Author Topic: Critters in Transmitter Case  (Read 840 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Critters in Transmitter Case
« on: September 09, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »
I generally check my sensors when I go out side, particularly after interesting weather, for loose connections.  The ISS is fine, but.. the soil sensor and those that have that odd grommet on the bottom,  critters have invaded the cases.   Usually a beetle of sorts. Now how they can stand the heat in those boxes beat me.   

I am thinking after blowing them out of the box, putting some goo on the inside of those grommets to keep them out.   I had thought of buying some Shoe Goo ,  opening up the cases, putting in the goo and leave the cases to dry with air circulating.

Davis has never really thought out about  wires going in and out of the various units.   Take for example that narrow port for the ISS.  If you have a FARS and then need to remove the temp/humid  lead,  it can be a pain , worrying if you are going to snap off the plastic clip on the lead.  I have the fully populated ISS. so I have to remove a lot.  Still that plug does keep the critters out.

You might want to go to Scaled Instruments and snag a few of those foam rubber plugs as they do dry out and be come brittle over time.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Critters in Transmitter Case
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 01:33:21 PM »
Sugru is a "moldable glue" that works nicely in some applications like this.

https://sugru.com/about

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Critters in Transmitter Case
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:41:19 PM »
Sugru is a "moldable glue" that works nicely in some applications like this.

https://sugru.com/about

Thank you. I will give it a try.