Author Topic: Resource to identify legalities  (Read 2692 times)

Offline kanewolf

• Weather at Chez Baron
Resource to identify legalities
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »
Does anyone know of a resource which identifies what, if any, notifications about video recording must be posted to be legal?  IF I put a camera up for my weather station and it is filming a public area (a road for example) as well as my property, what are the legal implications?

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Re: Resource to identify legalities
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:14:59 PM »
None... "Public area"...

What can be seen by any person in a public area is generally not restricted in any way--again, that's why it's called "public areas" and not "private areas"... subject to recent homeland security restrictions...

It's seems to be a great popular misconception these days, fueled by the media, that people have some "right" to privacy while in PUBLIC. I guess they just don't get the dicotomy: public vs. private...

Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer...

Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »
I agree with Marc, everything I have read suggests that if it is in public view from my property, it is fine.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 03:24:27 PM »
I agree with these statements also. If it's in public view, it's fair game.

An interesting point. Here in New Hampshire, it isn't illegal to video someone through their window, as long as there isn't audio recorded. Go figure that.

It isn't something I suggest doing, but it isn't illegal. That info came from a state police officer I know.
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:29:36 PM »
Legal or not caution of what your showing the world is still needed.  After all, depending on where you send your data on the net some require longitude and latitude coordinates of which a criminal with a little detective work and a GPS could locate your camera / home, track yours or your neighbors daily routine, make a list of things he sees in view that he would like to steal, plan ahead how to pry open yours or your neighbor's tool shed etc.

Further to that when your neighbor discovers the image of him in only his bvd's out getting the morning paper while no one was around was posted to the web, he may just come over and reinstall your camera in an uncomfortable position under your bvd's.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:31:54 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10