Author Topic: Barometer Changes  (Read 4282 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Barometer Changes
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »
I'm sure this is an old story.  But here it goes anyway.  I noticed on my CWOP data page, my barometer has been creeping out of my usual .3 millibar discrepancy.  I'm still off about 1 - 1.5 millibar off of the airport, the nearest "official" station I can trust.  They are 270 feet lower and probably 8 miles away.

What I am suspecting is a new station, that is only a mile or so away from me, is throwing my quality control off.  He's about 60 feet lower, but showing just shy of 5 millibars off of mine.  He's a new station that recently cropped up.  He has a Davis station, so I would have to guess he doesn't have something configured right to be that far off of me.

Two years ago, I replaced a VP1 with my VP2 and my barometer didn't change hardly at all.  So I'm fairly certain I have my end configured right.  And I'm using VPLive to send my data.  So I shouldn't be having VWS related issues.

I'm sure there isn't much I can do.  But it still sucks.  I'm betting my MADIS check will fail soon, and it isn't anything I can do about it.

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/search?site=C2059&Get+information=Get+information

DW9195 is the "new" station.  He's still also running an old ham related weather station.  That station was also way off.  Sometime about a year ago, his barometer wasn't being reported any more.  Not sure why.  But that helped my quality checks also.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Barometer Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »
DW9195 is the "new" station.  He's still also running an old ham related weather station.  That station was also way off.  Sometime about a year ago, his barometer wasn't being reported any more.  Not sure why.  But that helped my quality checks also.

At the end of his qa summary page it says:

Questions for this weather station owner/operator to Karl

Perhaps you could shoot him an email and get him to straighten up?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:01 AM »
I just might do that.   What I don't understand is when you go to his weather quality check, his barometer shows OK also.  Technically even better than mine.  I just don't get that.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
I just might do that.   What I don't understand is when you go to his weather quality check, his barometer shows OK also.  Technically even better than mine.  I just don't get that.

He has a lot of missing data.  Perhaps that contributes to his rating.

Over the last 28 days, no data was seen on the following dates: 2012-02-01 to 2012-02-17, 2012-02-21 to 2012-02-26.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:28:33 PM »
My barometer comparison just keeps getting worse and worse while I am with in 0.08 of the local airport. I mean really - look at the analysis compared to my actual reading. It is all over the place by the minute.

anything