Author Topic: Winter '15-'16  (Read 27185 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Winter '15-'16
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 03:19:43 AM »
Refresh of the 7 day this morning shows decent and mild with highs in the 50s and 60s until:

"Thursday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 45"

Not sure what the weekend of the 19th might bring then.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
This El Nino winter is bringing more snow to North Central Nebraska area again. 15" already and 1.2" new so far tonight.
Randy

Offline McCavity

• Jack of many trades
  • Weather Newbie
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 02:41:51 AM »
So that's where all the snow is going... over here in Europe we don't have any, yet. Normally at least the northern parts of Europe, Scandinavia and Russia should be covered in snow at this time but that hasn't happened yet - instead there's a fairly stable high pressure area squatting over Southern Europe pumping warm air to the north. Only in a few mountainous areas there's a bit of snow but not for us in the lower areas...

Best regards,
Henning

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2015, 05:23:11 AM »
Last three years were all below normal for this period.  Even 2012 (blue line) which was so much warmer otherwise.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 07:23:36 AM »
So that's where all the snow is going... over here in Europe we don't have any, yet. Normally at least the northern parts of Europe, Scandinavia and Russia should be covered in snow at this time but that hasn't happened yet - instead there's a fairly stable high pressure area squatting over Southern Europe pumping warm air to the north. Only in a few mountainous areas there's a bit of snow but not for us in the lower areas...

Best regards,
Henning

Does seem like this area across Nebraska is the bulls-eye for some reason. 3.8" last night and the new forecast calling for 3-5" more Tuesday. We are now over 17 inches this winter.

A STRONG STORM SYSTEM WILL CROSS THE REGION TUESDAY INTO TUESDAY
NIGHT. SNOW IS LIKELY WITH THIS SYSTEM. AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS
THAT 3 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW IS LIKELY...WITH LOCALLY HEAVIER
AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. GUSTY NORTH WINDS TUESDAY NIGHT MAY CAUSE
BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IN SPOTS.

Randy

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »
I've had 0.1" of snow this season in Rome, NY That was in November. December here has a trace. Even Syracuse
hasn't even had 1" of measurable snow this season. Last year there were already at 2'
Tony

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
We did get a couple of light snow fall early this year, in October and November.  But nothing in December yet and the temps are way above normal so certainly not an early Great Lakes freeze-over this winter.  So when (edit: if) the cold and snow comes we could be in for some doozers of lake effect snow.

Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 08:01:28 AM »
Upcoming snow forecast through Wednesday. Looks like a snow-maker western states through my area which appears to be the bullseye on the plains again. Not sure if this holds up with talk of limited moisture by the forecasters but models still projecting 8" in my area. If anything models have underestimated recent snow in this area. 

Whats interesting this storm along with earlier storms this year, continue to fizzle going eastward.
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 08:28:31 AM »
Looked this up a bit ago.  Latest first measurable snowfall shows as February 2, but there are at least 3 Winters showing with no measurable snowfall recorded.  I'm hoping for 4 :-)  Or at least to set a new latest first record.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 09:48:01 AM »
we have had a tad over 4 inches of rain, it is 34 degrees and we have snow.  I doubt the snow will stick as the ground is warm and of course all these puddles of rain. Later this week, ah tomorrow, the temps are dropping ..

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
I have been keeping track of snow since the winter of '06-'07 and the average amount of snow on the ground for the 15th of December is 11.19".  The most on this date was 16.75" in '07.  Received 9.8" last night and now have between 21 and 22 inches on the ground.  At this rate I may have to add to my snow stake.  ](*,)

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »
It definitely looks like your smaller stake is going the way of the polar bear.   From today's radar, it appears you are going to need to hoof out there and do it. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »
Looking like this snow is coming in on low side of projections unless it continues throughout the night. Currently 4.5" of new. Projections had 6" by 6pm central. I did send a Cocorahs significant weather report in at 4". 
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »
First negative temperature -4F ,(-20C) with clear sky, still have another hour to fall.  Windchill -14F range.
Randy

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 09:02:36 AM »
The lake effect snow machine is firing up the next few days.
I'll get maybe 2", but not too far north will be in the bullseye off of Lake Ontario.
Tony

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 10:30:24 AM »
The lake effect snow machine is firing up the next few days.
I'll get maybe 2", but not too far north will be in the bullseye off of Lake Ontario.

So do these lake effect snows vary from storm to storm, or are certain areas hit more often than not? 
Randy

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
Most winters with a predominant west wind, the Tug Hill Plateau usually cashes in from between
250-400" of snow in a season. I'm in the 100" area where I am.

For me being SE of Lake Ontario, I need a NW wind. The fetch across the lake isnt as good as the 200+ miles one
with west winds, but I've had a few 4" per hour snowfall rates at my house too. Each snow dump just depends on
if the air is cold vs the lake temp. This weekend they're predicting some convection with thunder & lightning & snow.

It's really cool. I've experienced this a few times. It's like a summer thunderstorm except it snows like you wont believe
along with the wind and lightning.
Tony

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »

It's really cool. I've experienced this a few times. It's like a summer thunderstorm except it snows like you wont believe
along with the wind and lightning.
Absolutely! I haven't seen thundersnow since I was a kid outside of Cleveland. The way the entire sky flashes blue (you never see the bolt) and then the thunder is something to experience. :shock:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2015, 04:14:57 PM »
The airport came in tied 4th coldest with 4 other stations. 2 out of Nebraska. (-8)
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2015, 04:40:32 PM »
The airport came in tied 4th coldest with 4 other stations. 2 out of Nebraska. (-8)
You can have it. I've already had 8 days this month below freezing and ready for it to take a hike.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »
You can have it. I've already had 8 days this month below freezing and ready for it to take a hike.

I know, it was so cold my tire pressure sensor went off and needs reset now. What a pain, you have to train each tire individually. Did I say just how stupid our government can be with regulations. Most people would air tires up and ignore the alarm forever, so if a tire was actually low they would never know. I'll wait on a much warmer day to start this project.
Randy

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »

Whiner. :grin: Since October 1, I have had 72 days that got below freezing, 6 days below zero, and 43 days with snow on the ground.  I don't expect to see bare ground until late April, if I am lucky. #-o  But I love where I live.  I put up with the winters for the awesome summers.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:21:52 PM by zackdog »
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »

Whiner. :grin:
I knew one of you cold folks would slap me down. ;)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »

I know, it was so cold my tire pressure sensor went off and needs reset now. What a pain, you have to train each tire individually. Did I say just how stupid our government can be with regulations. Most people would air tires up and ignore the alarm forever, so if a tire was actually low they would never know. I'll wait on a much warmer day to start this project.
Can you say litigious?

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2015, 11:42:48 PM »

-8  that still shorts and T-shirt weather.

John

anything