Author Topic: Need very small weather bug for web site  (Read 8146 times)

Offline jdetray

Need very small weather bug for web site
« on: March 11, 2007, 03:41:55 AM »
I'm the volunteer web master for my radio control flying club. I'd like to add a very small display of current weather data to the site. I've searched for ready-made solutions but have not found anything that meets our needs.

Specifically, I want to display temperature, humidity, wind speed, and wind direction. An added bonus would be the inclusion of a small icon indicating sky conditions (clear, partly cloudy, showers, etc.). I want to display this info in an area no larger than 100 pixels wide by 30 pixels high, and I want to place the data on a background color of my choice with a font and font color of my choice.

It should look something like this:

I need some pointers about how this might be accomplished. I have some experience writing Perl scripts, so I'm not opposed to doing some programming. But I need guidance about how to get started, where to get the raw data from, etc.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Need very small weather bug for web site
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 04:03:05 AM »
There are some folks here who might be able to get you closer to what you want, but here is one idea:

http://bcswebco.com/weatherstickers.shtml

Magnet 1 gives you the conditions you want but it's a bit bigger that 100 x 30.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:42:06 AM »
With a little customization, you could do this with Anole's weather sticker PHP script.   The 100x30 size is not in the current script set, but could be added without much programming.

The source for the data is either a small stickertags.htm file uploaded by your weather software or for Weather-Display users, the real-time clientraw.txt file.

My sig image below is made using this script (as are a lot of the sigs on the forum).

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 10:43:25 AM »
If you are up for a little programming, Anole's excellent PHP sticker script could be modified to make an image the size you want.

http://www.wxforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=21

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 11:49:31 AM »
The sticker script will automatically detect the size of the background image and use that as the output image size which makes changing the sticker size pretty easy. All you have to do is modify the config.txt to move the text around so it fits into the new size.

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 12:11:38 PM »
I don't believe they have a weather station so it would be very hard to get the data in the wanted format.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 12:52:27 PM »
Try this...

http://www.weatherforyou.com/snapshots/

If there's nothing there that fits I do custom sizes, data sets, etc.  ;)
Joe Torsitano

Offline jdetray

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 10:34:18 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

We do not have our own weather station, so we'll have to use data from somewhere else, assuming that is possible.

We are not a profit-making organization, so there is essentionally no budget for this. If I can't do it myself or get it done for free, we'll live without it.

There is plenty of free weather info for use on web sites. We're currently using one at the bottom of our home page. But I've never seen anything small enough to put into the small space at the top of our page.

Maybe the easiest solution is to redesign the site to accommodate an existing weather product. That might ultimately be less work than creating something to fit the small space available in the current design.

- Jeff

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 11:21:28 PM »
Quote from: "jdetray"
We are not a profit-making organization, so there is essentionally no budget for this. If I can't do it myself or get it done for free, we'll live without it.

As long as the image links to weatherforyou.com, and has weatherforyou.com branding on it, use of those products is free.

There is plenty of free weather info for use on web sites. We're currently using one at the bottom of our home page. But I've never seen anything small enough to put into the small space at the top of our page.

Like I say, I'll do custom designs, still for free as noted above.  In fact, considering the hundred of sites I've already done custom designs for, there's a chance I have something ready to go.  I just need to know the specs and if you're really interested in using weatherforyou.com products.
Joe Torsitano

Offline jdetray

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 12:57:06 AM »
Hi Joe -

I am very much interested in a custom weather display for our web site. After experimenting with different sizes and designs, I would like something like this:

The size is 140x40 pixels. Wind direction and speed get prominent placement, since they are quite important to radio control aircraft pilots.

Here is a test page showing how I would use it on our club web site:
Weather Test Page

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 01:24:27 AM »
Can this be done?

Absolutely!  Give me a couple days and I'll have something worked up.  Thanks for the example... it'll make designing the template much easier.
Joe Torsitano

Offline jdetray

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 11:53:25 PM »
Thanks, Joe! That sound great.

I'm already using a couple of your weather gadgets on the site, but I look forward to one that fits into the header a bit better.

- Jeff

anything