Author Topic: Not really help, more of a survey  (Read 3368 times)

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
Not really help, more of a survey
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:26:23 PM »
Been thinking about overhauling the web site once again. Trying to decide what needs to be there that isn't already and what may be there that is unnecessary. Here are the basics:

Current Conditions
Local & Regional Radar
National Satellite
Forecast
Warnings
Severe Weather Outlook
Web Cam
NOAA Radio
Live Weather (Weather Flash)
An Archive
Local Info
Contact Page

Just wondering what else you all think would be appropriate to add. I would like to supply useful information without overkill. Mesomap, Metars, etc.

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
Re: Not really help, more of a survey
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:05:20 PM »
To speak frankly,

I think the No. 1 change would be to completely redo the home page, which currently is more of an "intro" page.

As a user, your home page is a waste of my time. I want to see a summary of radar, forecast, current conditions, etc.

Right now, I have to go to the main page... click on current conditions... click on local radar... click on forecast... click on webcam... I'm doing a lot of clicking. I don't find the site that useful... perhaps I'll visit WU (way too much info on the main page) or Weather.com (way too slowly loading... heavy on ads and sparse on weather info).

The main page should be a summary page and then, from there, I'll seek more info if I want it.

That's pretty much what I think, other than combining the local and regional (throw national in there) radar into one page.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 07:39:11 AM »
Thanks for the opinion, just one question.
way too slowly loading... heavy on ads and sparse on weather info

Meaning the main page is way too slow loading? :?:

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:53:59 AM »
Quote from: "NoQuitters"
Thanks for the opinion, just one question.
way too slowly loading... heavy on ads and sparse on weather info

Meaning the main page is way too slow loading? :?:

Oh sorry, I was speaking of the weaknesses of WU and Weather.com and why folks might prefer us little guys over them.

perhaps I'll visit WU (way too much info on the main page) or Weather.com (way too slowly loading... heavy on ads and sparse on weather info).

Your pages load very quickly.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:23:14 AM »
I have to agree with carterlake. You have to do a bunch of clicking before you can see any weather data. Your main page need to contain some weather data.

Now, I ask the same question. What can I do to improve my web page?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:47:16 AM »
It may be best for those seeking suggestions to start new threads.  If we have multiple people cross-posting, this could get confusing in a hurry...

NoQuitters,
I'll echo carterlake's sentiments regarding your home page.  The page you're using would be a nice "About" page, though.

I do think with the temperature extremes your area can experience, that some kind of mesomap or local current weather summary would be a nice addition to your site.

Even if you don't have a lightning detector, I might suggest adding some kind of lightning page to your site, even if you have to resort to using national maps from USPLN/The Weather Channel, StrikeStar, Ackyewweather, and so on.  When there are storms around, people will search for radar and lightning sources.

An earthquakes page might be another idea.  We don't get a lot of them here, but we're both close enough to the New Madrid fault to follow it.  We also experience minor earthquakes that can occasionally be felt as well.

Kevin

P.S. -- Your NOAA Weather Radio stream sounds much better, by the way!  :D

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 03:06:24 PM »
Far be it from me for suggesting an improvement because I'm not real good at this, but check your stats page and see what page gets the most visits. You don't need a whole lot of info on the first page just what most people  are looking for.
Also I would do a regional sat pic as opposed to a national one. People in Kansas probably aren't interested in whether or not its cloudy in Maine.
Just my two cents.

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 05:18:12 PM »
Your web site isn't getting bashed NoQuitters, they are suggestions on what you can do with it. My first site was like yours. I think yours looks easy on the eyes, and tidey.
Look at other web sites in the personal weather station topic. I've looked at all of them before sketching out a start page based off of what I liked there.
The rule to follow is to keep your primary information on the start page and additional information on other pages.

Good luck!

anything