Author Topic: 5 in 1 anemometer failed on me. :-(  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Bruinzfan

5 in 1 anemometer failed on me. :-(
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
I have my 5 in 1 on a 40' mast.  (I also have one on a 12' pole off of my porch as a back up.)  The one on the mast stopped reading in the middle of the blizzard.  While I could see the snow going by my window sideways and the 5 in 1 on my porch spinning away.  I went out with a flashlight and sure enough it was standing still.  (All other measurements were working accordingly.) 

I was hoping it was just frozen and with the temps above freezing today it would start working again.  No luck.  I'm really not looking forward to colapsing the mast with about 20" of snow on the ground.  :-/

Newb here!
Acu-Rite
38' Mast
Weather Display

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 5 in 1 anemometer failed on me. :-(
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »
I've heard of tapping the mast with a hammer to send 'shock waves' up, possibly freeing the sticky anemometer.?.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
I've heard of tapping the mast with a hammer to send 'shock waves' up, possibly freeing the sticky anemometer.?.

Just don't stick your tongue on it!   #-o

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »
For what it's worth, mine hasn't turned since Friday night either.  It looks like the snow is still blocking the cups.  The shocker was that it read -7 F for the low last night, despite being covered in an insulating layer of snow/ice.  That's the record low for this unit since I installed it in 2011.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »
My Davis VP2 and WMII thawed out at about 3pm today, don't have a clue what I had for wind through the 'Blizzard'. They froze up about 9pm Friday.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline Bruinzfan

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:24:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply everyone.  Makes me feel better that I am not alone.   Too bad, I was really looking forward to those wind readings.   Best advice I saw was related to my tongue!!   =D>

Except I found out the hard way when I was young!  LOL    :oops:

Thanks again!!

Newb here!
Acu-Rite
38' Mast
Weather Display

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »
FWIW, mine has finally shed the snow and is spinning normally again.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bruinzfan

Re: Re: 5 in 1 anemometer failed on me. :-(
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 04:14:49 AM »
Yup mine freed itself shortly after the responses.   The wind seemed to loosen the guy wires... Hmmm wonder how that happened?   Lol  That said it wasn't quite level up there either.   Probably didn't help the situation.   But all well now.   Thanks again!
Keith
Newb here!
Acu-Rite
38' Mast
Weather Display

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
Yeah- that's the bad part about our beloved snow- stacks up sometimes and stops up all the anemometers! I actually waxed my 5n1 housing with some NuFinish (the old standby in the orange bottle!) and it seems to help snow and ice "sluff off"  a bit sooner, if not preventing it from sticking too well in the first place.

Fortunately, the temperature and humidity chamber is fairly well ventilated for an all-in-one design, so it will not be affected by the snow cap in most instances.