RX that would emit sensor readings over a serial port as they come in, which gives me a route to posting more frequent updates to WUnderground, as well as additional PWS networks.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Acu-Link Innards
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:31:55 PM »
Interesting info.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:10:16 AM »
Yes- interesting indeed ;)

Good write up- let me know if you have any questions- I will answer the ones I can.

Thanks!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »
I opened my bridge today and discovered the transmitter.  I came here hoping someone could explain why it is there.

I've got a strong suspicion that thing is firing up errantly and causing reception problems with my bridge.  I have heard it emit odd RF before, but I never thought it might be coming from an actual transmitter.

I'm thinking about disabling it to see if the problems go away.