Author Topic: WMR968 Outside Sensor Reading Low  (Read 4013 times)

Offline PJDesert

WMR968 Outside Sensor Reading Low
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:28 PM »
My OS 968 has been working great for about 8 years and the outside temp has always registered the daily high within a degree or two of our two local airport stations.  The last month or so I noticed it reads 5-6 degrees lower than the airports when the outside temp gets over 100 degrees.  This is important because we get about 120 days with those temps in the desert.  The lower temps still are close to the other stations.   I have not changed the location of the sensor and I have replaced the batteries recently.

My question is whether there are any parts to adjust or replace inside the sensor?  I took the sun shield off but don't see anything obvious to adjust or replace.  The outside sensor for this model is no longer made by OS but I have seen reference on Amazon reviews to a Radio Shack replacement.  Does anyone have any experience with a replacement outside sensor for the WMR968?

Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WMR968 Outside Sensor Reading Low
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
Hi PJ and welcome to the forum!
Because you say "The last month or so ..." is it possible the sun's angle is changing for the season and now the sensor isn't in as much direct daylight (as the comparison stations are) during the daily high reading? This situation would give symptoms just like this.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:42:44 PM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
I use the 122N outside sensor in place of the THGR968.  They made a 268 once upon a time, but I think it's discontinued.  The 122 is battery powered only, and I think the range is kind of limited.  But it works great and I've been very happy with it.

If you search this forum for 122N or 268 you will find several discussions on the subject.

Good luck!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
8 years.  :shock:  congrats.  Nice time in service for a stock sensor.

Greg mentioned your sensor options.  Just keep in mind those replacements are on channel 1 (2 or 3), so they wont show on your console as "outside".   

If you are running one of the software packages that can swap outside for channel 1, you can sub it on your website or software display

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
Just keep in mind those replacements are on channel 1 (2 or 3), so they wont show on your console as "outside".   

If you are running one of the software packages that can swap outside for channel 1, you can sub it on your website or software display

Andrew

That's an excellent point, Andrew.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline PJDesert

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
Thank you all for the responses.  This is a really neat forum.  And Dan, I do watch for the changing sun angle because it makes a big difference when the sun hits the sensor directly even though it has a white plastic shield.  I use a secondary shield during winter and in November and April to block the sun from the temperature sensor.  I first noticed the change in my outside sensor when it felt much hotter to me than my reading on August 10.  On that day I recorded a high of 110 and Palm Springs airport recorded 116.  I started tracking high temps then compared to local airports and I am always lower than the airports when it gets close to triple digits:  Sept. 22 -  PSP 105, TRM 107, me 98.2.

For the longevity record on the WMR968, I should note that everything has worked well for about 8 years but I have never set up the rain gauge because we get so little here (about 4" per year).

Sensor location makes me hesitant about getting a new station like Davis with integrated sensors that seems so popular.  If the anemometer is placed 10 meters high as recommended and the temperature sensor is up there with it (as on the Davis), it seems the temp on sunny days will read much higher than what it would be at 5 feet in shade.   With all those Davis stations reporting on Wunderground you have to "wonder" which of the readings is closer to true - wind or temperature?

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »
If you want to segate your sensors with an Davis don't buy the vue. I have my annometer up on the antenna tower and rain guage/thermometer located 50 feet away so I can get close to accurate rainfall. The VP2 cost more but what you can do with it is left to your own ideas. At the cabin I havw an OS WMR200 dueto fact it rec ords accurary down to 55 below and is bear and moose proof. This summer an Rainwise system was installed. Have to see how it works after freezeup and can get back to cabin.

anything