Author Topic: 2012 Monsoon Season has it really began in Arizona??  (Read 22003 times)

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
Re: 2012 Monsoon Season has it really began in Arizona??
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 02:29:24 PM »
Hi Larry,

Thought I was on the bottom of the pile.

Been crazy around here. Another haboob yesterday - or maybe Saturday - but not here in my area. Been getting ver little, if any, rain here, but other areas of the valley have been getting swamped. Most evenings lately I get some of the nastiest looking clouds I've ever seen directly overhead, but they refuse to give up the wet stuff. Weird...
John
W7JKG

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »
Been getting ver little, if any, rain here, but other areas of the valley have been getting swamped. Most evenings lately I get some of the nastiest looking clouds I've ever seen directly overhead, but they refuse to give up the wet stuff. Weird...

It's been strange like that here too.  Other areas of the Las Vegas Valley have gotten hammered at times high winds/hail/heavy rain. 
Here...It gets dark, thunder (just enough to scare the dog) a few big drops, then it moves away to dump on someone else.  :evil:

Hopefully that will change with this latest influx of moisture.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »
Finally I got to see what a real thunderstorm during the monsoon should look like with heavy rain and lightning and thunder and 1.73 inches  :shock: of rain!!!

Unfortunately that storm was nowhere near North Phoenix :sad: but in :roll: Northeast Tucson. Where I was at the time......

Thunderstorm runoff in the Ventana Canyon Wash July 29th, 2012 - Near Tucson, Arizona

Back home in North Phoenix the rainfall was nothing compared to that storm the two day total Sat/Sun was slightly better than what I been getting so far this strange Monsoon 0.33 inches.... but when all said and done the stats don't lie
With 1 day to go July rainfall is only 0.68 inches the 7th driest  on record stats go back to 1997 and for the year 2.02 inches remains the driest on record thru July 30th!!

Jeanette
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:24:46 PM by AZmonsooncats »
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 04:18:34 AM »
Drove up to Phoenix for a Met game on Thursday and just south of Queen's Creek, west of I-10 there had to be at least 15 decent size dust devils dancing around in a row by those mountains. It was uncanny. That whole stretch was spawning them everywhere. A good one crossed I-10 and a pickup truck got nailed with a 3' x 4' piece of sheet metal. Wrapped over his grill and hood like tin foil.

It made me wonder what the result would be when there were enough to be running shoulder to shoulder.

South of Tuscon on Friday nite, I drove thru a pretty large downpour for a few miles. Other than that - hot and dry Thursday and Friday out there.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 08:36:40 AM »
Drove up to Phoenix for a Met game on Thursday and just south of Queen's Creek, west of I-10 there had to be at least 15 decent size dust devils dancing around in a row by those mountains. It was uncanny.
Yes there are frequent dust devils in that area - I live in Maricopa and drive that route to the valley daily and see dust devils on pretty much any given day between March and October.  It's kind of like the stretch of I-10 out around Lordsburg where they show up on a regular basis.  That same area around the I-10/Queen Creek Rd. interchange got hammered on Sunday with rain after the haboob rolled thru into the Phoenix metro area - gotta love the monsoon in Arizona :)
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
there's been a lot of talk here about how variable the monsoon has been point to point.  I was pretty frustrated early on in the season, it seemed like all the action was either to the left or right of me.  But that really turned around.  Looking at my July data, I racked up 5.07" for the month, and I had 14 days of measurable rain in July (almost a 50% probability of precip for the month!)

I poked around at some of the personal weather stations in or near Sedona, and I found these July totals, all within about 3 miles of my site:  5.07", 3.17", 4.07", 6.90" and 7.07".   I wasn't surprised to see some variabiity, because we all know that the monsoon rains can come in pretty narrow cells.  I was surprised that the range was over a factor of 2 1/2 for the month, just within a stones throw of each other.  It kind of tells you how misleading the "official" statistcs can be, especially if they are based on a single NOAA site at some airport.

oh, and my new puppy has gotten used to the thunder, which is a good thing.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »
Hi Larry,

Thought I was on the bottom of the pile.

