Author Topic: On Line Skywarn Training  (Read 37956 times)

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
On Line Skywarn Training
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:27:50 PM »
Hi All,

Got this information from our NWS Office.

Check out the new online weather spotter training provided by MetEd (Meteorology Education).  This is an opportunity to expand your meteorological knowledge and hone your weather spotter skills!

The MetEd website provides education and training resources to benefit the operational forecaster community, university atmospheric scientists and students, and anyone interested in learning more about meteorology, weather forecasting, and related geoscience topics. MetEd is populated and maintained by the COMET® Program, which is part of the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research's (UCAR's) Community Programs (UCP). The MetEd website is made possible by the sponsors of the COMET® Program.

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_course.php?id=23

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: On Line Skywarn Training
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »
Stan,
  That is an excellent site for information and studying various weather topics. Haven't been there much since I'm taking the Penn State Forecasting courses.....

Jim

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
    Looks interesting.  I will have to check it out in more detail later.  Thanks!
  Mark

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
Thanks!  Be checking it out soon.  And if it's free....it's for me!!!!!

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:38:42 PM »
G-R-E-A-T! Its got a ton of material and its free! It must be Christmas! (Well, almost ;))
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 04:18:20 AM »
Just FWI information:

I took the course in full off MetED (scored 97%) but the Memphis NWS does not recognize it as "official" training and I suspect other NWS offices will not recognize either. They still want you to attend sit-in classes.

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 06:21:35 AM »
NWS/BOX ( Boston ) requires that you attend one actual class, after that you can do it online. I have redone mine 2 times online. VERY easy...
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 07:45:40 AM »
Just FWI information:

I took the course in full off MetED (scored 97%) but the Memphis NWS does not recognize it as "official" training and I suspect other NWS offices will not recognize either. They still want you to attend sit-in classes.

What course did you take?

The National Weather Association which hands out the Seal of Approvals to TV broadcasters uses the MetED Portal for those seeking the seal. Pretty hefty course materials.....

I have several certificates from MetED regarding the convective section...... But now I have the full Certificate in Forecasting fom Penn State so I only go back from time to time on the MetEd site for refresher material...

Jim

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:06:05 AM »
Just FWI information:

What course did you take?

The National Weather Association which hands out the Seal of Approvals to TV broadcasters uses the MetED Portal for those seeking the seal. Pretty hefty course materials.....

I have several certificates from MetED regarding the convective section...... But now I have the full Certificate in Forecasting from Penn State so I only go back from time to time on the MetEd site for refresher material...

Jim

I took the full SKYWARN course. Once completed I called the local NWS office to let them know I had completed the course. They recognize my previous SKYWARN training from the Pittsburgh NWS and allow me to keep my same SkyWarn ID (not required by Memphis NWS) but they require a sit in class as well. Per the Memphis SkyWarn Coordinator who states the reason they require a sit in is specifically and primarily so they can get contact information because they would most likely call you during events of interest.

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
Started and finished the MetEd UCAR training this evening. Had not had a sit in course since Waco a few years ago.  Contacted eSpotter to be signed up.  Hopefully DFW issues me a number.  The sit in training at Waco was so weak a few years ago they just had a sign in roster and handed xeroxed copies of blank certificates and told everyone you can write your name on there. No id number was ever issued. I did replicate the certificate into a nice looking one to hang on wall, post on line etc.  Anyway guidance used to be to take training every year. Do not know if that's still the case and I am late in the season...but better late than never  :grin:

Offline N8BMB

• Macomb County SkyWarn Director
    • N8BMB.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 12:17:29 AM »
This training format is not bad, however, I personally don't like it.

The fact that it takes away a "live" person is what I don't like.  As with most other types of training, when you have an "instructor" and you have a question, you get the answer right away.  With this online training, you don't have this.  If you have a question, you have to email for an answer and the response could be days.

As a refresher course, this is not a bad idea as you may have already had your questions answered from prior sessions.  Any changes to the program are usually minor and don't affect the overall program, at the least at the spotter level.  Most changes are to the training program itself and minor information is either removed or added, but the spotter and or reporting criteria rarely changes.

Just my 2 cents worth on this..........

Dennis - N8BMB

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
    • Monmouth County Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 12:43:41 AM »
I'd like to become a registered Skywarn spotter, but the training always seem to be 30 miles away from me. I just asked Mount Holly if they recognize this online training. I hope the answer is yes.
www.monmouthcountyweather.comUK Met Office: 45560463
Twitter: @John_N_WxCoCoRaHS: NJ-MN-64
CWOP: E1682Davis Vantage Vue, Pro2Plus w/24 hr FARS, Ambient Weather WS-1000
PWS/WFY: SOUTHARDNJCumulusMX
Wunderground: KNJHOWEL11
                       KNJHOWEL15
LiveATC: KWRI/KNEL/New York Center
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline N8BMB

• Macomb County SkyWarn Director
    • N8BMB.com
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:36:23 AM »
For anyone that wants to know the answer to the above question:

The skywarn training is good anywhere where the NWS has "jurisdiction".  ALL classes are the same, the only thing that differs is the area and geography.  Otherwise what they teach as far as weather and storms is no different from one area to the next.

Dennis - N8BMB

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
    • Monmouth County Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »
Well, NWS Mount Holly got back to me, and they said they do not accept this course as official Skywarn training. Here's their reply to my inquiry: https://twitter.com/NWS_MountHolly/status/489764633784246274
www.monmouthcountyweather.comUK Met Office: 45560463
Twitter: @John_N_WxCoCoRaHS: NJ-MN-64
CWOP: E1682Davis Vantage Vue, Pro2Plus w/24 hr FARS, Ambient Weather WS-1000
PWS/WFY: SOUTHARDNJCumulusMX
Wunderground: KNJHOWEL11
                       KNJHOWEL15
LiveATC: KWRI/KNEL/New York Center
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12