Author Topic: wmr200a wind sensor keeps dropping out  (Read 5905 times)

Offline oldryder

wmr200a wind sensor keeps dropping out
« on: November 13, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »
got a WMR200A unit recently.

got it all installed and everything was working fine.  the 1st nite the wind sensor dropped out but came back the next day.  this has happened several times.  sometimes the temp and humidity sensor also drops out, sometimes not.

not related to available sunlight (i think) right now I have bright sun and both the wind and temp/humidity sensors are not sommunicating with the base station.

sensors are some where near the 300' max. but should be ok since this unit is replacing an older orgeon Sc. unit with the same 300' range and that one always worked fine.

I have tried resetting the base station with no luck.  looking for suggestions; I'd really like to get this figured out before the really cold weather hits.

thanks
Mark in MN

Offline sunsluv

• Pamela - near Cleator, AZ in the Bradshaw Mts.
  • But it’s a DRY HEAT!
    • My Wunderground weather station KAZMAYER4 in Arizona
Re: wmr200a wind sensor keeps dropping out
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 10:06:21 PM »
I just installed my new WMR200A today and was also having problems with the wind sensor and rain gauge communicating with the main unit. I wrapped some tin foil around the antenna and now everything is working great. Hope this helps...  :-)

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:05:06 AM »
the antenna boost idea is a good one
even a paper clip can help
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline satbeginner

• Today is not the general rehearsal for tomorrow
    • Living in Spain
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:08:54 AM »
Hi,

have a look at this post:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=4892.0

Similar to the foil a paper-clip works too, even a real mod is possible!

Bye
OS 200, VWS 14

Offline sunsluv

• Pamela - near Cleator, AZ in the Bradshaw Mts.
  • But it’s a DRY HEAT!
    • My Wunderground weather station KAZMAYER4 in Arizona
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
I returned my Oregon Scientific WMR200A due to numerous problems with ALL the sensors.
To replace it I ordered the Davis Vantage VUE and my husband just finished installing it in our yard. So far it is working PERFECTLY! \:D/ I love it!  =D> Check out my new pictures:

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »
One of my 200's is sitting on the bar, probably 15' from the anemometer, it drops out after a day or two, the #2 sensor is on the same mast, it never drops out, but the #1 sensor about 40' with direct line of sight through a window comes and goes like the tide, no reason. The newer 200 seems considerably better, so there is no pattern to the 200's, some work - sometimes - and other almost never work. Personally if I had a product with it's reputation I'd either re-engineer it or dump it. My old 100 console is rock solid, of course it doesn't have the touch screen, also junk, or data logger. A 100 with a data logger dongle would be perfect and take the noise level down a bunch.

Offline WexfordWx

• Wexford Harbour Weather Info
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »
I inherited a WMR200 with anemometer, temp/humidity, rainfall and pool temperature sensors. The WMR200 is mounted on an upstairs office wall (no steelwork). The anemometer is about 150m distant on a public lamp standard above the WMR200 but with the wall in between. The air temp sensor is on a porch soffit somewhat below the 200, the rain gauge is on post about 1m above ground level and the pool thermometer is floating in the River Slaney about 50m from the building contained by a 6" drainage pipe. I have had to replace the rain gauge, pool thermometer and air thermometer as they all failed to transmit after a while. Thank goodness the anemometer has never failed as it is difficult to access. The transmissions from the pool thermometer only succeed if the antenna of the WMR 200 is in line through glass. I wish I had something more reliable. I presume the Davis Vantage would require or have a whole different set of sensors.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:10 AM »
Actually, the problem with the 200 is the console itself near as I can tell. The 100 now uses the same sensors, anemometer etc. and works like a charm. The only things the 100 doesn't have is the hoaky touch screen and data logger but it's a much more sensitive receiver. Both my 200's are very weak in the receiving area, one is bad, the other worse and all the antenna mods etc. made little difference.

Yes, of course Davis is a completely different animal and I'll switch sometime in Sept probably. It's going to put a heck of a dent in the budget, but will be worth it.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:44:14 PM »
After I put proper external antennas on my WMR 100 and WMR 200 I no longer have drop out problems.  Alas the WMR100 occasionally stops talking to the PC USB Port.  It seems a reset is required.  I do have stations in two locations so if I'm not at the station that hangs, It is dead till I get back there.  Right now I'm saving up for a good Davis for the more remote location.  I'm done trying to make the OS stuff robust.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

anything