Been crazy around here. Another haboob yesterday - or maybe Saturday - but not here in my area. Been getting ver little, if any, rain here, but other areas of the valley have been getting swamped. Most evenings lately I get some of the nastiest looking clouds I've ever seen directly overhead, but they refuse to give up the wet stuff. Weird...

Sorry John, got a decent drink of rain here on the east side of Vegas last night 0.29in.  This brings us to 0.55in for the season and 1.04in for the year.
I guess you're back at the bottom of the pile again.  :sad:
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
I guess you're back at the bottom of the pile again.  :sad:

Figures - and in more ways than just this...   :-(
John
W7JKG

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »
Well the final stats are in for a pretty disappointing July.

I was at Fry's there at 32nd and Bell which I know is right near you John and it was dry as a bone I went a mile  north of there and a little rain and then when I got home discovered a little rain in the gauge but nothing to celebrate the 5 minute downpour produced 0.08 inches and a nice rainbow followed but....the truth is...

July 2012 closes 0.08 inches from a brief thunderstorm bringing the monthly total to 0.76 inches
Which is -0.46 inches below normal and makes this July the 7th Driest on record  :shock:
The drought continues as 2012 is now the 2nd driest year on record thru July 31st!!
Only 1997 had less rain thru July 31st with 2.04 inches compared with 2.10 inches this year  :-(

Further to North the Anthem / New River area got hit hard again with street flooding and 1.5 inches of rain
This was a very isolated storm as the strange Monsoon Season continues with some areas receiving more rain
than normal and other areas very little... for an active season 2012 has been a big disappointment so far.

Last year another dry year had 2.36 inches  :shock: for July the 3rd wettest what a difference a year makes..

Jeanette
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:53:14 PM by AZmonsooncats »

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline Lefty

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »
Well, it looks like John wins for losing in July. Congratulations !   =D>  

Totals for July, in order of winning... or losing...

John (NE Phoenix):          .35"
Larry (Vegas):                .55"
Steve (NW Peoria):         .71"
Jeanette (N Phoenix):      .76"
Matt (Mesa):                1.04+" (lowest of his 4 sites)
Pat (Las Cruces)           1.31"
Old Tele Man (Marana):  3.38" (Really ?!? If I were him I'd be installing outboard motors on my house at this point)
Casa Manana (Sedona): 5.07" (OK, enough's enough... Sedona is near Seattle, right ?)

Good luck to everyone for August rainfall !
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:12:49 PM by Lefty »
-Steve- Peoria, AZ
Acu-rite 01515. That's it. No web page, no links, just me and my console.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
Well, it looks like John wins for losing in July. Congratulations !   =D> 

John (NE Phoenix):          .35"
Larry (Vegas):                .55"
Steve (NW Peoria):         .71"
Jeanette (N Phoenix):      .76"
Matt (Mesa):                1.04+" (lowest of his 4 sites)
Old Tele Man (Marana):  4.xx+" (Looking for his latest, but does it really matter ? I'd be installing outboard motors on my house at this point)
Casa Manana (Sedona): OK, enough's enough... Sedona is near Seattle, right ?

Great idea :idea: compiling the data this way, Steve! 

Perhaps we should include totals from others such as those in New Mexico, Utah, SE CA...etc.
that regularly receive rain from the North American Monsoon.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Lefty

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »
Great idea :idea: compiling the data this way, Steve! 

Perhaps we should include totals from others such as those in New Mexico, Utah, SE CA...etc.
that regularly receive rain from the North American Monsoon.

I'll see what I can do if everyone wants to PM me their monthly totals (and where they are from if it isn't obvious). I'll update my post above with any updates I receive. Corny remarks will remain, however...
-Steve- Peoria, AZ

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »
Well the final stats are in for a pretty disappointing July.

I was at Fry's there at 32nd and Bell which I know is right near you John and it was dry as a bone I went a mile  north of there and a little rain and then when I got home discovered a little rain in the gauge but nothing to celebrate the 5 minute downpour produced 0.08 inches and a nice rainbow followed but....the truth is...

