Author Topic: CW#### DW####  (Read 12045 times)

Offline afwxguy

CW#### DW####
« on: November 01, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »
So I want my data to go to more than wunderground (KILOFALL4)  and signed up with CWOP.   But I ended up with DW6135.  Why didn't I end up with a CW Identifier?
I'm trying to verify my data.. although I know its good.....

Comments

Offline afwxguy

Re: CW#### DW####
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
I thought you were joking... then i did a search..

Offline Petaris

• Frederic School District
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »
I signed up and I received a DWxxxx ID as well.
- Petaris
"The World is Open.  Are You?"

DW6850
RainWise MK-III RTI-LR
VWS 14.01
VWSaprs 2.0.0.9
ImageSalsa 2.0.13

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
It's simple.. more than 9999 folks signed up for CWOP, so they ran out of CW#### IDs and started the DW#### series.

Looks like we're less than 400 away from having to have a new xW#### set of IDs open up :)

BTW, when I signed up in 2004, I received CW1792 as the CWOP ID.. looks like a LOT of folks have gotten into personal weather stations since then.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
Ken,
Start a poll???
... will the next in the string be EW####  :-k

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
It's simple.. more than 9999 folks signed up for CWOP, so they ran out of CW#### IDs and started the DW#### series.

Looks like we're less than 400 away from having to have a new xW#### set of IDs open up :)

BTW, when I signed up in 2004, I received CW1792 as the CWOP ID.. looks like a LOT of folks have gotten into personal weather stations since then.

Best regards,
Ken
That's strange. I signed up in 2005 and I'm CW1118. :???:

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:44:32 PM »
Ken,
Start a poll???
... will the next in the string be EW####  :-k

Andrew

EWWWwwwww!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
What I'd like to know is, why are CW and DW stations treated differently? http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/cw.cgi I couldn't find a DW prefixed version of this.

See what happens when you click on this, http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/dw.cgi You expect to see the DW stations? Nope! You just get a, "Page cannot be found".                                                                          /\

(note; I switched the C in CW for a D.)                                  
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:06:58 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »
That would be a question for Steve Dimse at findu.com. Note that findu and CWOP are 2 entirely different entities.

What I'd like to know is, why are CW and DW stations treated differently? http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/cw.cgi I couldn't find a DW prefixed version of this.

See what happens when you click on this, http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/dw.cgi You expect to see the DW stations? Nope! You just get a, "Page cannot be found".                                                                          /\

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
There are also other identifiers in the CWOP system. Amateur radio operators are listed by their call sign. I'm in there as KD6DSI. You can see a members list at http://www.wxqa.com/members.txt .

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 05:51:10 PM »
There are also other identifiers in the CWOP system. Amateur radio operators are listed by their call sign. I'm in there as KD6DSI. You can see a members list at http://www.wxqa.com/members.txt .
I've thought about putting my WX Callsign as KF5KXT, but I got DW4088 before I became a ham, and Philip Gladstone stated by changed call sign, I'd lose all data. That for me isn't an option unless I use 2 callsigns for one location. But there's really no point to that. I'm happy with DW4088. Don't know if Findu counted on having more than 9999 stations since day one. Maybe the database isn't big enough. But then again that wouldn't make any sence being the data is displayed from the stations in the same format as, "nearest stations". And I doubt that has any has anything to do with the database directly. I really don't know. Maybe CWOP/Findu site hasn't been updated yet.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »
FWIW, the Active Members page shows 11,996 members, and the Inactive Members page 9,640 stations for a total of 21,636 total members.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 09:44:34 PM »

You could always drop Steve an email and ask him. Not sure where that is linked from, but it looks like a list of all weather reports from all CWOP stations? It's not in the list of supported cgi's, my guess would be that it is an old cgi that has either never been updated either because of lack of time, or purposely to limit the load on FindU.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 11:46:52 AM »
I use this list which shows all members including those like myself with DW#'s DW3379

http://www.wxqa.com/members.txt
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 11:59:40 AM »
They ran out of C codes, had to move on to D. Doesn't mean anything different.

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
When I first signed up around 3-4 years ago I got a CW number. Dropped out because I, like many others, was annoyed at being compared to local stations that may or may not be posting correct data. Anyway, got back in (unknown why) and got an AS number. Go figure, but it works.
John
W7JKG

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »

The NWS also has ID's for Amateur Radio licensee's that started off as APnnn. They are now up to AUnnn in the sequence.

NWSID  Call/CW           Location                  Name
=====  =======    ==========================    ==============
AP204  KD6DSI     San Luis Obispo, CA, US       Chris Arndt
AS061  W3DRM      Minden, NV, US                Don McRoberts

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 02:34:31 PM »

The NWS also has ID's for Amateur Radio licensee's that started off as APnnn. They are now up to AUnnn in the sequence.

NWSID  Call/CW           Location                  Name
=====  =======    ==========================    ==============
AP204  KD6DSI     San Luis Obispo, CA, US       Chris Arndt
AS061  W3DRM      Minden, NV, US                Don McRoberts

That nicely explains that...

AS882  W7JKG      Phoenix, AZ, US      John Gillett

Thanks for the link!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:36:20 PM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »
Actually, I think the Amateur Radio designations come about when you submit your weather data via the CWOP APRS-WX input. I may be wrong on that but it seems that everyone I've seen on the list shows up on findu.com. Here is John's datalink http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=w7jkg.

The special NWSID assignment comes about when you register as a ham operator with your callsign.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
Yeah, mine was assigned without my knowing it. I think I was sending wx data out via APRS before there were Igates and APRS servers, so they started getting my data when all that infrastructure was built.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »
Actually, I think the Amateur Radio designations come about when you submit your weather data via the CWOP APRS-WX input. I may be wrong on that but it seems that everyone I've seen on the list shows up on findu.com. Here is John's datalink http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=w7jkg.

The special NWSID assignment comes about when you register as a ham operator with your callsign.

Anyone with a Ham license can use their callsign as their primary ID, but they also get CW/DW/whatever is next ID.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 12:41:59 AM »
Why are people putting their real names out there like this?  Has everyone lost all sense of personal security?

There is no way in hell I'd put my real name, or even my initials out there in such an open way.  People gripe about the rampant identity theft epidemic and then they do things like this.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »
Why are people putting their real names out there like this?  Has everyone lost all sense of personal security?

There is no way in hell I'd put my real name, or even my initials out there in such an open way.  People gripe about the rampant identity theft epidemic and then they do things like this.

I'm guessing you are referring to the CWOP member lists... That's hardly anything compared to what people will put on Facebook or MySpace (both of which have a long history of security issues).

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »
There are a couple of other factors in play as well.

1) If you are a licensed radio amateur, your name and address are public info. Until a few years ago, your birth date was also part of the public record.

2) A lot of us signed up waaaay back when the Internet was a more innocent place.

I'm guessing you are referring to the CWOP member lists... That's hardly anything compared to what people will put on Facebook or MySpace (both of which have a long history of security issues).

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 12:34:58 AM »
Also, to sign-up via CWOP/APRS-WX feeds you must be a licensed amateur radio operator and use your callsign. Otherwise, I don't think you can feed your wx data to them using the APRS feed. Again, I may be wrong but that is how I understand it. Privacy of your personal name is lost when you do this...

There are a couple of other factors in play as well.

1) If you are a licensed radio amateur, your name and address are public info. Until a few years ago, your birth date was also part of the public record.

2) A lot of us signed up waaaay back when the Internet was a more innocent place.