Author Topic: Weather Underground Problems  (Read 3971 times)

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
Weather Underground Problems
« on: December 24, 2015, 09:50:50 PM »
It appears that WUG is completely off the tracks.  Not only do I get "dropped" from the site even though my data is good, I have now started getting multiple ads on the current conditions page even though I've paid my $10 fee for several years.  I've tried contacting their tech support but reaching a live human being there is next to impossible. 

I'm giving serious consideration to dropping them altogether and using an alternative weather site.  Other than CWOP (which I currently report to) does anyone have a suggestion?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Weather Underground Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:18:54 PM »
Weathercloud.net

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
Hi Harold,

I use PWS Weather. Joe is very good on support and has been around for a number of years.

Merry Christmas,

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 10:49:37 PM »
It appears that WUG is completely off the tracks.  Not only do I get "dropped" from the site even though my data is good, I have now started getting multiple ads on the current conditions page even though I've paid my $10 fee for several years.  I've tried contacting their tech support but reaching a live human being there is next to impossible. 

I'm giving serious consideration to dropping them altogether and using an alternative weather site.  Other than CWOP (which I currently report to) does anyone have a suggestion?

I was being bumped off every morning with good data uploading to WU for a couple months. When I contacted support a helpful Met. there named Kari responded and after some tweaking on their end got my station back in order. She explained that their QC algorithm program is being worked on still.

Offline Mtn_man

• Sunset Mountain Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 10:55:54 PM »
I had a problem earlier this year, but contacting them through email resolved the problem, and like DanS, the problem was with their QC program.  They responded pretty quickly to my email.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 12:46:51 AM »
Hi Harold,

I use PWS Weather. Joe is very good on support and has been around for a number of years.

Merry Christmas,

John

I agree.  WU has changed their display around so much I can't hardly stand to look at it any more.  PWS Weather is tabular and easy for me to read.  They are also part of WeatherForYou ( WeatherForYou.com ) and they read this forum ( http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=91.0 )

http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/TENMILE2.html
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 12:50:27 AM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »
My big gripe with PWSweather is that their import routine has a 3-5 minute delay from when I send data until they display it.  One of my uses for my own station is watching fronts and squall lines come through on radar while not home, and a 5-minute delay really makes it difficult to judge the moment they pass until well after they are through.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »

I never have paid WU anything for my ad free membership. It was my understanding that if you signed up a weather station, and contributed data that they comped your membership. Am I wrong on this?
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 08:44:11 PM »

I never have paid WU anything for my ad free membership. It was my understanding that if you signed up a weather station, and contributed data that they comped your membership. Am I wrong on this?
I've never paid them a dime, nor would I ever consider it.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »

That's always been my understanding.  I've never sent them any money.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 09:24:36 PM »

That is also my understanding and it has been this way for me for going on to 8 years.  If I happen to have logged out of WU and then go to the site (not logging in as a user/contributor) then I do see ads.

Paul

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 04:26:30 AM »
And same for me, no adds when I'm logged in.  If use the site through another computer I see adds until I log in.  Just experienced that last couple of days.

CW3699

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 04:48:28 AM »
also, if you use a PC cleaner program that wipes the cookies off your PC then your previous WU login/sign-in may get cleaned off and the next time you visit WU you'll see ads (until you sign back in).

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
I have been a WU user since they were at U-Michigan, and a paid subscriber from the day they started taking payments until the next renewal after I started feeding them PWS data when they converted my subscription to the free one.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Mtn_man

• Sunset Mountain Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 10:06:21 PM »
Never paid WU a nickle, never been solicited by WU for a single penny.

Offline iaflyer

• My PWSS
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
I was being bumped off every morning with good data uploading to WU for a couple months. When I contacted support a helpful Met. there named Kari responded and after some tweaking on their end got my station back in order. She explained that their QC algorithm program is being worked on still.
I've emailed the support twice at the general support email about my weather station not showing up on WU. (I've got an Acurite 5-in-1 and added the dual solar panel) I believe my data is good enough to show. No responses. Any suggestions or a more specific email address to use?

Thanks!

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMIANNAR59
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 04:27:34 PM by iaflyer »