I shop there, and I'll bet a nickel we've probably crossed paths without even knowing it.

Yes, July has been dismal and disappointing. As you mentioned, the extremely narrow band of severe storms that hit the Anthem area yesterday made a tremendous mess. Some of the homes have been condemned, others are heavily damaged. Very sad.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:32:36 PM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
Well, it looks like John wins for losing in July. Congratulations !   =D>

Thanks, Lefty (I think). I definitely expect a very expensive prize for that...   :roll:
John
W7JKG

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
Here's my (NE) Las Cruces data which includes the one day when I had 0.69" in a quick storm while nobody else had anything...  :???:

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Lefty

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »
Well, it looks like John wins for losing in July. Congratulations !   =D>  

John (NE Phoenix):          .35"
Larry (Vegas):                .55"
Steve (NW Peoria):         .71"
Jeanette (N Phoenix):      .76"
Matt (Mesa):                1.04+" (lowest of his 4 sites)
Pat (Las Cruces)           1.31"
Old Tele Man (Marana):  3.38" (Really ?!? If I were him I'd be installing outboard motors on my house at this point)
Casa Manana (Sedona): 5.07" (OK, enough's enough... Sedona is near Seattle, right ?)

Just updated my original post with Pat's and Old Tele Man's updates. Just for a point of reference, here are the average annual rainfalls for a couple of the areas around here:

Phoenix:      8.3"
Tucson:     12.2"
Vegas:        4.5"
Las Cruces:  9.9"
Sedona:     17.2"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:13:22 PM by Lefty »
-Steve- Peoria, AZ

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2012, 09:41:16 PM »
THE NONSOON Continues....

Just 110+ heat for a week now  and 0.00 inches of rain for August so far.....

The year todate is only 2.10 inches... the driest on record thru Aug 13th..

Driest Years on record in North Phoenix thru Aug 10th since 1997...

1. 2012 ---- 2.10 inches
2. 2002 ---- 2.35 inches
3. 2009 ---- 2.95 inches
4. 1997 ---- 3.05 inches
5. 2011 ---- 5.04 inches

Jeanette

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »
Interesting what a difference a hundred miles makes.  Your experience with the driest monsoon through 13th August in Phoenix, contrasts with my wettest through that same period up here in Sedona (going back to 2001).  5.23" this season, compared to previous high of 4.1" in 2005.  My avereage for this time is 2.92" (monsoon season only).  I guess you can say it's episodic and regional.

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2012, 05:01:14 AM »
Well late this evening we finally got a break from the heatwave and the so called Monsoon  :roll: tried to to return with another "Ninety 98 Pound Weakling Storm" W :roll: W........ 0.09 inches. The monsoon total is all the way up to 0.85 inches ](*,) The only thing the storm really did was prevent the low of 90°F...... Last year's total for the monsoon thru today was 2.74 inches and the yearly total was 5.28 inches....
Normal Monsoon Season total is 3.22 inches......

SKY HABOR OFFICIAL TOTALS ARE 0.96 Inches for July and now 0.05 inches August for 1.01 inches Season total.

Interesting what a difference a hundred miles makes.  Your experience with the driest monsoon through 13th August in Phoenix, contrasts with my wettest through that same period up here in Sedona (going back to 2001).  5.23" this season, compared to previous high of 4.1" in 2005.  My avereage for this time is 2.92" (monsoon season only).  I guess you can say it's episodic and regional.

Just to clarify this is the driest year on record from Jan 1st to Aug 14th with 2.19 inches. The monsoon ranks as the 5th driest Monsoon thru Aug 14th and second driest for the entire Monsoon season total..... details are at http://pepperridgenorthvalley.com/monsonrn.html

Here a list of the  Driest Monsoon's on record thru 8/14
Top Driest Monsoon's thru Aug 14th............
1.    2009 with 0.45 inches  ---- Season total for 2009 was 0.69 inches the driest ever!!!
2.    2000 with 0.47 inches
3.    2010 with 0.59 inches
4.    2001 with 0.75 inches
5.    2012 with 0.85 inches

Driest Years on record are:

Driest Years on Record thru Aug 14th
1.    2012 ------ 2.19 inches
2.    2002 ------ 2.35 inches
3.    1997 ------ 3.07 inches
4.    2009 ------ 3.27 inches
5.    2007 ------ 3.90 inches

Jeanette
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:24:03 AM by AZmonsooncats »

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2012, 07:05:21 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear you once again got the thin end of the storm.  I was in the Chandler/South Tempe area when it was getting hammered last night, then when I got home I found we had 0.24" from the storm so far (and it's still lightly raining outside  \:D/ ).

So far since July 15 (when I installed Cumulus on my newly built computer) I've got 0.71" for the season and I know I have at least a couple more from before that but I still need to consolidate my data from the other computer.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Lefty

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »
Well late this evening we finally got a break from the heatwave and the so called Monsoon  :roll: tried to to return with another "Ninety 98 Pound Weakling Storm" W :roll: W........ 0.09 inches. The monsoon total is all the way up to 0.85 inches ](*,) The only thing the storm really did was prevent the low of 90°F...... Last year's total for the monsoon thru today was 2.74 inches and the yearly total was 5.28 inches....

Be glad you got that... Here on the NW side of town we only got .02". Plenty of lightning and thunder, tho... I'm just happy I decided to go back to bed instead of stay up and watch the non-storm.
-Steve- Peoria, AZ

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear you once again got the thin end of the storm.  I was in the Chandler/South Tempe area when it was getting hammered last night, then when I got home I found we had 0.24" from the storm so far (and it's still lightly raining outside  \:D/ ).

So far since July 15 (when I installed Cumulus on my newly built computer) I've got 0.71" for the season and I know I have at least a couple more from before that but I still need to consolidate my data from the other computer.

WOW  :shock: Kevin you only had 0.24 inches down on your side of Maricopa I saw a station on the Southwestern Weather Network (SWN) in the Cobblestone Farms area that recorded 1.94 inches  :shock: from the same storm and when you add July's total for that station which was 3.69 inches they has 5.63 inches for the Monsoon a total RAIN HOG.....

Last night I saw a storm form about 5 miles south of me  just south of Piestewa peak and the Maricopa county flood gauge in that are showed one small location got 0.75 inches but that storm moved south and all I saw was debris showers from the outflow that did not last long at all..

This has been a strange and unusual Monsoon because the disparity of rainfall seem more drastic than normal with some areas getting hit again and again and areas like hear the North Valley which usually see more rain are left high a dry.. I cannot believe places like Blythe, Ca, Lake Havasu City and Yuma, Az have had more rain than Phoenix and even the airport usually one the driest spots in town has done slightly better..

At least we broke the heat wave for now but we really need rain to fall in places that haven't seen much at all this summer....

Jeanette
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:02:52 PM by AZmonsooncats »

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
Hmm, not sure where his 1.94" came from, maybe he has a cloud magnet  :-P

Also I made a mistake with my total, we had 0.23" prior to midnight which I forgot to add in so 0.47" total for the storm Tuesday night.  Maybe I should go wash both cars and plan on doing some imaging with my telescope this weekend, that should guarantee some kind of moisture :D
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
monsoon conditions seem to be set up pretty good for the next couple of days.  lots of moisture pouring in across the Mexican border.

Offline Lefty

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2012, 08:21:24 AM »
We finally got our monsoon last night in NW Phoenix ! No more of this "Non-soon" stuff from me as I received... 1.27" !  :shock:

Most of it fell within a 1 hour period starting at 8:30pm where I got .74" during that time. Some periods had rates of 2"/hr, but it didn't stop after 5 minutes in the normal AZ fashion, it just kept on coming. Top winds here were 21 mph, but it was rather constant for the entire time. No signs of flooding or storm damage, but it is still dark outside and I haven't gone on my morning run yet.
-Steve- Peoria, AZ

anything