Author Topic: Station History format on PWSweather.com  (Read 3714 times)

Offline superduty

Station History format on PWSweather.com
« on: January 05, 2016, 03:26:44 PM »
Is there a way to see the station history in an hourly format vs 1 minute format?  For example:

http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/JSRANCH.html  My station history shows in one minute increments.  Is there a way to change that view? 

TIA

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Station History format on PWSweather.com
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »
I think the answer is no.  From what I understand it depends on how often/interval you upload.  Sending once an hour then would show hourly.
How often should I post to the PWSweather servers?
Typically official National Weather Service (NWS) stations update every half-hour or every hour. While the software can upload more often and our servers will allow updates as often as your software will allow, a half-hour upload schedule is suitable.

Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:56:29 PM »
I don't see the point in uploading every 1 minute. The graphs get completely unreadable. The temperature fluctuates normally a half a degree to a degree here and there and when it gets graphed you just see this thick line with no way to precisely determine the temp from the graph at any given moment. The same ...or rather worse happens with wind data. The Wind is just a mess of dots and lines too close to make sense of, as it all runs together. Not enough resolution in the current graphs.

What I have found is that the optimal upload frequency for PWS (WeatherForYou) is every 10 minutes.  I'm using a Meteobridge where the options were 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60 minute upload frequency. Only every 10 minutes produces the most detailed and acceptable graphs.

I noticed a lot of stations set for 1 minute. I don't get it...why?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:59:09 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 09:19:48 AM »
What I have found is that the optimal upload frequency for PWS (WeatherForYou) is every 10 minutes.  I'm using a Meteobridge where the options were 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60 minute upload frequency. Only every 10 minutes produces the most detailed and acceptable graphs.

I noticed a lot of stations set for 1 minute. I don't get it...why?

Simple - Because not everyone uses the data the way you use it. (i.e. for other reasons than the graphs)
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »
More likely that they are coming from WU-think, where even "rapid fire" isn't frequent enough.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »
Simple - Because not everyone uses the data the way you use it. (i.e. for other reasons than the graphs)

Okay...I suppose that makes sense. Maybe they want to see more immediate live results. Or maybe they are extracting the data for graphing on other software. I suppose the options are endless. Good to have choices. Too bad the graphs use every data point though. They should do like WU does with their graphs, like you upload on rapidfire but the graphs only plot a lesser frequency.

More likely that they are coming from WU-think, where even "rapid fire" isn't frequent enough.....

"They" are coming from WU? You mean the data is coming from WU (not possible that I know of) or "They" the user is coming from WU as in they left WU and now use PWS.  I think you probably mean the latter. In which case yep they want live data and maybe don't care about unreadable graphs.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
I case anyone is curious visualizing what I'm talking about here are some screen shots of Wind graph where it is really bad when you upload too frequently. I only started uploading to PWS 2 days ago so this is all I have to show. But it was immediately apparent to me that I had to increase to 10 minute uploads.

So for what its worth here are my screen shot comparisons.

And for the record I'm not telling others what to do with their station. I do understand everyone has their methods and reasons to do things differently.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:11:12 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole