Author Topic: Recommendations for a PWS for extreme cold location  (Read 8258 times)

Offline KeithNyst

Recommendations for a PWS for extreme cold location
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:03 PM »
I am considering installing a personal weather station and connecting it with Weather Underground or similar site.

We live in Embarrass, MN, which on many winter days, is reported as the coldest spot in Minnesota.  Each winter we can expect -40F or lower at least once and -30F many times.   In  1996 it got down to -60F seven miles from our home (state record).

Are there any personal weather stations that will work with this extremely cold temp?  If there are, I would appreciate brand/model recommendations.   Hopefully there are and it won't break the bank to purchase one.

Thank you in advance, Keith 

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
Re: Recommendations for a PWS for extreme cold location
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
Keith,

"Hopefully there are and it won't break the bank to purchase one."

Depends on how big a bank you have. The Davis VP2 has an advertised  temperature range of -40°F to 150°F and the VP2 is not "cheap". To get lower than that you might have to double that cost.

FWIW

George

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:24:57 PM »
The Davis station have a -40 degree temperature limit.  Here are the Davis vs the competition comparison http://www.davisnet.com/weather/d_v_c_specs.pdf
From what I have seen from a far north installation the station will likely not be damaged, just that the temperature will flat line at about -40 degrees.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:11 PM »
Hi from Minneapolis.
Even though we do not get as cold as you, my Davis Vp2 has been able to withstand anything that the cities weather has thrown at it.
It has been in service for 5 years. I use a lithium battery that lasts two years.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:57:46 PM »
I'd move.   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:48:27 AM »
Are there any personal weather stations that will work with this extremely cold temp?  If there are, I would appreciate brand/model recommendations.   Hopefully there are and it won't break the bank to purchase one.

Most consumer stations, including the Davis are lucky if they have "industrial temp" range components rated to -40°C. Even "military" grade parts are rated to -55°C. The cost would be prohibitive for even a "pro-sumer" system like Davis. A quick look at an RM Young temperature sensor and a Vaisala station show calibrated ranges to -50°C.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 10:48:50 AM »
I am considering installing a personal weather station and connecting it with Weather Underground or similar site.

We live in Embarrass, MN, which on many winter days, is reported as the coldest spot in Minnesota.  Each winter we can expect -40F or lower at least once and -30F many times.   In  1996 it got down to -60F seven miles from our home (state record).

Welcome Keith.
I've seen Embarrass, MN on tv or TWC when it's been very cold there  :grin:

Maybe someone from up north like Grump Moose who has some Davis equipment can give you some insight. He's in Anchorage.
http://www.alaskaweatherwatch.com/dwAbout.php

And Fourwatt is in Kenai, Alaska also with Davis Equipment. Probably not as cold where he is.
http://www.kenaiweather.com/wxabout.php

Tony

Tony

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »
In the nonprofessional arena Rainwise is generally considered to be the most robust.    It is high end stuff and so you do pay for it.

http://www.rainwise.com/

Here is a Davis on a Russian icebreaker    that's got to kinda cold.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22975.0

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
In the nonprofessional arena Rainwise is generally considered to be the most robust.    It is high end stuff and so you do pay for it.

http://www.rainwise.com/

Here is a Davis on a Russian icebreaker    that's got to kinda cold.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22975.0

Good specs on the Rainwise, it might be a good choice. They must be using mil-spec parts.

Range: -66° to +166° F; -54° to +74° C.

Greg H.

Offline KeithNyst

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 11:49:17 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback; just what I needed as I was totally in the dark on where to start.   Based on feedback, it looks like I should take a hard at comparing a RainWise Mark III-RTI (-55) vs. a Davis Vantage Pro2 (-40).   

Factors I'll try to research:  Initial cost, longevity of components, cost to replacement components, add'l cost to equip to be able to send data to a site light WeatherUnderground.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:56:47 AM by KeithNyst »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
We live in Embarrass, MN

Just out of curiosity, how did the town get its name?  :oops:

Greg H.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
The name Embarrass was derived from the French word embarras, based on its meaning of "to hinder with obstacles or difficulties". It was given this name by the French fur traders who were some of the first Europeans to visit the area, and who found the narrow, shallow river very difficult to navigate, and named the river "Embarras".  - Wikipedia
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »
I too am anxious to see how my new (I have only had it for 2 weeks) Davis Vantage Pro2 holds up to some of the extreme winter weather we get here in Western Maine as well! I have been using my Oregon Scientific WMR100N for about three years now and it has withstood temps anywhere from -35F to +90F. The only problems I've had with the OS is reception issues from the console to the sensors. Does not receive from up to 300 ft like it states in the manual!

The Davis Vantage Pro2 is currently mounted about 350 feet from the console and I have had steady reception! Davis' reputation for durability will be put to some test once winter hits here again in about 3-4 months!

I would definitely consider getting the Davis Vantage Pro2 in your situation. You will not be disappointed!

- Matt

Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback; just what I needed as I was totally in the dark on where to start.   Based on feedback, it looks like I should take a hard at comparing a RainWise Mark III-RTI (-55) vs. a Davis Vantage Pro2 (-40).   

Factors I'll try to research:  Initial cost, longevity of components, cost to replacement components, add'l cost to equip to be able to send data to a site light WeatherUnderground.

I wouldn't discount the Davis Vue either.  They are said to perform well, even in snow.

Here is the spec sheet:

http://www.vantagevue.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6250_6351_57_SS.pdf

And here is a video posted to youtube by one of the forum members (I hope you don't mind me posting this Steve!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlmKUceel_8
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline KeithNyst

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
The name Embarrass was derived from the French word embarras, based on its meaning of "to hinder with obstacles or difficulties". It was given this name by the French fur traders who were some of the first Europeans to visit the area, and who found the narrow, shallow river very difficult to navigate, and named the river "Embarras".  - Wikipedia

Bushman you are exactly correct on the river ... the town then took it's name from the river, which flows through it. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
Yeah, lots of French origins in US place names.  BTW, wasn;t there some tv game contestant that wrote a book all about  funny/unusual names in each of the 50 states?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline KeithNyst

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »
Does anyone have actual cold weather (-40F for more ) experience with a Davis Vue or Vantage Pro PWS?    From a technical aspect, what is/are the weakest components from a cold temp perspective?   

I'm not sure the the batteries would even operate that cold  (even if the temp sensor is rated to -40); can these be operated with a DC line from a standard wall outlet with the appropriate AC to DC converter?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:17:53 PM by KeithNyst »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 12:01:43 AM »
I'm sure they've been tested that cold but lowest temperature it goes is -39.3 degrees Fahrenheit, according to info from these guys http://www.weatherstationexperts.com/davis-instruments-vantage-pro-2.php#sthash.wyWLWzp7.dpuf

40 below is possible in many areas including cold mountain sinks and valleys. Really too bad Davis doesn't go lower, the Rainwise Mark III-RTI looks to be the best PWS for areas you know could reach -40F.  Or at least have it for a backup. 
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 12:21:14 AM »
Yes, the Davis (Vue) can operate at below -40, just that temperature is not recorded below that.  WU station INUNAVUT2 http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=INUNAVUT2 has been operating in Baffin Island for over 3 years but currently offline due to apparent battery failure and no one there to fix.

Paul

Offline fourwatt

• Kenai Weather Live
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »

Welcome Keith.
I've seen Embarrass, MN on tv or TWC when it's been very cold there  :grin:

Maybe someone from up north like Grump Moose who has some Davis equipment can give you some insight. He's in Anchorage.
http://www.alaskaweatherwatch.com/dwAbout.php

And Fourwatt is in Kenai, Alaska also with Davis Equipment. Probably not as cold where he is.
http://www.kenaiweather.com/wxabout.php

Tony

Tony,
Yes I do get as cold as Anchorage.
We are not that far apart actually. I have had temps. as low as 25 to 30 below F. .
I have had my station up since late 2008 and the only problems I have notice is the super cap.
I am actually looking at acquiring a second VP2 to replace the one I have now and then refurbishing it  to be placed else
where on the peninsula.

I do recommend the Davis myself.

Ken

Offline geewizard

• Wulik
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »
I'm new on this forum but I'm not new to PWS.  I ran a PWS in Fairbanks, AK from 1996 until 2013 when I moved to Washington state. 

My AAG 1-Wire weather station with humidity, and baro pressure worked very well at temps down to -48F.  That's as cold as it got at my site.  That said however, AAG no longer makes their anemometer/wind dir/temp unit.

I plan to replace the AAG 1-wire with a HobbyBoards 1-Wire unit that is very similar.

BTW, Anchorage never gets as cold as Fairbanks.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:13:54 PM by geewizard »
Station 1187

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 06:07:36 PM »
(Shameless promotion here).  I have a whole bunch of 1-Wire stuff I would like to clear out.  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=7815.msg74743#msg74743

There are  several 1-Wire stations in my area that have been running for well over  a decade.  If it was wireless it would be perfect.

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »
I would highly recommend a Davis unit.  I started with a Wizard II in 1994, upgraded to a Monitor II in 2003, added a Vue in 2011, and replaced the Monitor II with a VP2+ in April of this year.  The Monitor II is still in use by my BIL in Mesa,AZ.  Here are the lows recorded from each unit for the months of Dec, Jan, and Feb.

WizII                   MonII                    Vue                    VP2+

Dec         -24.8                  -27.9                   -19.6
Jan          -19.2                  -21.6                   -21.1
Feb         -17.2                  -33.6                   -10.0

The Wizard II is still working, although not in the cold, as a unit to monitor the temperature in my unheated walk out basement.

After looking at these figures, I am not looking forward to my first winter on the VP2+.  It may be time to change zip codes. :lol:
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline toofarout

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 11:49:32 PM »

Hi Keith,
I have also been looking for a pws that will record super low temps.  (I live near Fairbanks, Alaska).
Here is what I have found out so far ...
Rainwise has at least one that keeps recording temperatures down to -66F. [this is the one I need but cannot afford]
Peet Brothers has at least one that keeps recording temps. down to -55F.
*Supposedly* Oregon Scientific has one model that keeps recording temps. down to -58F, but I cannot find evidence of those specs. on their website, so maybe they really actually do not.
About Davis!  Their specs. say down to -40F.  *But* it almost looks as if you can purchase separately (or maybe it is an upgrade) a NIST Traceable temp. sensor for the Vantage Pro2, additional cost of $50 with lowest recording temp. of -50F.
http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06055
I have emailed Davis to ask about it.

Good luck to both of us!
Very glad I found your post, and this forum. 
Sue
Sue
Fairbanks, AK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 04:31:47 AM »
*But* it almost looks as if you can purchase separately (or maybe it is an upgrade) a NIST Traceable temp. sensor for the Vantage Pro2, additional cost of $50 with lowest recording temp. of -50F.
http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06055

That product is not a different probe AFAIK - it's simply the code for getting a calibration check against NIST references performed on a standard VP2 station (or I guess a Vue). Quite what the -50F value is doing there I don't know - it may represent the capability of the reference instrument.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything