Author Topic: Weather Link Live Not Impressed with VP2  (Read 954 times)

Offline nathanxollier

Weather Link Live Not Impressed with VP2
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:40:06 PM »
I have been using cumulus 1.9.4 with a VP2 for about two years with the Weather Link USB data logger with zero trouble. I can never leave well enough alone!

So i decided to buy the new weather link live and yes it works fine but my problem is you have to pay to archive your data on weatherlink.com if you stay on the free plan i do not see where it keeps any records? I also don't really like how your data is displayed on weatherlink there is no simple HI/LOW temps for the day or MAX Wind speed etc if you go over to a table display view it is there but there is no history of the previous day or record HIGH for the year so i assume you have to pay to see that? or i am just missing it.

I think cumulus has spoiled me. It's not weather link live it's weatherlink.com i don't care for BUT using weather link live keeps the doors closed for software like cumulus i think. Seems like davis makes great hardware but software not so much.

My only complaint about cumulus is it does not keep records of extra temp sensors.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Weather Link Live Not Impressed with VP2
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 01:56:59 AM »
Welcome to the subscription era, but wait there's more, the more you want the more you will pay :) The other thing with WLL is there is nothing like WeatherLink PC into which you can download and analize YOUR data, just stuck with the WL Bulletin & daily summary pages.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 02:37:03 AM »
Don't forget to look at the (free) Weatherlink smartphone app for your station - there's a little more information on eg temperature records there than appears in the summary page of the browser app.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline nathanxollier

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:20 AM »
Don't forget to look at the (free) Weatherlink smartphone app for your station - there's a little more information on eg temperature records there than appears in the summary page of the browser app.

True but i can not find last weeks data on weatherlink.com unless i pay for it? It's my data that i have to pay to see. If you have your VP2 for 10 years that is costly. The app only shows basic stuff it is still missing all time HIGH/LOW etc it only shows daily HIGH/LOW wind etc. I'm sure they will update it sometime.  :-|

I'm not sure i will be keeping the Weather link live. For the price of it i can have a little mini PC with cumulus. It seems that weather link live ID is tagged to your account as well so selling it may be even a issue without calling them. I worry davis will force you in the coming years to use there software and close the door on cumulus etc.

Honestly the weather community has better software than davis it's what made me buy a VP2 in the first place. You guys do great work.  =D>

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:06:55 AM »
True but i can not find last weeks data on weatherlink.com unless i pay for it? It's my data that i have to pay to see.

Um, well. But who is incurring all the cost of storing your data and then making it available to you? That doesn't happen for free and someone has to pay. Right now the deal that Davis are offering is that they will pay for you to see your current conditions data on browser and smartphone apps plus offering other features like embed, alerts etc. But for the full service then you need to pay the equivalent of eg one coffee a month.

The app only shows basic stuff it is still missing all time HIGH/LOW etc it only shows daily HIGH/LOW wind etc. I'm sure they will update it sometime.

Have you really looked at the smartphone app in any detail? What about the bottom Records section and use the left & right arrows, year/month/day controls etc. ICBW but think these are available on the free plan.

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Dave97

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 08:56:30 AM »
True but i can not find last weeks data on weatherlink.com unless i pay for it? It's my data that i have to pay to see.

Um, well. But who is incurring all the cost of storing your data and then making it available to you? That doesn't happen for free and someone has to pay. Right now the deal that Davis are offering is that they will pay for you to see your current conditions data on browser and smartphone apps plus offering other features like embed, alerts etc. But for the full service then you need to pay the equivalent of eg one coffee a month.

The app only shows basic stuff it is still missing all time HIGH/LOW etc it only shows daily HIGH/LOW wind etc. I'm sure they will update it sometime.

Have you really looked at the smartphone app in any detail? What about the bottom Records section and use the left & right arrows, year/month/day controls etc. ICBW but think these are available on the free plan.

I’m on the fence about it. Yes they store your data but weather data is not Terabytes.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
Weather Link Live Not Impressed with VP2
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:07:28 AM »
Your statement in isolation is exactly correct and that is the nature of the subscription cloud business model that is becoming more and more the norm.

On the other side, the API isn’t published but there has been considerable effort and progress by individuals that support Meteobridge and Weather Display (WD) and does include additional sensors.

The integration of the WLL into other products is only at the beginning of it development and no doubt others will come on board as information available or when API is officially released.

WeatherLink has it summary page but without upgrading the data isn’t readily available.

To preview Summaries online go to Share & Uploads > Summary Tab > Preview.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:10:06 AM by Brientim »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
Yes they store your data but weather data is not Terabytes.

For 30,000 users (and growing) uploading detailed multi-sensor JSON data every eg 5 minutes and taken on a timescale of months and years it very possibly is terabytes.

But it's not just the basic storage of course, it's the whole platform costs in processing and presenting the data, plus developer resource to keep improving and maintaining the platform and then plus the cost of providing the inevitable support that users always expect.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Dave97

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »
It’s a nice option for people that want to use it. I just hope we can keep things locally in the feature.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 04:40:59 PM »

Um, well. But who is incurring all the cost of storing your data and then making it available to you?

Yes but they are running a closed house and really not allowing a user to do whatever they want with their own data beyond the purchase price. This is just an up market extension of the WLIP closed house policy, an IP device that was locked to only access a Davis server.

Yes somebody has to pay but at the moment that option is not at the users discretion and WLL compared to say the WLIP connection scenario data wise is even further restricted.

.... then you need to pay the equivalent of eg one coffee a month.

Well luckily Davis don't make coffee otherwise we might all drinking the same brew! But I suppose they would offer an upgrade to a higher blend :)   

anything