Author Topic: How do you disable a sensor in WeeWx?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
How do you disable a sensor in WeeWx?
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:39:50 AM »
Say you have a bad sensor, like for example your humidity sensors goes bad. Instead of sending bad data till you are able to order and replace a bad sensor it would be beneficial to just disable the one sensor.

In WeeWx is it possible to disable just the one sensor for all services?

If possible please give example using humidity sensor.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: How do you disable a sensor in WeeWx?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:04:22 AM »
galfert,

For what type of system? I think for Davis ISS this is not possible. Now if you use separate sensors that are not part of the ISS than you could disable it via the conf file or even at the console itself.

I might be wrong, Hopefully somebody with more weewx experience can chime in or you can head to their google group and ask there.
I have been using weewx for a while and I have not seen such option except for the owfs module.

Edit: If you have a VP2 you can disconnect the sensor from the system itself.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:25 AM »
Yes for Davis VP2.  But ideally I think it should not matter. It would be nice if there was some sort of internal setting in a config file or something.

Disabling at the console or by disconnecting sensor would not be a good option for doing this remotely (station is not local and there is nobody there). It would be better if this was something in WeeWx to control.
Tele-Pole

Offline mwall

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »

one way to do this is to set the sensor value to 'None' using the calibrations.  for example, in your weewx configuration file do this:

Code: [Select]
[StdCalibrate]
    [[Corrections]]
        outHumidity = None
that will make 'outHumidity' have a value of None (which will be a NULL in the database)

m

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »
Matt,
Thank you! That is perfect...just what I was looking for.
Tele-Pole

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 08:14:03 PM »
Did it work?

one way to do this is to set the sensor value to 'None' using the calibrations.  for example, in your weewx configuration file do this:

Code: [Select]
[StdCalibrate]
    [[Corrections]]
        outHumidity = None
that will make 'outHumidity' have a value of None (which will be a NULL in the database)

m

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 10:28:47 PM »
I inquired how to disable a sensor in WeeWx because I was helping a neighbor with their station running WeeWx. They were out of town for a few months and their VP2 humidity went out. There was no remote access to the WeeWx system. When they got back and after they replaced their sensor, I helped them implemented a remote access solution and then informed them how to disable a defective sensor. So this time around it wasn't used, but they are now ready should the need come up, and I've become more savvy. We didn't test the disabling but I have no reason to doubt that it would work.

This is an important solution that all weather station owners should consider for the following reasons:
- Nobody wants bad data in their database and online weather uploads as it corrupts historically reporting.
- Anyone that uploads to CWOP and AWEKAS should realize that they affect neighbor stations with analysis data, and shutting down a bad sensor or complete station is the polite thing to do.
- Live weather data is also used for many important things that may be using your station.
Tele-Pole

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 10:30:59 PM »
Good to know.  Thank you for sharing.

I inquired how to disable a sensor in WeeWx because I was helping a neighbor with their station running WeeWx. They were out of town for a few months and their VP2 humidity went out. There was no remote access to the WeeWx system. When they got back and after they replaced their sensor, I helped them implemented a remote access solution and then informed them how to disable a defective sensor. So this time around it wasn't used, but they are now ready should the need come up, and I've become more savvy. We didn't test the disabling but I have no reason to doubt that it would work.

This is an important solution that all weather station owners should consider for the following reasons:
- Nobody wants bad data in their database and online weather uploads as it corrupts historically reporting.
- Anyone that uploads to CWOP and AWEKAS should realize that they affect neighbor stations with analysis data, and shutting down a bad sensor or complete station is the polite thing to do.
- Live weather data is also used for many important things that may be using your station.